Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your local killers.
Your local killers.
Who are the most famous serial killers in your local area? 
 I'm asking the question giving room for maneuver on the technicalities of what it is to be a serial killer.  I mean they don't even really have to have killed anyone I suppose, just gruesome enough crimes that they're well known. 

Around my area I think the most infamous are the moors murderers.  I don't know how infamous they actually are outside of England maybe you can tell me.

If you don't know who they were, it was a couple, Myra Hindley and Ian Brady.  They killed children and buried them on the moors in the 1960s.

They both lived near where I work, one of the older people I work with met Myra a few times from delivering things to the office she worked at.
Where they buried the bodies is the area where I go cycling, but around a mile away.

I just got thinking about this today when I went cycling and I went deeper into the moors than usual and the deadly silence of the place and the lack of people around gives the place an eerie atmosphere.
Plus I just found out today that a man killed himself on the path which I posted a picture of on here of my bike ride route.  He actually traveled from Pakistan, went to this part of the countryside, poisoned himself with strychnine and lay there dead on that exact pathway.  I can't even imagine how it would be to be on my own and find a dead body up there which someone must have done.
It just got me thinking about the crazy murders and deaths that can happen on your doorstep.  

Harold Shipman is another one who is fairly local to me, within a few miles.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Your local killers.
Danny Rolling, the Gainesville Ripper.  Had folk afraid to go to school.

Quote:In August 1990, Rolling murdered five students (one student from Santa Fe College and four from the University of Florida) during a burglary and robbery spree in Gainesville, Florida. He mutilated his victims' bodies, decapitating one. He then posed them, sometimes using mirrors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Rolling

The Swamp is a place that makes you believe in evil...and it doesn't take an asshole like this guy to give you nightmares.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
As Becc's mentioned a while ago, Ivan Milat, the backpack killer from down the road.

The Wolf Creek movies are based on him. (miles overembelished though)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Opiate abuse is currently culling the herd in this area . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nothing very interesting here in San Diego. But some guy did drive railroad spikes into the heads of 5 homeless people, killing 3. He was apparently homeless himself, so it appears he wasn't a homeless hater. Jon David Guerrero's his name. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/...cy-hearing
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafet...es/1200386
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire ripper.
I lived in Leeds in the late 70s.
The polioce came to my place of work(Northern Gas Board) and played us a recording of , supposedly, his voice. They didn't get him until 3 years after(1981).
One of my housemates was reported to the police for 'looking suspicious'. Suffice it t o say he wasn't the ripper.
Well we don't have serial killers as such, but in the nineteeth century there was a killing so brutal that an expression based on it is still in common usage.

"Sweet Fanny adams" is a replacement word for nothing, but came from sailors usage for unsightly meat rations, and here is where it came from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Adams

Quote:They found Fanny's body in the hop field, horribly butchered. Her head and legs had been severed and her eyes removed. Her eyes had been thrown into the River Wey. Her torso was dismembered and the entire contents of her chest and pelvis had been torn out and scattered across the hop field, with some internal organs found further slashed or mutilated. Her remains were taken to and put back together in a nearby doctor's surgery at 16 Amery Street.

She was 8.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Closest to St. Louis would be H. H. Holmes, father of a thousand movies.
Jesse pomeroy and the Boston strangler

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Local incidents from the 4th weekend. brewer 11 808 July 6, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Big trouble in little China? Local thing here. Brian37 13 2568 October 23, 2017 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  At your local dog park. Whateverist 18 5670 February 23, 2014 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: ElleBelle
  Zombie Killers A Theist 26 8325 July 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Local Foods Savannahw 75 20331 June 18, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: AmyLoch
  Stewart and Cobert not on my local channel Brian37 25 7926 May 28, 2012 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Biggest thread killers Violet 10 4567 January 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Violet