Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol
Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol
Quote:The floodgates are open and the view is glorious.
A week after the Satanic Temple said they wanted to put up a monument outside the Oklahoma Capitol building (in response to a Ten Commandments monument already on the grounds), a Hindu group is following in their footsteps.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...a-capitol/
This is going to be fun, whichever way they vote, they lose and we laugh.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol
Finally! Every time Christianity gets favored treatment by the government, I think of the Hindus as an example of Americans who are being excluded, but often they don't take action. I hope this is a sign that the times are changing.
I've heard stories about christians wanting to put a nativity scene on public property, and for the sake of fairness, the town had to put up other religious stuff as well. The end result was gaudy, and a good example of why keeping religion out of the state and such actually helps christians as much as anyone.

Some people just don't get it, though, and still want this to be a christian only nation. Really, a lot of people want this to be a theocracy, like my grandmother, despite that we have evidence that it doesn't work. You have the middle east, where women are oppressed because a religious book says they're the root of all evil, and wars between christians in Europe, due to the differences between catholics and protestants.

Abrahamic religions, or at least the offshoots of judaism, are very divisive.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I love it. Now they'll probably just trot out the "This is a Christian nation" claims, but I'm guessing the Supreme Court would see things differently.

I've often said that Christians should be careful about tearing down the wall of separation between church and state, because they're going to get establishment of religions they don't want. Now if only a Muslim group would get together to put a monument up there, those Okies will be going apeshit!
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
And so it begins, and just north of me to boot. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Just waiting for fundamentalists to flip out, hopefully without violence.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
The bigger and gaudier the better. Green! Yes.

A Satanic monument would also be a nice gesture. A big, red, burly, South Park-esque devil to worship. Complete with pitchfork.
Excellent.

They can't (but somehow they will), blame this on atheists, this time. (I know that the satanists are technically atheists).

If other religious groups demand equal access it's only fair.

It's time for the Native Americans to get in and demand their various religions be represented
Dying to live, living to die.
Yes, xtians handle other religions so tactfully!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/10/emb...que-opens/

Quote:After surviving arson, vandalism, a bomb threat and legal action, a new mosque is scheduled to open today for Friday afternoon prayers.

Rutherford County has issued the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro a temporary occupancy permit that will allow members to use the building while contractors finish the landscaping and other final touches to the property.

"I cannot express in words our excitement," said Saleh Sbenaty, who serves on the board of the mosque. "This shows that the Constitution of the United States withstands any kind of attack from either a small or large group."

Of course it is all a waste of real estate.
There are also Satanists trying to do the same thing there. And funnily enough, both the Hindu and Satanist sponsors involved in this have several thousand in OKC, so the legislature can't whip out some complaint of non-residency.

This will be hilarious. :3
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
The Scientologists really need to get in on this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3536 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Group hallucinations Fake Messiah 12 1827 April 9, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1402 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2583 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6895 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 8195 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  If "god" wants to talk to me... [new video] robvalue 55 8180 February 23, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Drich
  A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality Krishna Jaganath 70 9578 November 17, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Satanic Monument IATIA 54 10249 July 29, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Physics, Hindu Cosmology, God and New Age Inspiration Confused Ape 42 14104 March 20, 2014 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Confused Ape