Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Little Gift From Paul Ryan
A Little Gift From Paul Ryan
I hope no one is in grad school.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/opini...pe=article

Quote:Republicans in the House of Representatives have just passed a tax bill that would devastate graduate research in the United States. Hidden in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is a repeal of Section 117(d)(5) of the current tax code, a provision that is vital to all students who pursue master’s degrees or doctorates and are not independently wealthy.
I’m a graduate student at M.I.T., where I study the neurological basis of mental health disorders. My peers and I work between 40 and 80 hours a week as classroom teachers and laboratory researchers, and in return, our universities provide us with a tuition waiver for school. For M.I.T. students, this waiver keeps us from having to pay a bill of about $50,000 every year — a staggering amount, but one that is similar to the fees at many other colleges and universities. No money from the tuition waivers actually ends up in our pockets, so under Section 117(d)(5), it isn’t counted as taxable income.
But under the House’s tax bill, our waivers will be taxed. This means that M.I.T. graduate students would be responsible for paying taxes on a $80,000 annual salary, when we actually earn $33,000 a year. That’s an increase of our tax burden by at least $10,000 annually.

Apparently higher education is only for rich motherfuckers, too.
RE: A Little Gift From Paul Ryan
I think you've got this one wrong. They don't want higher education.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
That's not the point they made.

Quote:It would make meeting living expenses nearly impossible, barring all but the wealthiest students from pursuing a Ph.D.

Of course with the WLB and his gang of phony phucks, knowledge is an impediment.
The tax bill that benefits the wealthy should motivate the poorer folks to get off of their asses and vote for new Congress Critters. But they won't so all they will do is whine.
"Well, shiiiittt Vern.  I ain't going to no smarty-pants college anyway.  Why do I care if some young whipper-snapper.... probably one of the damn liberuls anyway.... gets fucked over."

Yeah.  'Murrica.
The House Tax Plan:

Where Billionaires can write off their private jets, but I can't write off my school supply expenses.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
This "bill" is payback for the scumbags who bribe them.  Nothing more.

Let's see the Dems run a campaign of "repeal the tax cuts!"
Repeal millionaires welfare.

There - that's a slogan the Democrats can use.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Disgusting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paul Krassner Dies! chimp3 1 260 July 22, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Paul Ryan Really Did Have Brass Balls. Minimalist 0 217 December 1, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Think This Will Upset The Whiny Little Bitch? Minimalist 3 600 September 13, 2018 at 11:47 am
  Little rant regarding the kneeling thing. Chad32 51 5357 September 10, 2018 at 10:14 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Yeah....But A Little Racism Always Helps Minimalist 4 611 September 9, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  This Could Be A Bad Day For Whiny Little Bitches Minimalist 20 1433 August 23, 2018 at 4:42 pm
  Rand Paul: The Postman Awlays Betrays Twice Minimalist 2 286 August 8, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Such An Insecure Little Fucktard Minimalist 15 2312 June 19, 2018 at 11:32 am
  Fucking Paul Ryan - No Balls Minimalist 7 956 May 4, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Marijuana becoming legal little by little: the bitter victory WinterHold 19 2763 April 26, 2018 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet