Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caught in deep thought
Caught in deep thought
So i was curiously thinking over consciousness and then another thought popped into my head was a paradox. 
More or less the paradox of consciousness had me thinking. There is no consciousness before or after death from or perspective
because have no memories of prior lives and no evidence to support such a idea. Then i was like wait a moment quantum mechanics
and consciousness what if get this quantum reincarnation but in a sense one day we are all going to die but what if the us now 
the conscious us would one day be alive again to experience life. Though in that case again memories we wouldn't have the past experience 
of our lives at all we would be starting out as a blank slate. 

so um.. yeah sounds kinda dumb now isn't now now that i am typing this out.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Caught in deep thought
Unless Alex can tell us about a breakthrough where they find a placeholder for memories in the quantum world, I'd say not.

We're all star dust! If we were able to remember any memory, it'll be:

There I was happily not existing when this rude explosion materialised me into this universe as a giant unstable plasma cloud. It was fucking hot, I tell ya. Anyway, as it got a little cooler, I got spat out as a gold particle for a split second, then I turned into potassium! Before you know it I'm now a commoner. Hydrogen! Which my mother absorbed to make me into a human. I wish nature would make it's mind up! No wonder I have an identity crysis!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
How much weed did you smoke before typing the op?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Kazakhstan potassium ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Deepak chopra would be proud.

Important thing to keep in mind, if I understand your intent: what would it differ from death and the current consciousness ending? Without memories of you previous life, what Good would this quantum consciousness reincarnation be? It wouldn't be you, it wouldn't be a continuation.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(June 21, 2017 at 1:40 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: Deepak chopra would be proud.

Important thing to keep in mind, if I understand your intent: what would it differ from death and the current consciousness ending? Without memories of you previous life, what Good would this quantum consciousness reincarnation be? It wouldn't be you, it wouldn't be a continuation.

^ i don't like deepak chopra he is a hack. 

It was just a silly thought to begin with fueled by 4 days of sleep deprivation going onto 5 now because of my horrible sleeping habits. 
And in any case you can still be you without your memories you would just turn out as a totally different person i guess.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 20, 2017 at 11:48 pm)dyresand Wrote: So i was curiously thinking over consciousness and then another thought popped into my head was a paradox. 
More or less the paradox of consciousness had me thinking. There is no consciousness before or after death from or perspective
because have no memories of prior lives and no evidence to support such a idea. Then i was like wait a moment quantum mechanics
and consciousness what if get this quantum reincarnation but in a sense one day we are all going to die but what if the us now 
the conscious us would one day be alive again to experience life. Though in that case again memories we wouldn't have the past experience 
of our lives at all we would be starting out as a blank slate. 

so um.. yeah sounds kinda dumb now isn't now now that i am typing this out.

Um, um, um, I guess you never thought that there may be a really good reason why we do not remember
our past lives.
Take this life and take the memories that pop up in our mind time by time.
Some of them (the good one) are always welcome but the bad one are not so every time we are stuck with those bad memories we feel quite bad and that is an impediment and an obstacle to our mind because she can not keep positive.

Now just imagine what would be if we could remember all our past lives and all our bad actions.
It would be a total hell on hearth which would prevent us from going ahead that is why we are prevented from remember.

That however doesn't mean that someone remember well every single action of ours.  Hi

[Image: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAxGAAAAJDZiYmVjNTg5LWJjOGEt...MzY2Ng.png]
(June 21, 2017 at 8:38 am)dyresand Wrote:
(June 21, 2017 at 1:40 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: Deepak chopra would be proud.

^ i don't like deepak chopra he is a hack. 

It was just a silly thought to begin with fueled by 4 days of sleep deprivation going onto 5 now because of my horrible sleeping habits. 
And in any case you can still be you without your memories you would just turn out as a totally different person i guess.

But wouldn't your persona be completely removed of the one you have now?
(June 21, 2017 at 8:54 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote:
(June 21, 2017 at 8:38 am)dyresand Wrote: ^ i don't like deepak chopra he is a hack. 

But wouldn't your persona be completely removed of the one you have now?

Let's say the my idea was true we would have lived multiple lives up till now without remembering anything. We would when we are born are just a blank slate 
our persona if you will is ours to mold and shape into the person we want to become with the exception outside  influences I.E. religious indoctrination and such.

Code:
(June 21, 2017 at 10:47 am)dyresand Wrote:
(June 21, 2017 at 8:54 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: But wouldn't your persona be completely removed of the one you have now?

Let's say the my idea was true we would have lived multiple lives up till now without remembering anything. We would when we are born are just a blank slate 
our persona if you will is ours to mold and shape into the person we want to become with the exception outside  influences I.E. religious indoctrination and such.

Ah, now I understand. I disagree. But I understand.

I don't think our persona, or soul or whatever we call it in this context, exists freely. It's an emergent property of our brain which is defined by nature, i.e our biogenetic make-up, which is then molded by said outside influences. Unless you were to say your previous lives had your DNA, I don't see this as viable.

And even if it were so, the merrit of the entire deal would still elude me. But hey, that's just me. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2534 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7796 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1297 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  An alternative to atheist thought BlindedWantsToSee 125 24099 September 28, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: mordant
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8573 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Thought id share this dyresand 16 4399 January 10, 2015 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Exian
  A Veritable Miracle Caught On Camera: Mudhammam 29 8423 January 5, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I thought about something that bothered me dyresand 11 2665 December 7, 2014 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Darkstar
  id thought i would share this. dyresand 2 1174 November 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A thought never had BlackSwordsman 28 6437 May 18, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72