Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to brag about my project
Wink 
Time to brag about my project
Just in case y’all were wondering what I’ve been up to lately, here’s an update on the home front.

Three years ago I bought my place and for three years I have complained about my stupid, terribly designed, flaming shit on a stick master bathroom.

(Master bathroom as I was working on the place 3 years ago before I moved in)
[Image: B1%20Into%20Bathroom_zpslh4jmafu.jpg]
[Image: B2%20Moving%20In_zpsyc6dyjhq.jpg]

I shall complain NO LONGER!

[Image: Barn%20Door_zpsdn6twvro.jpg]
[Image: Bathroom%20Interior_zpsocfoitsr.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]

I haven’t finished it completely: I’ve done 2 of 3 phases, but the major tear-my-hear-out-I-hate-it-so-much items are checked off the list! Namely: that stupid, stupid, stooooopid wall between the vanity and toilet is GONE!!!!  Which means I can actually use my bathroom to dry my hair in rather than having to do it in the middle of my bedroom! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Last to go for phase 3 is flooring, wall base, a new toilet and a new vanity.  The bathroom is in an extraordinarily workable state as is, though, so right now I’m living with the shitty floor (with particle board filler strips where the wall used to be so the floor is almost level) and silly little 24” vanity until I pay off the couple things I put on my credit card and find a vanity that I either like, or love enough to spluge on it.  I just can’t mentally justify $900 for a 36” vanity though, and the $250-500 ones are of dubious quality (or simply fugly) so the search is still on…

Every time I walk into my bathroom now I’m like

And, for anyone wondering, yes, I have done many, many Sound of Music twirls in there since Phase 2 was finished Big Grin

I would formally like to thank my sister who came over twice to help me put up gyp board, and would like to extend my fiercest fuck-you to the guy who eavesdropped on my conversation at Home Depot and who didn’t think guuuUUUuuurls could do construction projects by themselves.

Yes.  They.  Fucking.  Can.

Process Photos!!!!

So… the whole project was sort of started accidentally…  I was only going to take the door to the toilet/shower off its hinges for the summer.  Then I was like, “Maybe I should see what’s under the trim?... If I take the trim off, it’s not going back on so why not take the door frame out?  Now that the door is out, the header over the door doesn’t need to stay… so bye, bye header!!” and then before I knew it:

Whoopsie daisy…

On to the barn door then!  I had been researching commercial barn doors for a client at work and suddenly realized that a barn door would be perfect for my bathroom since it requires less construction and less construction-precision than a pocket-door which was my initial plan.

But first things first: build the header.

The wall on the left and the wall on the right aren’t actually in the same plane, hence the 2x4 down the left side of the wall furring it out so the header can go straight across the opening.

The aforementioned sister precision-cutting the gyp board.

She’s a superstar at it, ya’ll.  She got things so perfectly cut and fit that I looked at it after and was like “Do I even need to mud this joint?”

Got all the gyp board put in and joints mudded, corner bead installed…

(Did I mention that construction is fun??)

Once the gyp board was in, joint compound was dry, texture spray applied, priming and painting was finished, and then it was time for Inspector Riley to make sure the barn door was in working order before it was put in.

“Hey, how can I get stuck down there?”

Got the rest of the wall removed, the ceiling taken out and was finally able to fix the ductwork for my exhaust fan and run new electrical for the relocated switches and fan timer since the wall they were in is, you know, not there anymore…

The wall also had to be furred out two inches (the offset on the barn door side was carried over from the plumbing wall on this side… Don’t get me started…) but that’s basically the same picture with a lighter-colored wood over the wall studs.

Part Two: The Return of the Sister for the gyp board work.  Got the wall all closed back up, put in a junction box which will be hidden behind the vanity mirror so that I could extend the electrical up to the vanity light – where I put in an actual light fixture compatible junction box for the vanity light rather than the hole with a paint stir stick screwed over it that was literally how the vanity light HAD been installed. *sigh*

Then, more joint compound, wall texture, primer and paint! Put the vanity back in, and BAM!!!

It’s like a whole new bathroom!!!

Yes, the lower shelf is missing in this photo and no, I’m not going to leave that octopus picture taped to the wall (I need a find a nice framed piece of art for that spot, and it needs to be bigger anyway), but this is my new digs ya’ll!

Also, check out the kick-ass handle I got for the door (which I *ahem* stained to match my floors)

It’s the same style as my kitchen cabinet pulls!  It’s like I’m a designer or something!

It's soooo nice not to hate my bathroom anymore....
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Time to brag about my project
Ballin' out!

Imma need you to teach me how to do the drywall stuff. My garage ceiling is going to need to be fixed, and my attempts to patch it thusfar have been... less than stellar... lol.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
That's some kick-ass remodeling! My middle son works for a contractor; she's about 120 pounds soaking wet and can out-work many guys.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 27, 2017 at 4:44 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Ballin' out!

Imma need you to teach me how to do the drywall stuff. My garage ceiling is going to need to be fixed, and my attempts to patch it thusfar have been... less than stellar... lol.

TL;DR version:  Thin coats, applied with a good-quality non-rusting metal drywall spreader held at a fairly low angle (30-45°, I think).  Blued steel is nice and thin but it rusts if you look at it funny.  Plastic is easy to wash up but it wears out, mostly from getting chips in the edge (although narrow plastic ones are fine for filling screw holes and for taping). The objective is to apply the mud so that it needs virtually no sanding at the end.

Oh, and get a drywall screw "dimpler" that automatically stops the screw at the right depth.
Looks like a hell of a lot more work that I would take on. Good for you! And thanks for the glimpse into your life. 

We have the same dresser in our spare room except it's more blonde.

If you're really a girl I'm amazed that you can get by with that amount of counter space. Maybe it's only old women that need all of the shit.

Oh, and your toilet paper is on backwards. hehehehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Wow, great job! Smile
I love that wooden sliding door, that's a nice touch. Smile

-Teresa
That's pretty good for a girl.

<Ducks>

<Runs>
Vury nice.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 27, 2017 at 9:35 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: Wow, great job! Smile
I love that wooden sliding door, that's a nice touch. Smile

-Teresa

Indeed! I remodeled the master bathroom about 12 years ago and put in a pocket door, at my wife's request. Biggest piece of shit, ever. Made from knot-riddled Douglas fir, and 3/4" by 3/4" to boot. I would have happily given up the minimal amount of floor space I lost and used bigger lumber, had I known before I bought that kit. Sad
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
When i saw this thread title I made an 80/20 bet that you were building a cat shelf haven pathway all over your house, but I lost that bet! Very nice work, lady! Oh so nice bathroom, love the door too and I hateeee partition walls as well!

Good jerb! *high fives you in the face!
When sisters get together they can do pretty much anything, that's what I learned.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MY Latest Project onlinebiker 18 1186 August 3, 2020 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Pro Humble Brag - Parent Edition. The Grand Nudger 26 2088 March 15, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sad Scenario: Is He Your Husband or Your Project? Rhondazvous 23 2604 June 17, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your opinions are required regarding this project . Enlightened Ape 7 1261 April 28, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2662 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8769 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Poetry night project J a c k 12 1101 September 13, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Help with Kickstarter Project, Please Neo-Scholastic 8 1339 April 16, 2016 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Disclosure Project - Aliens UFOs scoobysnack 136 14657 April 6, 2016 at 12:31 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Want to brag about something? Clueless Morgan 13 2185 January 27, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: No_God