Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm sick and tired of this.. please be advised: the following is a rant!
I'm sick and tired of this.. please be advised: the following is a rant!
All right, I'm in a bad mood. It seems like every website I am a member of has people that just assume that everyone believes in god (and no, I won't capitalize 'god' - that is just ridiculous!).

Today I was reading a thread from someone on a forum I frequently visit, and it said, in a nutshell, that the culling of mice is bad because 'only god decides when someone dies.'

I almost exploded. A god does NOT decide - when something dies, it dies from a medical/biological etiology. No one can tell me that's incorrect. That's how it is.

I am sick and tired of people who assume that everyone believes in 'morality' (because there is 'only one way of looking at morality'.. hah! ...that was sarcasm). Just the other day I was watching one of the Law and Order shows (my favorite is SVU, but this was a different one) and I literally had to shut off the TV because the end of the show came down to stuff based on 'god' versus the legal system. I was just so perturbed by this.. I mean, seriously? Can we please use our logic here?

Look, I don't have a problem if someone believes in god, but if it's 'assumed' that I believe in one or I'm asked about my 'religion,' I'm going to tell the truth. I'm an atheist and I have been for years. The world is/has been made of science. Sure, I believe Jesus and stuff existed, or something, but I do always say to keep in mind that a number of drugs were big back then. In addition, Jesus likely had schizophrenia characterized by grandiose delusions ('I am the son of god!'). I'm not trying to be condoning, I believe this is a likely possibility.

That felt so good to get out of my system. Thank you for reading!
Show me your proof/back up your claims and then I will consider your argument. That's only fair.
RE: I'm sick and tired of this.. please be advised: the following is a rant!
Well we dont know if God does end their life, perhaps He does. (Not saying I believe that)
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
How would Jesus/god end our lives when we know full well how an organism dies? Medically speaking, most death processes are very clearly understood and explained biologically. What would that have to do with a god?
If Jesus had schizophrenia with delusions, why did the first Christians die slow and horrible deaths for something they would have KNOWN to be a lie (Virgin birth, sinless life of Jesus, His death and resurrection)? People will die for what they think is true but really isn't. But no one will do so for what they know is a lie, including the disciples.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Well, of course christians didn't know/believe that all that was a lie, like you said. They died for what they believed, and that's there business, eh?

That doesn't make them 'right.' In my opinion, it makes them rather stupid. It's human nature to want to follow a leader. What leader would make "his people" suffer for imaginary/illogical/culturally dependent "sins?"

Oh yeah, Hitler.
Show me your proof/back up your claims and then I will consider your argument. That's only fair.
Quote:why did the first Christians die slow and horrible deaths for something they would have KNOWN to be a lie

Why do people wrap themselves with dynamite and blow themselves to smithereens for allah?

Why did otherwise intelligent Japanese pilots crash their planes into American ships?

People do lots of stupid stuff. Xtians merely did it earlier than the Arabs and the Japs.
Thank you, Minimalist. I was beginning to think that all the people on this forum believe that 'because everyone else did it, then it must be correct.'

I very much appreciate your input. I just thought that your examples would already be common knowledge, you know?

I wish people would back up their arguments.
(October 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:why did the first Christians die slow and horrible deaths for something they would have KNOWN to be a lie

Why do people wrap themselves with dynamite and blow themselves to smithereens for allah?

Why did otherwise intelligent Japanese pilots crash their planes into American ships?

People do lots of stupid stuff. Xtians merely did it earlier than the Arabs and the Japs.

They did that for what they THOUGHT was true, not for something they would have known was false.

Also, If the resurrection of Jesus didn't happen and the Jews or Romans stole the body, they would have produced it and parade it around Jerusalem and we wouldn't have even heard of Him, and Christianity would have died on the spot. If the disciples stole the body, they would have known it was a lie as stated in my above post and would NOT have been willing to be martyred.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Quote:They did that for what they THOUGHT was true, not for something they would have known was false.

Just like your fucking xtian assholes. They thought their fictions were true....they weren't.

Besides, this whole Romans-persecuting-the-poor-xtians is grossly overstated. Most of it is later propaganda to cover up the xtians own crimes. The Romans were actually quite tolerant of other religions. Perhaps they shouldn't have been.
Jesus didn't "rise from the dead." He was in a tomb for three days. A human being can just barely survive for this long without sustenance.

if Jesus did "rise from the dead," then his body would have been in the tomb and his apparent soul or whatnot would have floated up into the clouds anyway, right? If that were scientifically possible.

Makes no sense, dude.

If Jesus existed, then he obviously escaped from the tomb somehow. Perhaps someone pushed the huge stone or whatever. Yeah, he was on a cross. For a day, right? That is usually not enough to cause lung collapse from elevated arms/shoulders. Yes, he was apparently stabbed in the side. It's very likely that he was not hit directly in the heart since he was apparently stabbed with a sword into the abdomen in an upwards direction. It is more likely that a lung was punctured and collapsed. Of course he'd pass out from this, who wouldn't? Regardless, if he existed, he died shortly after he escaped from the tomb. Obviously he still had all his wounds - they wouldn't have healed up by then.

He was probably extremely weak and died merely days after. He did not "rise into the clouds." That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, and believe me, I love Santa's flying reindeer.

Please think of the possible physical and scientific explanations here. Please consider what is more realistic Keep in mind that people back at that time did not know anything about medicine. I find it odd that I even have to point that out.

Please consider the opposite side of the argument and back up your statements.

Sorry, but there is no such thing as magic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24013 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2452 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  These guys make me sick Manowar 23 7833 July 8, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I'm sick of hearing about the "Five Ways"! Asmodee 46 7623 January 19, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 244702 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  I need to rant to other atheists mlmooney89 22 3523 June 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  God is Dead Rant ManMadeGod 5 1807 December 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: ManMadeGod
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5338 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12707 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Never Grow Tired Rhondazvous 12 2713 May 22, 2015 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Angrboda