Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ascribing remarkable experiences to God (spoiler: I think it's unwarranted)
Ascribing remarkable experiences to God (spoiler: I think it's unwarranted)
I notice, in many (if not most) cases, theists end up believing in God because of some remarkable experience they may have had that (for whatever reason) they link to the God of the religion/faith they're more at home with. And of course the difficulty, from the skeptic point of view, is that we don't ever have sufficient access to the experiences other people have, as experiences are very personal and subjective, and we aren't always there to witness the same things they do.

The way I personally look at this is when someone says they had a really remarkable experience that they just can't explain naturalistically, I tend to believe that they did experience something remarkable, and I do believe that sometimes remarkable things do happen that baffle the mind. But to ascribe it to the God of one's choice is really making a leap of faith, unless you have actually sensed the divine being in a manner that makes you confident that it was such (and even then, you need to account for possible hallucinations and all that).

When I've experienced a remarkable event, I sit down and think about it a lot. And no matter how I try to make it unremarkable, it just doesn't work. But I accept that bizarre coincidences can happen, and always happen, anyway. I accept that the mind does play a lot of tricks on you. That, and given so many other explanations for these weird events (such as multiple worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, simulation "theory", extra-terrestrial aliens, etc.), it would be unwise to ascribe the experience so confidently to a supreme deity. Especially when there is no clear message being sent from that deity, and/or if the experience isn't exactly something that a God would very likely trigger.

That's just my take on it.
RE: Ascribing remarkable experiences to God (spoiler: I think it's unwarranted)
That, or people tell self aggrandizing religious fibs about the day god came down and took notice of them, personally.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Ascribing remarkable experiences to God (spoiler: I think it's unwarranted)
[Image: dJ5rT4A5_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 538 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3523 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1360 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19054 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  This is what I think God is gwhendri 52 4637 May 30, 2016 at 3:32 am
Last Post: GUBU
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19387 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, mystical and/or religious? Whateverist 62 13036 August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious? Whateverist 0 1376 August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The theory of god! I don't think so. ignoramus 9 2962 August 5, 2014 at 9:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus