Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deregulation and Harvey.......
Deregulation and Harvey.......
It is all over the news, a chemical plant is now having explosions causing a circle area around it to evacuate. Just like Genex and coal ash in NC, corporations don't get punished for the damage they do. It makes no sense to me that you can sue an air bag company for cheating, or VW for cheating, and still allow big money to simply pay politicians to write new laws to allow for more cheating. If I were a property owner around that factory I would sue and demand the arrest of the owner.

When are these fuckers going to understand that they cannot bully society and put profit over safety? The chemical plant explosion is a result of letting big business do whatever the fuck it wants and this is a result of 36 years of GOP hold the government hostage.
RE: Deregulation and Harvey.......
What about his one:

Donald Trump signed an executive order just days before Hurricane Harvey that scrapped many of the flood protections introduced by Barack Obama.

The current US President, however, has abolished a number of flood standards in an attempt to get infrastructure projects approved more quickly. The Federal Flood Risk Management Standard is among those to have been rolled back.

In 2015, Mr Obama introduced measures that made it harder to build roads, bridges and other infrastructure in areas that were susceptible to flooding. Plans for such projects would legally have to take into account the impact of climate change and be built to withstand future changes.

While the new regulations had not yet come into effect, they have now been scrapped entirely after Mr Trump decided they were too likely to slow down plans for new infrastructure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...16476.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 31, 2017 at 7:31 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: What about his one:

Donald Trump signed an executive order just days before Hurricane Harvey that scrapped many of the flood protections introduced by Barack Obama.

The current US President, however, has abolished a number of flood standards in an attempt to get infrastructure projects approved more quickly. The Federal Flood Risk Management Standard is among those to have been rolled back.

In 2015, Mr Obama introduced measures that made it harder to build roads, bridges and other infrastructure in areas that were susceptible to flooding. Plans for such projects would legally have to take into account the impact of climate change and be built to withstand future changes.

While the new regulations had not yet come into effect, they have now been scrapped entirely after Mr Trump decided they were too likely to slow down plans for new infrastructure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...16476.html

That too, but this is 36 years in the making. The GOP has not given a shit about workers since the parties flipped with Nixon's southern strategy. 45 and the GOP are masters at making billionaires look like paupers who will end up eating cat food. 

Makes no fucking sense tot me if you allow for lawsuits for defective air bags or VW cheating, that one would not want to punish this fucking company for not taking measures to insure the chemicals would not become unstable. But we also live in a nation where the CEO of Wells Fargo can get away with, "I didn't know, I didn't tell them to do that".

It's fucking bullshit. I am sick and tired of the right falsely selling the idea that the rich cant make money by doing the right thing. The auto industry did not go out of business because of seat belt and air bag regulations. 

And what the top billionaires worldwide don't seem to understand is that if they don't stop being greedy and don't stop their global economy of exploitation, our planet will bite everyone in the ass and make life more difficult and create more poverty and more conflict. 

Investment in prevention costs less long term, the world needs to stop thinking for short term gain profits.
(August 31, 2017 at 7:25 am)Brian37 Wrote: It is all over the news, a chemical plant is now having explosions causing a circle area around it to evacuate. Just like Genex and coal ash in NC, corporations don't get punished for the damage they do. It makes no sense to me that you can sue an air bag company for cheating, or VW for cheating, and still allow big money to simply pay politicians to write new laws to allow for more cheating. If I were a property owner around that factory I would sue and demand the arrest of the owner.

When are these fuckers going to understand that they cannot bully society and put profit over safety? The chemical plant explosion is a result of letting big business do whatever the fuck it wants and this is a result of 36 years of GOP hold the government hostage.

Explain how they cheated....

They had two back up generators and all laws and requirements for the EPA and OSHA had been met. They had everything but a crystal ball.

How did they cheat?
(August 31, 2017 at 8:05 am)Court Jester Wrote:
(August 31, 2017 at 7:25 am)Brian37 Wrote: It is all over the news, a chemical plant is now having explosions causing a circle area around it to evacuate. Just like Genex and coal ash in NC, corporations don't get punished for the damage they do. It makes no sense to me that you can sue an air bag company for cheating, or VW for cheating, and still allow big money to simply pay politicians to write new laws to allow for more cheating. If I were a property owner around that factory I would sue and demand the arrest of the owner.

Explain how they cheated....

They had two back up generators and all laws and requirements for the EPA and OSHA had been met. They had everything but a crystal ball.

How did they cheat?

Not playing your bullshit game. Legal on paper does not mean moral long term. Your bullshit selfish attitude is why lead was kept in gas and paint despite repeated and constant warnings from scientists and health experts.

If you think regulations are always bad, then let me cook a burger at your favorite food joint and wipe the bun on my ass. Otherwise FUCK OFF!

You fucking idiot, meeting law requirements does not mean the long term policies lawmakers make are good. Otherwise we should never have taken lead out of gas or paint. 

You know what your asshole GOP will do about things like Genex, coal ash, and now this? They will simply write future laws making it easier to fuck up our environment. Again you dumbass, huge difference between legal and moral. Just because you can does not mean you should.
Come on man. You’re look through a very small distorted lens.

Your argument is about like your house sitting in an area that has never flooded and no one ever guessed that it would flood. Your insurance company said you were good, all of your local, state, and federal laws said you were good at or above board, and you even went out of your way to take extra precautions and put in twice the safety measures than were actually required. Didn’t have to, but you did. Then all of a sudden you have a flood and you gas tanks explode. The dry parts of the neighbor’s houses catch on fire and you’d get sued for not planning for that.

Realistically Brian…. Would it still be right for you to get sued? Would it still be right for there to be a public uproar because you didn’t have a crystal ball?
(August 31, 2017 at 9:27 am)Court Jester Wrote: Come on man. You’re look through a very small distorted lens.

Your argument is about like your house sitting in an area that has never flooded and no one ever guessed that it would flood. Your insurance company said you were good, all of your local, state, and federal laws said you were good at or above board, and you even went out of your way to take extra precautions and put in twice the safety measures than were actually required. Didn’t have to, but you did. Then all of a sudden you have a flood and you gas tanks explode. The dry parts of the neighbor’s houses catch on fire and you’d get sued for not planning for that.

Realistically Brian…. Would it still be right for you to get sued? Would it still be right for there to be a public uproar because you didn’t have a crystal ball?

No I am not asshole. I am 50 years old and well aware of our economic history, and if what the GOP advocated worked, nobody would be bitching. 

Assholes like 45 do not give one fuck about you and you are a fucking fool if you think he does. Billionaires will not end up on cat food if they pay more in taxes. Only a fucking asshole would blackmail society when they don't get everything they want. 

Nope sorry, the Texas working class whom have lost their homes, THEY NEED THE HELP, not a selfish fucking dick like 45. We've done the "deregulation" and "don't tax the rich" since Reagan. Trickle down DOES NOT WORK.

How could the chemical plant know? FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY DUMBASS! Anyone who has taken basic chemistry knows certain chemicals when left alone can become volatile and unstable. Don't hand me any bullshit that they couldn't have come up with an emergency plan long ago. 

Redundancy in any plan reduces risk and increases safety. But you fucking dumbass, even if I agreed with you that they had no way of knowing WHICH IS BULLSHIT, what you keep missing is that they wont do anything for the future to prevent it again. The long term history of the GOP is to simply rewrite laws to favor the business and not public safety.

The GOP wont fix this with future building codes. They will simply rewrite laws to prevent lawsuits and allow for more deregulation which will lead to more harm. 

And the lack of regulation isn't just about chemical companies or oil companies. This fucking attitude allowed Wells Fargo to commit fraud on it's clients with absolutely no accountability to the CEO or board besides a fine. That fucking asshole also said, "I didn't know".

BULL FUCKING SHIT..... They know but don't care.

This isn't about 1 industry, this is about the collective corporate billionaire climate. Lack of watchdogs lead to the great depression. Lack of watchdogs lead to Bush's triple whammy Car/Housing/Bank crash. The top simply has no real skin in the game, no punishment for when they fuck up. Not listening to scientist also kept led in gas and paint because some greedy assholes cared more about profit. Just like Wells Fargo's CEO didn't give one fuck about their client's having to deal with credit problems. GREED.
(August 31, 2017 at 9:46 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 31, 2017 at 9:27 am)Court Jester Wrote: Come on man. You’re look through a very small distorted lens.

No I am not asshole. I am 50 years old and well aware of our economic history, and if what the GOP advocated worked, nobody would be bitching. 

Assholes like 45 do not give one fuck about you and you are a fucking fool if you think he does. Billionaires will not end up on cat food if they pay more in taxes. Only a fucking asshole would blackmail society when they don't get everything they want. 

Nope sorry, the Texas working class whom have lost their homes, THEY NEED THE HELP, not a selfish fucking dick like 45. We've done the "deregulation" and "don't tax the rich" since Reagan. Trickle down DOES NOT WORK.

How could the chemical plant know? FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY DUMBASS! Anyone who has taken basic chemistry knows certain chemicals when left alone can become volatile and unstable. Don't hand me any bullshit that they couldn't have come up with an emergency plan long ago. 

Redundancy in any plan reduces risk and increases safety. But you fucking dumbass, even if I agreed with you that they had no way of knowing WHICH IS BULLSHIT, what you keep missing is that they wont do anything for the future to prevent it again. The long term history of the GOP is to simply rewrite laws to favor the business and not public safety.

The GOP wont fix this with future building codes. They will simply rewrite laws to prevent lawsuits and allow for more deregulation which will lead to more harm. 

And the lack of regulation isn't just about chemical companies or oil companies. This fucking attitude allowed Wells Fargo to commit fraud on it's clients with absolutely no accountability to the CEO or board besides a fine. That fucking asshole also said, "I didn't know".

BULL FUCKING SHIT..... They know but don't care.

This isn't about 1 industry, this is about the collective corporate billionaire climate. Lack of watchdogs lead to the great depression. Lack of watchdogs lead to Bush's triple whammy Car/Housing/Bank crash. The top simply has no real skin in the game, no punishment for when they fuck up. Not listening to scientist also kept led in gas and paint because some greedy assholes cared more about profit. Just like Wells Fargo's CEO didn't give one fuck about their client's having to deal with credit problems. GREED.

Good talk coach. You go with that.
Not defending or supporting anything at the moment, but noting a flood, with as much water as all the dams on the Missouri River system are retaining is a real stunner. And if queried beforehand on the topic, I would have assumed such a flood would have occurred HERE. It was discussed at the NRC meetings following the 2011 Missouri River flood in regards to the Ft. Calhoun nuclear power plant (a bad outcome being rather obvious) and it has been something I have given thought to. While my house and farm buildings are high enough to avoid even a worst case scenario, most of my fields will be inundated, and then I will be looking at years of recovery; removing debris, removing silt, filling in washed out areas, and rebuilding the draining system.

I'm just stunned a hurricane could dump that much water, and it's comparable to an absolutely worst case scenario for the Missouri River. Literally, this is the first flood since 2011 I would NOT trade the flood we had for. I really thought the only place in the country that could have a flood of that magnitude was the Missouri River, Jesus Texas, what a fucked up thing to 'win' !
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, I'm going with "this is a disaster that was fairly unlikely." Shit's going to go wrong. People should be evacuating anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hurricane Harvey Seraphina 228 67211 September 22, 2017 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Harvey is an excuse for a keg party at Wharton Brian37 13 2734 September 4, 2017 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Texas terrorists help Harvey victims. Brian37 15 2898 September 1, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Harvey and a "fake news" reporter..... Brian37 33 8102 August 28, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas checkpoints to remain open during Hurricane Harvey The Grand Nudger 1 783 August 25, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hurricane Harvey/GOP OP/ED...... Brian37 0 649 August 25, 2017 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Brian37