Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 12:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, I'm an atheist and a geologist
Hello, I'm an atheist and a geologist
Hi everyone. My name username describes what I do. I'll let you folks figure out what it means. I'm also an active amateur astronomer. So of course, I love to have discussions about science. I note that there is a gentleman currently posting who claims to be a science teacher and yet is obviously a YEC. I've got years of experience arguing with these folks and so I welcome all YEComers. But be warned, my BS-O-meter runs 24/7.

I too prefer to keep the discussion reasonable and civil, and hope that we can all do so. Remember, we are all adults here. Let's try to act the part.

-OGM
RE: Hello, I'm an atheist and a geologist
Have fun (although "arguing" with such lunatics gives them more credit than they deserve. )

(October 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Have fun (although "arguing" with such lunatics gives them more credit than they deserve. )

Not all are crazy. Some can be reasoned with, and it is those who I focus on the most. If I can persuade a few to see things a bit differently, at least to question what they have come to believe, I've accomplished what I've set out to do. I didn't come to my conclusions about life overnight and I don't expect anyone else to either.
Welcome

I applaud your patience discussing with YECs (I can't say the same for myself). Well, even if you can't reason with them it maybe an oportunity of us to learn a thing of two on geology. Smile
(October 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Welcome

I applaud your patience discussing with YECs (I can't say the same for myself). Well, even if you can't reason with them it maybe an oportunity of us to learn a thing of two on geology. Smile

I'm always available to answer any questons about geology or astronomy that you may have.
Quote:Some can be reasoned with

You're a better ( or at least far more patient man) than I am. I've never found a member of the talking-snake crowd who was worth a damn.
So you are a mountain builder? Smile
(October 14, 2010 at 1:45 pm)Chuck Wrote: So you are a mountain builder? Smile

Close. I do get a rise out of people from time to time. Cool Shades

Welcome to the forum and feel free to jump in wherever you like.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(October 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Hi everyone. My name username describes what I do. I'll let you folks figure out what it means. I'm also an active amateur astronomer. So of course, I love to have discussions about science. I note that there is a gentleman currently posting who claims to be a science teacher and yet is obviously a YEC. I've got years of experience arguing with these folks and so I welcome all YEComers. But be warned, my BS-O-meter runs 24/7.

I too prefer to keep the discussion reasonable and civil, and hope that we can all do so. Remember, we are all adults here. Let's try to act the part.

-OGM

Welcome to the board,

I am assuming this is supposed to be me even though it is not an accurate representation of what I said. I said in my introduction that I was a Science Teacher, I now work as a Scientist for the US Government. Why did you use the word "claim" when applying to my job but not when applying to your's? You "claim" to be a Geologist right? Let's be fair and civil here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3218 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5450 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello, New atheist having a meltdown Dragonfly 58 7254 October 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Dragonfly
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 6077 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hello from an African-American atheist ChidiB 28 4015 May 16, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello everybody! just came out as an atheist. JeffY 14 2664 April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3533 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Weak atheist/deist here, hello! vixene 59 9574 August 11, 2015 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Hello everyone....a friendly, new Atheist's story LovingBeing 16 3312 December 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hello all, greetings from an order atheist Landfish 26 4493 December 28, 2014 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Alex K