Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am confused by American christians
I am confused by American christians
Being British the Christians around me, though few, seem to be overall a rather harmless bunch, mostly good intentioned who keep themselves to themselves, help the needy and champion causes that actually benefit people generally.

This is the sort of Christian that I don't mind, I think they are wrong but they aren't much trouble.

Now this seems to be the opposite of American Christians who blaze around trying to be the biggest arseholes they can be. (they have to a certain extent spread this over here but only in tiny patches).

What gives?

Why is being a huge dick part of the Christian US agenda?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: I am confused by American christians
(July 28, 2017 at 10:56 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Being British the Christians around me, though few, seem to be overall a rather harmless bunch, mostly good intentioned who keep themselves to themselves, help the needy and champion causes that actually benefit people generally.

This is the sort of Christian that I don't mind, I think they are wrong but they aren't much trouble.

Now this seems to be the opposite of American Christians who blaze around trying to be the biggest arseholes they can be. (they have to a certain extent spread this over here but only in tiny patches).

What gives?

There's this sense of entitlement that's just kind of always been around, since Manifest Destiny. Like because they belong to the 'chosen people' (because they don't read their own holy books and readily dismiss the Old Testament) the world owes them everything, and they are completely, unquestionably, 100% right about everything and to even suggest there might be a problem with this is akin to pissing on their shoes in front of everyone they know.

Being the majority and having so much political power helps maintain this sense of superiority. When you think you've got the most powerful being conceivable in your corner, well, you know how power corrupts, and absolutely power corrupts absolutely and all that, so even the delusion of having that power is massively corrupting. They also have this idea that anyone not quite like them (primarily the white male demographic) is more of a piece of property than a person, ergo their stances on women's rights and their insistence that they can do whatever the happy hell they want with their kids.

So yeah, that's my two cents. Just a lingering result of an extreme wave of indoctrination that hasn't slowed down since.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(July 28, 2017 at 10:56 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: What gives?

-that's what happens when faith is subverted and transformed into a political wedge for the benefit of people whose agenda is to be as a big a dick as they can in any area they can cram it into. We still have christians who missed the boarding party for the rightwing Hate Express. They just aren't as loud and obnoxious, so they go unnoticed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The majority of Christians here are nominal Christians that follow %50 of the NT %50 of the time. Some of those may still wish to deprive gays and trans people of basic rights though
Quote: Now this seems to be the opposite of American Christians who blaze around trying to be the biggest arseholes they can be.

And generally succeeding.
(July 28, 2017 at 10:56 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Being British the Christians around me, though few, seem to be overall a rather harmless bunch, mostly good intentioned who keep themselves to themselves, help the needy and champion causes that actually benefit people generally.

What gives?

what exposure do you have with american christian? what the fake news says? their double coverage of the westbrough baptists and the none existant coverage of everyone else? You know the WBB are a family congregation and a neighbor right? Yet every other church who sits hundreds to thousands to mega churches who seat 10,000+ with multiple sermons every sunday and all of their works are completely non existent in the mainstream media. So why would you think, you would think any different of anyone else. You have poisoned the well of ALL american Christians based on the crazy stuff they put on the news.
(July 28, 2017 at 12:03 pm)Drich Wrote:

What gives?

what exposure do you have with american christian? what the fake news says? their double coverage of the westbrough baptists and the none existant coverage of everyone else? You know the WBB are a family congregation and a neighbor right? Yet every other church who sits hundreds to thousands to mega churches who seat 10,000+ with multiple sermons every sunday and all of their works are completely non existent in the mainstream media. So why would you think, you would think any different of anyone else. You have poisoned the well of ALL american Christians based on the crazy stuff they put on the news.

I swear, you do more to make atheists feel good about their unbelief (and probably getting believers to question their faith) then anything I can think of right now.  You're the perfect example of the poisoning of the American christian well.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

The simple utterance of the phrase "fake news" is..all by itself, lulzworthy.  I'm legitimately impressed that you've found a way to top that by then imagining that news coverage of the majority faith of their readership, viewership, and owners...is anything other than roundly sympathetic to that faith. I guess you live in one of those #alternate realities where christians are a poor downtrodden minority, persecuted everywhere they go and nightly on satans picture box.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote: what exposure do you have with american christian?

Probably you, dripshit.  You are the quintessential bad example of jesusists.
(July 28, 2017 at 12:03 pm)Drich Wrote:

What gives?

The exposure I have to US Christians is through the media, not fake news but the news news, or is opposition to abortion not Christian led, is the desire to knowingly teach incorrect science  not Christian led, is the oppression of non-typically gendered people not spearheaded by Christians.
Is the suppression of atheists not Christian led?

You know that it genuinely is the religious lobby in America that actively seek to do evil and oppress.

In a September 1994 plenary speech to the Christian Coalition national convention, Rev. D. James Kennedy said that "true Christian citizenship" involves an active engagement in society to "take dominion over all things as vice-regents of God." Kennedy's remarks were reported in February 1995 by sociologist and journalist Sara Diamond, who wrote that Kennedy had "echoed the Reconstructionist line."

Its with views like this that you end up with a Trump presidency.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7805 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My mom made me confused Der/die AtheistIn 15 2580 November 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31231 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity" drfuzzy 35 13534 December 6, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51159 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  American Bible-Thumper in Scandinavia zebo-the-fat 4 1687 November 10, 2014 at 1:28 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  The bitter tears of the American Christian supermajority Rob_W75 22 4197 August 11, 2014 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15802 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  What really goes on in American churches. Napoléon 24 8955 April 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  American Military proves scientifically that prayer does not heal people. reverendjeremiah 8 4639 December 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels