Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson
Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson
In the sequel to Queen of the Quantum Realm, I want to dramatize a boson whom I will name Higgy. But I just want to make sure that won't be a trademark violation. Is the name Higgs registered as a trademark?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson
No, certainly not, it's just Peter Higgs' last name. You can email him and ask him whether he minds, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to any more than if you used any other scientific term.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

ooh there's gonna be a sequel? I loved most of the first part, though the blind beggar was a bit of a letdown... Please let me know when you are done with the sequel...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 6, 2017 at 5:21 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: ooh there's gonna be a sequel? I loved most of the first part, though the blind beggar was a bit of a letdown... Please let me know when you are done with the sequel...
I'm so glad you liked it. The sequel doesn't have a title yet, but I hope to publish in mid 2018 (if the universe is willing and the creeks don't rise).
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(June 6, 2017 at 5:11 pm)Alex K Wrote: No, certainly not, it's just Peter Higgs' last name. You can email him and ask him whether he minds, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to any more than if you used any other scientific term.

(bold mine) Good and all, otherwise, we'd all be in serious debt to Heinrich Hertz and Georg Ohm (not to mention Lucinda Teacup and Alejandro Thedogatemyhomework).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 6, 2017 at 5:11 pm)Alex K Wrote: No, certainly not, it's just Peter Higgs' last name. You can email him and ask him whether he minds, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to any more than if you used any other scientific term.

(bold mine) Good and all, otherwise, we'd all be in serious debt to Heinrich Hertz and Georg Ohm (not to mention Lucinda Teacup and Alejandro Thedogatemyhomework).

Boru

... and we're not even talking about the estate of Austrian writer and biologist Franz Josef Fuck, which is currently suing mankind for 10 quintillion megadollars in royalties.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Higgs is an atheist, or so I have read, even though WLC likes to quote from him.

(June 7, 2017 at 8:45 am)Jehanne Wrote:

Higgs is an atheist, or so I have read, even though WLC likes to quote from him.

Yeah, Higgs is an atheist.  WLC loves to quote scientists' work but then substitute in his own conclusion.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 7, 2017 at 9:01 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(June 7, 2017 at 8:45 am)Jehanne Wrote: Higgs is an atheist, or so I have read, even though WLC likes to quote from him.

Yeah, Higgs is an atheist.  WLC loves to quote scientists' work but then substitute in his own conclusion.

WLC is a liar and manipulator. He has zero concern for truth or intellectual honesty.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 811 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In What Way is the Higgs Boaon Unstable? Rhondazvous 4 748 September 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1793 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3188 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8314 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge? Rhondazvous 15 4801 July 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5456 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4904 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  You know what's totally awesome? H-Bombs! (Operation IVY propaganda/info film) Alex K 6 877 March 8, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Q for Alex Anomalocaris 6 1702 November 23, 2016 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: bennyboy