Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone read Name of the Wind/Kingkiller Chronicle?
Anyone read Name of the Wind/Kingkiller Chronicle?
My foster mom got me a copy of that for my birthday a few years ago. I didn't ask for it, but out of respect I read it before selling it to a used bookstore. It wasn't bad, certainly interesting. I got the second book at a library and it seemed to continue to keep consistent quality. Taking its sweet time getting to the third book, I would have thought it would be out years ago by now but nothing yet.

Anyone else read at least one of the two? Interested in seeing it made into a movie or TV show? Anything to say about it in general?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
RE: Anyone read Name of the Wind/Kingkiller Chronicle?
Read it. Wasn't too bad. Bit of ender's game/harry potter thing going on. More importantly, while looking for the 3rd book, saw the Author said Jim Butcher would be his choice to finish the series if died suddenly. Plowed through just about everything he (butcher) wrote.

I think I would have been excited for tv/movie after reading it. But this loooong wait for the 3rd book seems to have tarnished my memory of them a bit.
(June 26, 2017 at 7:32 pm)wallym Wrote: Read it.  Wasn't too bad.  Bit of ender's game/harry potter thing going on.  More importantly, while looking for the 3rd book, saw the Author said Jim Butcher would be his choice to finish the series if died suddenly.   Plowed through just about everything he (butcher) wrote.

I think I would have been excited for tv/movie after reading it.  But this loooong wait for the 3rd book seems to have tarnished my memory of them a bit.

Never heard of Butcher, will have to look him up.

If the 3rd book is taking this long, jeez, I can only imagine what the non-prequel story is going to be like in terms of waiting and delays. Since it's all flashbacks and the in media res story is only a small part of it, and presumably will need to be expanded on to get to a satisfying conclusion, the author might actually die before he finishes it or any of the second trilogy if that's how he plans to structure it. I saw a pic of him and he looked terribly out of shape (not that I'm one to talk, although I've lost a hell of a lot of weight in the last two years) so he might be at risk.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
I've read the two extant books of the KingKiller Chronicles twice and the novella once. I hope Hollywood stays far, far away from these books. They would never do them justice!

Patrick Rothfuss is only 44. Unless he's hit by a bus/struck by lightning/etc... I don't think he'll die before the third book is finished

Jim Butcher is a pretty good author.  His "Dresden Files" series is a staple amongst urban fantasy fans, though I think Seanan McGuire's "October Daye" series edges him out. He's also written a traditional fantasy series "Codex Alera" which I've heard good things about but not yet gotten to, and he's writing "Cinder Spires," a steampunk series. The first of those, "The Aeronaut's Windlass," was fantastic.

If you like to read, you should check out this thread.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 26, 2017 at 8:14 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: I've read the two extant books of the KingKiller Chronicles twice and the novella once. I hope Hollywood stays far, far away from these books. They would never do them justice!

Patrick Rothfuss is only 44. Unless he's hit by a bus/struck by lightning/etc... I don't think he'll die before the third book is finished

Jim Butcher is a pretty good author.  His "Dresden Files" series is a staple amongst urban fantasy fans, though I think Seanan McGuire's "October Daye" series edges him out. He's also written a traditional fantasy series "Codex Alera" which I've heard good things about but not yet gotten to, and he's writing "Cinder Spires," a steampunk series. The first of those, "The Aeronaut's Windlass," was fantastic.

If you like to read, you should check out this thread.

Well, I'm about a decade his junior and I was pushing 300 lbs for most of my life, so unless he's taken the same steps as me to try and mitigate some of the health issues associated with obesity, he might be less fortunate than we would probably hope. Just sayin'. Not hoping for anything bad, just...things I like tend to go away and break my heart.

---

I've seen several photos of him, but never one where he looked unhealthily overweight.

This is his Wiki photo:
[Image: 250px-Patrick-rothfuss-2014-kyle-cassidy.jpg]

Gotta love the wizard beard! Smile
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 26, 2017 at 10:14 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: I've seen several photos of him, but never one where he looked unhealthily overweight.

This is his Wiki photo:
[Image: 250px-Patrick-rothfuss-2014-kyle-cassidy.jpg]

Gotta love the wizard beard! Smile

I think the one I saw was on the inside cover of the book. His beard was lighter then too (and shorter).

---

Just to clarify, the death thing was just a random hypothetical, not based on any actual threat of dying.
(June 26, 2017 at 11:23 pm)wallym Wrote: Just to clarify, the death thing was just a random hypothetical, not based on any actual threat of dying.

Well yeah but when you mentioned it, it brought up the seriousness his image conjured up. When you get to his age you've got take better care of yourself. I'm glad he at least looks a little better than before.

---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name me an artist you wish you'd never heard of. onlinebiker 21 1895 May 1, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Name me an artist who didn't get the fame Brian37 50 3177 May 1, 2020 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Guess her real name. Brian37 12 1056 January 31, 2019 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 750 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anyone want to read and discuss "The Origin of Consc in the Breakdown of the B Mind ? Whateverist 16 2034 October 31, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  David Bowie's 100 Favourite books: How many have you read? Rev. Rye 27 2539 October 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it? Whateverist 16 3551 July 14, 2016 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  OMG OMG OMG Marvel Cinematic Universe Fans have GOT to read this..... Joods 6 1095 May 25, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poetry: Read and Listen Rhondazvous 14 2003 April 10, 2016 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  ABBA The Name Of The Game. Brian37 54 7926 April 22, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Brian37