Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them at the same time?
Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them at the same time?
I was just wandering. Can you say(and actually do) that you have forgiven someone but then go to the police or other authority and make a complaint against them for something that they have done to you or someone else.

I would say that the only way you can achieve that is if you do it for the reasons of helping them and you. If you do it purely out if revenge then you have not forgiven. Then you are just trying to hurt in return. By helping others, I would say is helping your self, also you might free yourself from some sort of injustice that's ongoing.

Thoughts?

Thanks
RE: Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them at the same time?
I'm not really into forgiveness, I don't see it as a virtue.
Letting go of hate can be in your own interest.

If someone owes you a debt and they've made an effort, repaid you in part, forgiveness of the balance may be acceptable.

Quote:
Debt Assignment
The transfer of debt, and the right of receiving repayment, from a creditor to a third party,

I citizen foregoes seeking recompense from a criminal and assigns the debt to society/police.

If a drunk guy crashes into my tree. The tree is OK but the guy is obviously drunk. Does the same thing next day. Having the police deal with him would have nothing to day with revenge, he's a danger that needs to be dealt with. This guy doesn't owe me a debt though, not any more than others living in the area.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Justice would require forgiveness if forgiveness was deserved.

People usually have this idea of forgiveness where if someone simply says they are sorry, you are supposed to "forgive" them, allow them to walk away without consequences. If you don't, then you are being vindictive. But i my opinion, undeserved forgiveness is as bad as unjust vindication.

The doer can, however, genuinely try and make up for his actions. If he truly sorry you'd see attempts to undo the harm he has done. Then you can start forgiving him. And when he succeeds, he should have your forgiveness as he deserves.
Forgiveness is a corporate fiction. Auditing and streamlining the responsibilities of self to society. Entities don't get "forgiven," they get audited.

Seeking Justice is putting the shoes on and pronouncing judgement. That is the moral imperative. Informing the law is the role of the informant. There is no value in my Arizona citizenship to even play a role.
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
You may forgive someone who has committed a crime against you, but society still has a duty to uphold in pursuing justice on your behalf (and, case in point, on behalf of society as a whole). An individual does not have the right to suspend the process of law on the basis of "forgiving" the criminal. You often hear the old "I won't press charges"...which makes for great drama..but truth be told, the state will press charges in your stead (and is perfectly reasonable in doing so). Battered spouses are notorious for this. It isn't the refusal to press charges that gums up the process, it's the refusal to testify when no other evidence is present (which is why the state will often insist upon taking pictures of a battered spouse nowadays..in case she later reverses herself and refuses to testify).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes indeed.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

absolutely it's possible... haven't you read the bible?? god forgave everybody ... and is still sending the sinners to hell.

Bible says it, that settles it!

*yuck, I threw up in my mouth a little bit just writing that*
[Image: Evolution.png]

Justice is about making sure crime does not pay. Forgiveness is about whether to give someone another chance. They are two different things in most circumstances. So of course it is possible to forgive while insist on justice.
(January 14, 2012 at 3:48 am)Pel Wrote: I was just wandering. Can you say(and actually do) that you have forgiven someone but then go to the police or other authority and make a complaint against them for something that they have done to you or someone else.

I would say that the only way you can achieve that is if you do it for the reasons of helping them and you. If you do it purely out if revenge then you have not forgiven. Then you are just trying to hurt in return. By helping others, I would say is helping your self, also you might free yourself from some sort of injustice that's ongoing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I would say it depends on the persons involved. The act of forgiving a transgression, just as with an apology, carries an implicit agreement that it won't happen again. Were I to forgive a person for some act for which they wanted my forgiveness, and then they went off and did it again to me or someone else, then the forgiveness clearly was nothing more than a conscious salve at best, or an attempt to defuse some retaliatory act on my part at worst. In such a case I would indeed take appropriate action including informing the authorities if necessary. I wouldn't do it simply as a means of hurting the other person. Whatever else may be said of me, I don't think I'd be so petty.

I can think of a few people who have caused me serious hurt in recent years, that is serious enough to get the police involved. One of these cases I can never forgive; even if the person concerned crawled on their knees across broken glass, I would still spit in their face. Yet in another case, I have since forgiven the person concerned and we have become fast friends.

Is this the sort of thing you wanted?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
What is justice to you? It depends on your answer to that question, as to whether it contradicts forgiveness or not.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Ubermensch and justice Macoleco 14 1040 February 19, 2022 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 5940 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument from justice. Mystic 65 8337 April 1, 2017 at 5:13 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Why them and not you? Mystic 45 6140 March 31, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  One And The Same Nameless 33 5502 October 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Question Two Questions... Really The Same. ShaMan 22 4450 July 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same) BrianSoddingBoru4 12 3564 July 31, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  You can't prove to me you are an atheist. Knowledge of God 129 17641 June 29, 2014 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2259 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Dreams. Why should we have them ? Khansins 19 3968 February 11, 2014 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rahul