Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Do When Life Is Too Much?
What Do You Do When Life Is Too Much?
Let's face it, we all have moments when we're just barely holding it together. Heck, that sometimes describes weeks, months, years at a time for me.
In the past I would have reached for lots of food - more sugar, please.
The article below talks about exercise as self-medication.
I find that the more I physically move, even if it's without a specific purpose, the less chance anxiety has to chase me down and beat me up. Keeping my brain busy helps, too.
What do you do when you're just barely holding it together?

Quote:"What do you do, reader, when the imps of agitation are upon you? When they’re running up and down your insides, each with his little wavering bouffant of blue flame, making the present tense an almost impossible place to be? Do you have a drink? Take a pill? Reach for your laptop? Shovel a drooping, dripping slice of pizza into your face? Because if America—as John Updike beautifully observed—is a conspiracy to make you happy, it is also a conspiracy to make you anxious, violent, horny, and obese."
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...ty/508766/
RE: What Do You Do When Life Is Too Much?
I mostly eat and cry
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
Watch a good movie, read a good book, listen to some great music, immerse myself in great art until I'm ready for primetime again. That usually works well for me.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I think most of us have been there too, Jello. Smile
Writing while I listen to music. Music makes the world go round for me and I feel like it can express how I am feeling no matter my mood.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Oh, and play games.

Nothing like being the hunter in the depths, preying on the convoys, to make me feel slightly happier when i'm down.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
Music is awesome. Listening to the right song at the right time can put me in a whole different mood.
I usually have the urge to be completely alone when it feels like things are going downhill. Let my thoughts and emotions sort itself out with very little distractions. 

I do workout, but its done more out of passion, not so i can feel good about myself.
I'm old school.

I just think about those millions in third world countries with "nothing" to complain about and it tends to put me back in my place....

I also became an expert at lowering my expectations in life untill I'm just above the ever shifting content line...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 10, 2017 at 11:03 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I'm old school.

I just think about those millions in third world countries with "nothing" to complain about and it tends to put me back in my place....

I also became an expert at lowering my expectations in life untill I'm just above the ever shifting content line...

Oh yeah, lowered expectations, funnily enough, have worked very well for me. Smile

Strangely, I've been happier with not expecting much especially from other people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1690 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  How much do you weigh? Foxaèr 39 2387 November 30, 2021 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 405 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1112 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Strangers are people too Godscreated 12 945 December 20, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 3053 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 4046 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1160 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is it too early to start drinking? Gawdzilla Sama 13 1441 July 22, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Too sexy for my computer Foxaèr 40 8096 May 13, 2018 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Succubus