Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax cuts passed in Senate
Tax cuts passed in Senate
Senate passes huge tax cuts after last-minute changes; conference with House next. After winning over last-minute holdouts, Senate Republicans early Saturday approved a massive tax overhaul that provides more than $1 trillion in tax cuts over 10 years, revamps corporate and individual tax rates, expands some credits and eliminates some popular deductions.

Vice President Pence announced the 51-49 vote about 2 a.m. 
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., predicted at an afternoon news conference that the tax overhaul could be completed by Christmas. The immediate priority is to keep the government funded, with the latest House proposal to extend temporary funding from Dec. 8 to 22, he added.

Pretty close vote. What do you all think? 

http://www.abc10.com/news/nation-world/gop-tax-bill-gains-support-senate-leaders-work-on-holdouts/495868800?=c
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Tax cuts passed in Senate
I kind of figured this would happen, we will be feeling the fall out of this terrible decision for decades to come.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

Short term, we're getting a few thousand a year from this.
This is going to break the back of the economy for the sake of paying off rich donors. Can't really expect less from a completely republican led government. Not that Obama was a whole lot better in some ways, but the republicans hated him so much they didn't care if he wanted to pass the kind of things they're working to pass now. Things are bad, and when the bottom falls out I'm sure they're still going to try to blame the other side, despite the democrats not holding a majority anywhere.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 2, 2017 at 8:49 pm)wallym Wrote: Short term, we're getting a few thousand a year from this.

It's so much worse than that.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/republi...care-next/

Quote:Florida Senator Marco Rubio admits that the Republican tax cut plan to aid corporations and the wealthy will require cuts to Social Security and Medicare to pay for it.

Rubio told reporters this week that in order to address the federal deficit, which will grow by at least $1 trillion if the tax plan passes, Congress will need to cut entitlement programs such as Social Security.
(December 2, 2017 at 8:49 pm)wallym Wrote: Short term, we're getting a few thousand a year from this.

Your income is between 100-200k$?

If you made over 200k$, you'd get back nearly 10$k from this fiscally irresponsible abortion!

Yes, I also will be getting some nice blood money.

Humorously enough, the 50-100$k bracket that only whites dominated in support for Trump?

They're getting nothing from the GOP tax plan. Sorry guys, I really tried to stop y'all from stabbing yourselves in the collective balls but a certain group just wouldn't let up. Have a merry Trumpmas and be sure to kick the shit out of the nearest Trump voter cause that's the only holiday pay-out you're getting if you make less than 100k$ per year.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(December 2, 2017 at 9:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Quote:Florida Senator Marco Rubio admits that the Republican tax cut plan to aid corporations and the wealthy will require cuts to Social Security and Medicare to pay for it.

Rubio told reporters this week that in order to address the federal deficit, which will grow by at least $1 trillion if the tax plan passes, Congress will need to cut entitlement programs such as Social Security.

Well they have to get the revenue back from somewhere. Cutting taxes, and eliminating the estate tax. Not sure how they think taking money from the poor, and what's left of the middle class, will make up for what they're shoveling into the pockets of the rich, but these guys don't care if America burns. They'll just take their business to the next country after they've leeched all they can from this one.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Anyone who supports this should bear in mind that NO tax cut in the history of tax cuts has EVER paid for itself, EVER.  This is why the republicans are admitting that they're just going to have to let the elderly starve to death.

As for the oft-repeated claim that lowering taxes on corporations is going to send USian money back to the US, anyone who believes this should familiarize themselves with the phrase 'race to the bottom'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 2, 2017 at 9:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

That's a time-honored page in the GOP playbook: starve the government of revenue and use that shortfall to justify slashing social programs. That they can do that while rewarding their donors is a win-win -- unless, of course, people wise up and punish them severely come '18 and '20. I'm not holding my breath.
(December 2, 2017 at 9:25 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote:

Your income is between 100-200k$?

If you made over 200k$, you'd get back nearly 10$k from this fiscally irresponsible abortion!

Yes, I also will be getting some nice blood money.

Humorously enough, the 50-100$k bracket that only whites dominated in support for Trump?

They're getting nothing from the GOP tax plan. Sorry guys, I really tried to stop y'all from stabbing yourselves in the collective balls but a certain group just wouldn't let up. Have a merry Trumpmas and be sure to kick the shit out of the nearest Trump voter cause that's the only holiday pay-out you're getting if you make less than 100k$ per year.

I don't yet know the full effect but as near as I can tell, I'm going to have at least $15K more taxable income, and the bracket changes aren't even close to closing that gap. I'm now in the unenviable position where I not only pay 9% to a state I don't live and cannot vote in -and- I can't deduct those taxes either.

Lots of people are going to be in the same situation as me, including a lot of single parents and middle-class families with mortgages that don't qualify for the child tax credit. People who are hardly well off, much less rich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seattle Chief of Police resigns Due Budget Cuts onlinebiker 68 3331 August 13, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the Fed can print an unlimited amount of money, why does anybody need to pay tax? ignoramus 12 943 April 24, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  President Bush The Smarter Has Passed Away Minimalist 101 5602 December 5, 2018 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump and Tax Fraud epronovost 10 1108 October 4, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Tax Bill: Pro-Life? Pro-Family?? Bullshit Minimalist 30 4150 April 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: John V
  Sexual Harassment Plagues Canadian Parliament And Senate Amarok 1 635 February 2, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  IRS tax scam phone call DO NOT ANSWER. Brian37 20 2305 January 30, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Senate confirms ex-Lockheed exec for top Pentagon policy role The Industrial Atheist 7 1494 January 11, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  The Dickhead Went To Give A Speech About the Bullshit Tax Bill Minimalist 6 1346 November 29, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Ken Ham is a Tax Dodger chimp3 17 3240 July 22, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist