Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming a kid "Lucifer" is forbidden
Naming a kid "Lucifer" is forbidden
So in many states across the world it is forbidden to name your child Lucifer. But the reason is rarely stated, although it is because it would probably scare Christians.

Now I do think it's stupid that it's forbidden. Ok I understand that naming your kid "Hitler" is a bad thing or "Osama Bin Laden", but Lucifer was simply old name for Venus and there was never any notoriously bad person named Lucifer. In fact there were even Christians saints and bishops named Lucifer so what's the problem?
But let's face it, most Christians are uninformed about everything, including history of their own religion, that they don't even know there was St. Lucifer, let alone other positive meanings of this name.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Naming a kid "Lucifer" is forbidden
Meh. It's a stupid name anyway.

Optimus. That's a good name.
They created a show called Lucifer where the main character is named Lucifer.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 1, 2017 at 4:21 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: They created a show called Lucifer where the main character is named Lucifer.

"If it's good enough for a child of god, it's good enough for my kid!"
It's Latin for "bringer of light."  What's wrong with that?
(May 1, 2017 at 4:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's Latin for "bringer of light."  What's wrong with that?

If light refers to Truth, then the answer's obvious-- nobody wants to have to deal with that!
Aesthetically I actually do like the sound of the name, I think it sounds lovely

I'd never call my kid it though, not for all the shit they'd get
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(May 1, 2017 at 4:21 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: They created a show called Lucifer where the main character is named Lucifer.

Yeah but he's actually Lucifer (the devil) in the show.
Wonder if you can name your kid God.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(May 1, 2017 at 4:20 pm)Shell B Wrote: Optimus. That's a good name.

Particularly if your last name is Prime.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2276 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2130 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2429 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  My kid received this while Trick or Treating.... Figbash 33 2262 November 5, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This kid is exceptional purplepurpose 0 282 February 19, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Fucked up things you did as a kid! MentalGiant 65 10530 November 2, 2015 at 12:11 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Thank-you: Fun with Lucifer! BlackSwordsman 10 2113 June 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Woman Runs over a Kid, Sues the Kid's Family SteelCurtain 28 6518 May 9, 2014 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  I Want This Kid Minimalist 9 1590 March 16, 2014 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Why do people I assume I'm a kid? JesusLover1 29 4883 March 3, 2014 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso