Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge?
1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge?
I just realized that Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson stumbled on the CMB in the same year the Higgs field was first proposed" 1964.

This may just be a coincidence or it may be that scientific knowledge had reached a point where these men could naturally come to the conclusions they did.

What sayest thou?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: 1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge?
(July 8, 2017 at 12:58 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I just realized that Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson stumbled on the CMB in the same year the Higgs field was first proposed" 1964.

This may just be a coincidence or it may be that scientific knowledge had reached a point where these men could naturally come to the conclusions they did.

What sayest thou?

You know Pluto, the planet that got fired? Since its discovery, it hasn't described a single orbit around the Sun. We know it will take some more time. Its orbit will happen.

The mathematical explanations were at fault. There was something in physics missing. We built this giant ass microscope at CERN to find that piece missing. We found something, only to find more questions to be abswered. I would rather live not knowing than to pretend to have answers.

Goddidit stopped being an answet. Long ago
God did it. Um..... made the coincidence, not the science. He's funny that way.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
At one point during the verification of their CMB discovery, Penzias and Wilson were cleaning pigeon poop out of the feedhorn on their microwave receiver setup. They were probably thinking about this as they were dressed in tuxes accepting the Nobel Prize for their discovery.

Not sure how many times pigeon poop has been a constituent of a big coincidence prior to this, but there we are . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nobel Committee reviewing prize nominations:

"Say, did Penzias and Wilson check for pigeon poop in the feedhorn ?"

"um, yeah, the paperwork says that's the third thing they checked"

"hmmmmmm"

"I'd say they win . . . . show of hands, please"
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Don't you mean turd thing?

(July 8, 2017 at 12:58 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I just realized that Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson stumbled on the CMB in the same year the Higgs field was first proposed" 1964.

What sayest thou?

Stumbled upon is correct, they weren’t even looking for it. But Jim Peebles and Robert Dicke were. Seems a shame really.

Quote:Dicke and his team were actually looking for the CMB, as their theoretical models suggested that a young, hot, dense universe would produce such radiation. They were months away from making their own measurements but Penzias and Wilson got there first. Dicke came off the phone to Penzias and said to his colleagues: "Boys, we've been scooped."
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Iirc, Penzias and Wilson were not actually performing the measurements in order to discover the CMB, but to reduce the noise of their antenna?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Apparently they were looking for neutral hydrogen. Whatever that is.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
It's from Switzerland.

Very European . . .

2001 a space odyssey is on the telly tonight. I haven't seen it in years and I suspect it's a bit dated. Should I watch it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 808 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In What Way is the Higgs Boaon Unstable? Rhondazvous 4 745 September 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1781 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3168 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8285 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5437 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4881 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
  Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson Rhondazvous 14 4408 June 8, 2017 at 10:15 am
  Higgs-Boson particle Creed of Heresy 28 12504 July 11, 2012 at 2:23 am
Last Post: AthiestAtheist
  The Higgs Boson at 125 GeV, or much ado about nothing little_monkey 12 6947 December 16, 2011 at 8:36 am
Last Post: little_monkey