Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists
New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists
Quote:Religious people are more tolerant of different viewpoints than atheists, according to researchers at a Catholic university.

A study of 788 people in the UK, France and Spain concluded that atheists and agnostics think of themselves as more open-minded than those with faith, but are are actually less tolerant to differing opinions and ideas.

Religious believers "seem to better perceive and integrate diverging perspectives", according to psychology researchers at the private Catholic University of Louvain (UCL), Belgium's largest French-speaking university.

Filip Uzarevic, who co-wrote the paper, said his message was that "closed-mindedness is not necessarily found only among the religious".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...19221.html

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/28/scienc...religious/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists
Quote:according to researchers at a Catholic university.

Uh huh
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(July 8, 2017 at 9:43 am)Jesster Wrote:

Uh huh

I missed that part. Too early in the morning and I am still groggy.

Tongue
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Uh huh

I caught that part too. Do we really need to go further than that?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 8, 2017 at 9:39 am)Lutrinae Wrote:
Quote:Religious people are more tolerant of different viewpoints than atheists, according to researchers at a Catholic university.

A study of 788 people in the UK, France and Spain concluded that atheists and agnostics think of themselves as more open-minded than those with faith, but are are actually less tolerant to differing opinions and ideas.

Religious believers "seem to better perceive and integrate diverging perspectives", according to psychology researchers at the private Catholic University of Louvain (UCL), Belgium's largest French-speaking university.

Filip Uzarevic, who co-wrote the paper, said his message was that "closed-mindedness is not necessarily found only among the religious".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...19221.html

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/28/scienc...religious/

First line gives it away, imagine that a "study" done at a religious institution would come to the conclusion that atheists are less tolerant. 

They are pulling the same shit all religion do. They try to blur the issue of human rights, which is not what atheists address, and the separate issue of the logic they use and ignore that there are followers in their ranks who do use their relgions to justify bigoted views of others and oppressive laws that deny minority rights.

Saying "We have better data now and better tools now to observe reality" is not being closed minded. Saying, "That was then this is now" is not being closed minded. Newton postulated alchemy for a while but scrapped the idea because he realized IT SUCKED.

Religion is actually what closes the mind. It teaches the follower to value group think purely for selfish reasons. NO, it is not that you can physically force any religion out of existence, you cant. But religion gets sold to youth by the parents long before they can form critical thinking skills. 

Closed minded is clinging to the superstition that eating a magic cracker which in their mythology is symbolic cannibalism does anything real. Closed minded is thinking that there is a three headed entity ignoring that the Ancient Egyptians had their own version of trinity in Ra/Osiris/Horus who sat together in heaven in judgment of the dead. The Vatican has had a horrible history of dragging it's feet with science, not to mention hiding criminals.

Uh huh

In other news, a study conducted by the Fishing Is Fun Institute concludes that, among people who find fishing enjoyable, the overwhelming majority enjoy fishing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Gosh, you atheists are so narrow minded!

Tongue
(July 8, 2017 at 10:46 am)Aliza Wrote: Gosh, you atheists are so narrow minded!

Tongue

Yes. Theist are more open minded just not for facts and evidence, but anything else goes like like lubricated.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 8, 2017 at 10:51 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(July 8, 2017 at 10:46 am)Aliza Wrote: Gosh, you atheists are so narrow minded!

Tongue

Yes. Theist are more open minded just not for facts and evidence, but anything else goes like like lubricated.

Okay, I'll give you that one. I like things that are lubricated.

Uh huh

This says it all.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says WinterHold 262 17778 March 28, 2023 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Less than half of England and Wales population Christian, Census 2021 shows Duty 28 1593 December 3, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 521 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 5525 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Less Cops = ? onlinebiker 86 3137 September 11, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AOC Pushes To Make It Easier To Study Shrooms And Other Psychedelic Drugs EgoDeath 8 754 November 9, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  My Plan To Re-open The US Government BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1762 January 25, 2019 at 12:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 695 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  And in Texas no less..... Brian37 7 931 November 11, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump: The Floodgates Are Open! chimp3 10 927 May 24, 2018 at 12:01 am
Last Post: chimp3