Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit
Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit
I'm just putting two and two together here.

What we know:

1. The higgs boson provides quanta with mass
2. The higgs boson doesn't provide light with mass
3. Mass is the measurement of an objects resistance to acceleration

It occurred to me that by providing quanta with mass, the higgs boson makes it impossible for them to travel faster than light. If I'm correct, the faster a quantum accelerates, the more it is exposed to the higgs field, ergo, the more mass it has.

Putting this up for peer review. Tear it down, but tell me why it's wrong.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit
No, the velocity or acceleration of a quantum does not change its mass or its exposure to the higgs field as far as we know. The logic is strictly

more exposure to the higgs field -> more mass -> more resistance to acceleration,

not the other way...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Don't let that get out or the next thing we will see is the Higgs Field Diet.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 22, 2017 at 4:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Don't let that get out or the next thing we will see is the Higgs Field Diet.

If ever I should fall on hard times, I have more than enough ideas for quantum woo to sell at the next new age fair.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(July 22, 2017 at 4:45 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(July 22, 2017 at 4:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Don't let that get out or the next thing we will see is the Higgs Field Diet.

If ever I should fall on hard times, I have more than enough ideas for quantum woo to sell at the next new age fair.

I'll see you there.  Look for the booth selling Tetraquark Mustache Combing Units (made of Space Age Polymeric Compound!).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 22, 2017 at 5:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 22, 2017 at 4:45 pm)Alex K Wrote: If ever I should fall on hard times, I have more than enough ideas for quantum woo to sell at the next new age fair.

I'll see you there.  Look for the booth selling Tetraquark Mustache Combing Units (made of Space Age Polymeric Compound!).

Boru

It will be eclipsed by the Dr. K's polarization glasses exhibition. Did you know that left circular photons destroy your aura at the quantum level due to entanglement with the lefthanded weak force? But fear not, entry level Dr. K's which already filter 80% of the harmful left circular frequencies are available at an affordable 80$. Of course, I can't really recommend those for long term use if you can have the 50% more effective "silver grade" model for 200$. True aficionados who know and appreciate the importance of a balanced aura often go for the flagship 5000$ "Lama Dharma" model with lifetime guarantee and maintenance service by a trained quantum fakir ™.

All Dr. K's POLARIKARMA products are 100% homeopathy compatible.

Fantasy sells better than reality, due to reality being the one thing everyone wants to escape.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 22, 2017 at 3:56 pm)Alex K Wrote: No, the velocity or acceleration of a quantum does not change its mass or its exposure to the higgs field as far as we know. The logic is strictly

more exposure to the higgs field -> more mass -> more resistance to acceleration,

not the other way...
We don't seem to be disagreeing. Your train of logic is what I was trying to say minus acceleration increasing higgs exposure. I didn't mean to suggest that accellleration increases mass of and by itself.

the end postulation is that the higgs field is the reason nothing can travel faster than light.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(July 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(July 22, 2017 at 3:56 pm)Alex K Wrote: No, the velocity or acceleration of a quantum does not change its mass or its exposure to the higgs field as far as we know. The logic is strictly

not the other way...
We don't seem to be disagreeing. Your train of logic is what I was trying to say minus acceleration increasing higgs exposure. I didn't mean to suggest that accellleration increases mass of and by itself.

the end postulation is that the higgs field is the reason nothing can travel faster than light.

Let's say it's one reason - if there were no Higgs field, the strong interaction would still give several particles masses, but they would be a thousandfold smaller. Still, there would be massive particles. My masters thesis advisor has written an entire series of papers exploring what the world would look like without the Higgs field.

https://arxiv.org/abs/0901.3958

(July 22, 2017 at 5:20 pm)Alex K Wrote: It will be eclipsed by the Dr. K's polarization glasses exhibition. Did you know that left circular photons destroy your aura at the quantum level due to entanglement with the lefthanded weak force? But fear not, entry level Dr. K's which already filter 80% of the harmful left circular frequencies are available at an affordable 80$. Of course, I can't really recommend those for long term use if you can have the 50% more effective "silver grade" model for 200$. True aficionados who know and appreciate the importance of a balanced aura often go for the flagship 5000$ "Lama Dharma" model with lifetime guarantee and maintenance service by a trained quantum fakir ™.

All Dr. K's POLARIKARMA products are 100% homeopathy compatible.
You and Brian will face stiff competition beside my nuclear transmutation booth where I transform copper pennies into hundred dollar gold pieces. Identical to the real thing. I'll give kick backs to the U. S. treasury so they'll be quiet.

(July 22, 2017 at 6:59 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(July 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: We  don't seem to be disagreeing. Your train of logic is what I was trying to say minus acceleration increasing higgs exposure. I didn't mean to suggest that accellleration increases mass of and by itself.

Let's say it's one reason - if there were no Higgs field, the strong interaction would still give several particles masses, but they would be a thousandfold smaller. Still, there would be massive particles. My masters thesis advisor has written an entire series of papers exploring what the world would look like without the Higgs field.

https://arxiv.org/abs/0901.3958
I definitely gotta read this. First, what is QCD? Do you think the discovery of the higgs boson 3 years later wold have influenced his findings?

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2616 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 806 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In What Way is the Higgs Boaon Unstable? Rhondazvous 4 745 September 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1779 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8248 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge? Rhondazvous 15 4768 July 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5423 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4870 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
  Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson Rhondazvous 14 4397 June 8, 2017 at 10:15 am
  The speed of light and discovering RozKek 45 8003 August 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus