Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rohingya people absent from mainstream media?
The Rohingya people absent from mainstream media?
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/17/asia/myanm...index.html

Have I just missed it, or are we really not talking about this?  I've seen one story about Tillerson not feeling ready to say, "ethnic cleansing", and that's it.   I don't know much about foreign policy, but I feel like we should be at least discussing intervention?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: The Rohingya people absent from mainstream media?
It's been in the news off and on for decades. Started before most of us were born. Really ramped up in .....'01.....so, that might explain a bit.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So sad...
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
well . . .

we have a Nobel Laureate, and not just any Nobel Laureate, one that was vetted by the Clinton's, who thinks annihilating the Rohingya  is just tickety boo.

So, I'm willing to hear the arguments and reasoning for the pogrom.

The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It's been covered as recently as yesterday on our local PBS station. I don't recall if it was an NPR or Oregon Public Broadcasting slot though.
(November 17, 2017 at 2:49 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/17/asia/myanm...index.html

Have I just missed it, or are we really not talking about this?  I've seen one story about Tillerson not feeling ready to say, "ethnic cleansing", and that's it.   I don't know much about foreign policy, but I feel like we should be at least discussing intervention?

It's not on the news much because they're Muslim.
The New York Times has been covering this with reporters on the ground there. I read this atrocious story, among others, in October:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/insid...-fire.html

It's not a blaring headline story everywhere in the US because it doesn't involve sex and they're brown, impoverished people.

I feel for them, especially the mother in the story above, but I'm not sure what else I can personally do apart from donate to the UN High Commissioner on Refugees or any other organization that's actually there.

Also, Aung San Suu Kyi should have her Nobel Peace Prize rescinded.

-Teresa
Maybe the process by which she received it needs to be brought out into the open ??

Not sure Aung San Suu Kyi is at fault for accepting/receiving a Nobel, I'd think the folks bestowing it upon her might be the ones that need to be castigated, investigated, and if the findings merit it, repudiated.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 17, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: The New York Times has been covering this with reporters on the ground there. I read this atrocious story, among others, in October:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/insid...-fire.html

It's not a blaring headline story everywhere in the US because it doesn't involve sex and they're brown, impoverished people.

I feel for them, especially the mother in the story above, but I'm not sure what else I can personally do apart from donate to the UN High Commissioner on Refugees or any other organization that's actually there.

Also, Aung San Suu Kyi should have her Nobel Peace Prize rescinded.

-Teresa

All that, plus they have no light, sweet crude oil. The "first world" countries will have nothing to do with them unless there is a profit to be made, or protected.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I'm not going to say i saw this coming . But i always suspected that this was going to come to a head . And it's worst then i could have imagined .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China and Russia's presidents -both- absent from the G20 WinterHold 16 1256 October 1, 2023 at 8:09 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  knives don't stab people people stab people! Drich 135 5815 April 9, 2019 at 8:37 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Oz government crackdown on Social Media fredd bear 24 1717 March 31, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  US Military Budget Just Increased By Another 100 Billion...Media Silent ReptilianPeon 23 3476 August 5, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Donald Trump Wants To Invade Venezuela...Media Continues to Fixate on Tweets ReptilianPeon 15 3102 July 7, 2018 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Joods
  Pittsburgh Newspaper Cartoonist's anti-Trump cartoons absent from paper The Industrial Atheist 1 621 June 8, 2018 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Myanmar's ethnic cleansing against Muslim Rohingya minority WinterHold 40 10974 September 22, 2017 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Gun violence/Media & the word "motive"OP/ED Brian37 29 7651 June 14, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  The mainstream new media Drich 7 1942 November 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Trump plays media Drich 19 2624 September 21, 2016 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Whateverist