Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best PC build for the money.
Best PC build for the money.
CyberPower, IBuyPower, build-it-yourself, etc.?

What's everyone's opinion?  Recently, for my son, we went with CyberPower; just wondering if I should have buyer's regret at this point.  Water-cooled PC is performing wonderfully; a few quirks in the UEFI.
RE: Best PC build for the money.
I had my son build one for me through Ibuypower.  It's almost 6 years old and still chugging along.  His lasted 8 years.  He just replaced it with another through them.
[Image: imac-gallery1-2015?wid=2000&hei=1536&fmt...3964718456]

Sorry. Couldn't resist. But I'm only kidding a little bit. If you're talking pure dollars and cents value, you will not beat the apple stuff. Buy an Imac this year for $1800 and two years from now you'll likely be able to sell it on ebay for $1200-$1400. Spend $800-$1200 building a flagship PC today and two years from now it will be worth about $40 on the used market if you can even get that. It'd probably be worth more as a donation/tax write off.
Isn't it called buyers remorse?
(July 22, 2017 at 12:46 pm)pool the matey Wrote: Isn't it called buyers remorse?

Quote:Buyer's remorse (or buyer's regret) is the sense of regret after having made a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of an expensive item such as a car or a house. It may stem from fear of making the wrong choice, guilt over extravagance, or a suspicion of having been overly influenced by the seller.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse

Some say "sofa", others say "couch".
(July 22, 2017 at 10:03 am)Jehanne Wrote: CyberPower, IBuyPower, build-it-yourself, etc.?

What's everyone's opinion?  Recently, for my son, we went with CyberPower; just wondering if I should have buyer's regret at this point.  Water-cooled PC is performing wonderfully; a few quirks in the UEFI.

100% self-built comp will be better every time, IMO.  These days, things work a LOT better than they did even 10 years ago.  I can't remember the last time I couldn't get something to work because I couldn't figure out how to patch the drivers in while I was swapping among about 10 Windows disks. Big Grin

(July 22, 2017 at 11:30 am)johan Wrote: Sorry. Couldn't resist. But I'm only kidding a little bit. If you're talking pure dollars and cents value, you will not beat the apple stuff. Buy an Imac this year for $1800 and two years from now you'll likely be able to sell it on ebay for $1200-$1400. Spend $800-$1200 building a flagship PC today and two years from now it will be worth about $40 on the used market if you can even get that. It'd probably be worth more as a donation/tax write off.

My problem with Apple is it's a freaking annoying company.  Proprietary BS, DRM bullshit etc. etc. and they word it as if users are begging for those "features." My idea of a consumer relationship is this: 1) company makes a product that works the way I want; 2) if they make it well, I will choose their product and give them money for it; 3) they fuck off and do not interfere with my use of the product in any manner

The other problem is that if you follow this culture, you will never get to learn what the stuff in your computer DOES.  You'll never get to upgrade anything, or to choose a new vendor for your GFX card because they've developed a new technology, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure dollar for dollar I can build about a 2x more powerful system than you can.

That being said, my daughter is a traitor and has a Macbook Air, and she loves it, and has never had any problems operating it, so. . . I do get that.
My regular laptops bought from Wal-mart lasts me years and years.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Gaming PC?

Do it yourself, or pay me to do it for you Tongue (shameless plug)

Everyday use/office pc?

Do it yourself with Linux Mint installed.

Resale value? MacBook Pro.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Gamer? Ignore everything SC said and build a kickass overclocked win10 pc with NVidia GeForce 1080 graphics.
There IS no competition.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 27, 2017 at 4:21 am)ignoramus Wrote: Gamer? Ignore everything SC said and build a kickass overclocked win10 pc with NVidia GeForce 1080 graphics.
There IS no competition.

That's the one we built for my son.  It is fantastic.  I have an NVIDIA 960 2 GB which I installed in an older PC and it still rocks.