Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oz government crackdown on Social Media
Oz government crackdown on Social Media
The Australian government has been highly critical of social media platforms (esp. Facebook and Twitter)  in the wake of the New Zealand shootings.

The government had meetings last week with executives from Facebook and Twitter. The executives were told to immediately take meaningful action to ensure immediate removal of such content as it happens.. Executives were warned should they fail to do , the Australian government would pass legislation to force them to comply.

The government was not satisfied with responses. Therefore, it has been announced laws will be passed which will include up to 3 years in prison for executives, and fines for the companies of up to 10% of their annual global income.

Source: Australian Broadcasting Service (public broadcasting), Noon news. 30 March 2019

Comment; this  looks like a classic case of a government wanting to be seen to be doing something. This is a cynical political exercise, to which the majority of voters are likely to agree. Result:  Social platforms power decreases, government's power increases.

I don't use social media, because I don't trust it. I was on Facebook some years ago long enough to understand wha was going on. It was, and remains  my belief that if you find a fantastic free app, asking for nothing obvious, then you are the product, not the customer. Overall, I have always seen these platforms as doing far more harm than good to the body civil. But what do I know, I'm just a cranky old fart.

I also see such platforms as they now as transition technology. Due to ongoing, rapid changes in IT, I believe such apps will become redundant within a 10-20 years. Of course I might be very wrong.
RE: Oz government crackdown on Social Media
Yeah, good luck with that law.

If the law passes it would be hilarious if these providers came back with a request to be banned in Oz.

The populous would go ape shit.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 29, 2019 at 10:19 pm)wyzas Wrote: Yeah, good luck with that law.

If the law passes it would be hilarious if these providers came back with a request to be banned in Oz.

The populous would go ape shit.

Yup. As I said, just a cynical political ploy to garner voter approval. I seriously doubt if anyone with an IQ above ambient room temperature expects anything to actually happen.

I learned long time ago to avoid making threats . But  if you must threaten, NEVER bluff..

---of course, I'm a rotten poker player.
Hey... You liked it when they took your guns.

Now they take your right to free speech.....

That' s the usual progression.

Lay back - spread ' em - and try to enjoy it......
(March 30, 2019 at 7:09 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Hey... You liked it when they took your guns.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Jealous.

(March 30, 2019 at 7:09 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Hey... You liked it when they took your guns.

Wait- they took the guns away in Australia?  When the fuck did THAT happen?? (hint:  it didn't)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 30, 2019 at 4:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Wait- they took the guns away in Australia?  When the fuck did THAT happen?? (hint:  it didn't)

Boru
Quit trying to blow smoke up our asses.

Oz - you gotta prove you " need" a gun - and you have to have a license to buy one. You can' t own anything but bolt or lever acctuon - no semi- auto or full auto allowed.

You got gang raped and they told you it was a happy marriage.
The white supremacists gamed the system and made eveything shitty for everyone else?  You don't say.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 30, 2019 at 5:17 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: The white supremacists gamed the system and made eveything shitty for everyone else?  You don't say.

You're forgetting - a lion' s share of the reason the 68 gun bill got passed ( a ( D ) bill) -  was the Black Panthers were getting guns --- and Southern ( D )s weren't going to allow THAT....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you concerned about the future of Social Security? Foxaèr 20 1273 December 22, 2023 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Government shutdown Foxaèr 14 1085 November 16, 2023 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4572 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irish government to apologise over mother-and-baby homes zebo-the-fat 6 451 January 12, 2021 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  There's a social pandemic poisoning Europe: hatred of Muslims WinterHold 23 1339 November 2, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Social distancing? ignoramus 12 946 April 23, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Government to pay pastors' salaries with relief funding Foxaèr 7 573 April 9, 2020 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough? Rhizomorph13 14 963 April 2, 2020 at 9:28 am
  Social distancing vs a day at the beach BrianSoddingBoru4 51 3415 March 27, 2020 at 7:04 am
  Social distancing vs Prayer onlinebiker 42 2853 March 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4