Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal Inquiry: Atheists and Affirmations (Not Oaths)
Legal Inquiry: Atheists and Affirmations (Not Oaths)
I have a question for any of my fellow heathens who are lawyers or have had experience with the court system, especially here in Georgia.

Affirmations. Today I had a meeting with my attorney, who because of health reasons, is retiring and recommending my case to another lawyer. I previously instructed his secretary that I want to affirm. It was my understanding that she understood that, and she said that she would let him know.

This morning I signed an affidavit, without reading it (that is on me--yet he did explain to me what its purpose is and what it was about) releasing himself from my employ. The only problem I have is this one line: "I swear the above statement is true, so help me God."

I feel ignored and betrayed. What can I do about it? I thought about writing an addendum asserting my rights as an American citizen with no religion. Would that do any good?

Does anyone have any advice?
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Legal Inquiry: Atheists and Affirmations (Not Oaths)
Don't piss off your own legal team.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 11, 2017 at 2:51 pm)Secular Elf Wrote: I have a question for any of my fellow heathens who are lawyers or have had experience with the court system, especially here in Georgia.

Affirmations.  Today I had a meeting with my attorney, who because of health reasons, is retiring and recommending my case to another lawyer.  I previously instructed his secretary that I want to affirm.  It was my understanding that she understood that, and she said that she would let him know.  

This morning I signed an affidavit, without reading it (that is on me--yet he did explain to me what its purpose is and what it was about) releasing himself from my employ.  The only problem I have is this one line: "I swear the above statement is true, so help me God."

I feel ignored and betrayed.  What can I do about it?  I thought about writing an addendum asserting my rights as an American citizen with no religion.  Would that do any good?

Does anyone have any advice?

It might be a mere oversight if the person is packed with cases. But try to explain to them not to do that again. If they do, then you can contact.. I would not announce the contact, just do it, take names and give dates and details when and if you consult any of the places listed below. Someone should be able to point you to a lawyer who can advise you.

American Atheists
Freedom From Religion Foundation
ACLU
Americans United For Separation Of Church And State.

(August 11, 2017 at 2:56 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Don't piss off your own legal team.

Yea there is a risk in that too. But at a minimum even if you say nothing to your lawyers it would be still good to talk to those orgs just so you know you are not alone, you can ask them to keep what you send them confidential.
Some issues are worth fighting over, others, not so much. Besides, being lawyer$ they will likely charge you for the addendum.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
I would not die upon that hill, personally.
I hope my lawyer doesn't try to pull any of that shit with me. We're taking a guy who rammed my bike off the road with his van to court in October.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
The only experience I ever had with a court was the coroner's hearing for my Princess. I had to swear on a bible to tell the truth etc. Didn't bother me in the slightest; it's their house, their rules. It's merely tradition. To be honest, I was far more preoccupied with the whole situation as it was than with some pettyfogging theatre.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 12, 2017 at 8:04 am)Cyberman Wrote: The only experience I ever had with a court was the coroner's hearing for my Princess. I had to swear on a  bible to tell the truth etc. Didn't bother me in the slightest; it's their house, their rules. It's merely tradition. To be honest, I was far more preoccupied with the whole situation as it was than with some pettyfogging theatre.

No our country is our country, not just theirs. The oath of office sets the tone for all legal oaths, and since it is not required to swear to a god, sure you may not care, and that is fine. But i do not think it is good for everyone all the time to simply go with the flow. A citizen is a citizen regardless and I don't think our Christian majority has any right to assume, even in a court room.

But for you in that context I think it was reasonable considering what the issue was.
Possibly. I'm making no judgement, especially not based on my one and only experience. All I'm saying on that score is that it had no effect on my capacity for honesty, nor did I feel it made unwarranted assumptions about me as an individual. I accept that there are cultural differences.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Not trying to a jerk here but why do you care? God is someone else's creation, not mine. And while I don't personally believe in it and never have, I pledged allegiance every morning in school growing up and I still turned out ok. Personally if I needed something from our legal system I'd swear to peanut butter or Donny Osmond or butt sex if it made them happy and got me what I wanted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1841 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2507 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2281 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4325 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2177 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4053 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My Inquiry onmytablet512 87 12602 June 19, 2015 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheists not allowed to join FreeMasonry superAtheistnut 19 3686 April 19, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  5 bombshells some atheists are not aware of ManMachine 60 8318 May 6, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Atheists Could Not Answer This Question. kirkvin 34 7975 April 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: FifthElement