Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is utter arrogance
'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is utter arrogance
Sick and tired of this total lack of empathy and understanding toward the human condition that is displayed over and over again in atheist and/or humanist publications these days.

To call your self humanist whilst simultaneously rejecting outright an element so unique to human existence as religion (suggesting it is a poison!) is so desperately tragic. It gives atheists like me a bad name.

I can't believe in God. The idea seems crackers to me. But neither do I dream of a day when the whole world will be just like me; think like me; be logical like me! What kind of utopian nightmare would that be?

We can't be enlightened out of the religious condition - it is our lot! We are the animal that can believe in the supernatural. It's in our blood and bones. It can't be 'enlightened' out of us! Take a step back down to earth if you think that! Eugenics is the neighboring territory, is it not?

I like that there are people who seems crazy to me in other parts of this life! It's different. It's crazy. It's terrifying. It's exciting!

Death becomes no more meaningful in an atheist universe and you'll never sell meaningless existence to everyone. St. Paul himself couldn't make that pitch successful. I know I am the animal that knows it is going to die, and that reality can make me feel very lonely sometimes, and I can understand and appreciate why there are many people who prefer to fall for the illusion of meaning ahead of this illusion of meaningless, that all us jolly atheists share.

'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is arrogant, nasty, and not what I consider to be an appropriate message from an atheist site that intends to take itself seriously.

Do not think for one second that your 'more accurate' POV of the world makes you any more right or important than anyone else.
RE: 'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is utter arrogance
Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you've taken the time to look around the community and confirm your hypothesis that we are all a bunch of fascists who want everyone to think like us. Oh wait, you haven't done that have you? No, instead you come here, look at a perfectly reasonable joke on our banner, and decide for some explicable reason that we want to convert everyone to atheism, and that we are all "arrogant and nasty".

To us, blasphemy is a victimless crime. Why? Because we don't believe God exists. Blasphemy is the "impious utterance or action concerning god or sacred things." Tell me, if God doesn't exist (as we atheists believe), how can blasphemy be considered a crime with any sort of victim? If I hurl abuse at a non-existing person, does that person have the right to prosecute me? No...because they don't exist.

It's a joke; y'know, those things that people read and laugh about? Or did your sense of humour walk out the door on the same day you decided that all atheists were the same; arrogant, small-minded, "nasty"?

Tell you what; since I'm the forgiving type, I'll let you try again.

Welcome to the forums; tell us a bit about yourself and your beliefs.
If you don't like the view, avert your gaze!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
semantics adrian and... if you mean it by that definition, then i'm sorry and please excuse yourself from my targets.

i have been here before. i have walked the streets of these forums. i am wise. if you don't think my anger should include you individually, then don't take offense to it, for it is not for you. this is aimed at the people who do think like i say, of which there are all too many, and many more more closer to it than they would ever have the capacity to ever even realise.

I'm glad you value diversity so much, but not when it comes to harder views on atheism. I would ask you instead to look at the breathtaking arrogance of religious leaders around the world and their adherents who claim to know things they cannot know, claim to know the mind of a god and inflict us all with their own message for their own reason, and co-opt a diety for that purpose They hide behind moderates who in turn provide them the cover they need to utter their incredible bile. The moderates in turn just stand and watch, condemning in only the mildest terms, else they expose themselves to their own hypocrisy.

Blasphemy is a victimless crime. I beleive religion is pointless and dangerous, I sorry you believe it to be nasty, but who really is arrogant?
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
Your lack of capitalization offends mine eye.
i agree they are arrogant much of the time. so are you. i'd rather live in a world with neither. and also in a world where flying pigs set sail from my asshole. you think too much of humans, scarlett, and not enough of the existence.
Your posts are both arrogant and presumptuous. What irony.

Please, I beg of you, locate your shift button and make use of it.
(November 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm)ScienceIsTheOnlyLord Wrote: Sick and tired of this total lack of empathy and understanding toward the human condition that is displayed over and over again in atheist and/or humanist publications these days.

To call your self humanist whilst simultaneously rejecting outright an element so unique to human existence as religion (suggesting it is a poison!) is so desperately tragic. It gives atheists like me a bad name.

You're obviously disingenuous, you're name is 'science is the only lord' yet you're advotcating leniancy for positions that don't even come close to the level of verification needed for something to be taken seriously in science.

Quote:I can't believe in God. The idea seems crackers to me. But neither do I dream of a day when the whole world will be just like me; think like me; be logical like me! What kind of utopian nightmare would that be?

Where everyone properly evaluates their decisions and the potential consequences? How terrifying...

Quote:We can't be enlightened out of the religious condition - it is our lot! We are the animal that can believe in the supernatural. It's in our blood and bones. It can't be 'enlightened' out of us! Take a step back down to earth if you think that! Eugenics is the neighboring territory, is it not?

Our brains have the capacity to trick themselves. We should do our best to confirm our beliefs so we can eliminate this phenomenon as best we can. And was removing racial attitudes 'Eugenics'? If not then what is the difference between changing racial and experiential attitudes?

Quote:I like that there are people who seems crazy to me in other parts of this life! It's different. It's crazy. It's terrifying. It's exciting!

An absence of religion is not an absence of variation. There are plenty of other crazy things people cand do to give you the spooks, there just aren't too many of those crazy things that are the source of so much division.

Quote:Death becomes no more meaningful in an atheist universe and you'll never sell meaningless existence to everyone.

If someone wants to believe that they're going to live forever then fine, I don't really give a shit, this has nothing to do with whether or not we have good reason to believe that one proposition or the other is true.

If you care about having epistemically justified beliefs then you have reason to seek the best supported conclusion, it's really that simple.

Quote: St. Paul himself couldn't make that pitch successful. I know I am the animal that knows it is going to die, and that reality can make me feel very lonely sometimes, and I can understand and appreciate why there are many people who prefer to fall for the illusion of meaning ahead of this illusion of meaningless, that all us jolly atheists share.

If someone needs to delude themselves to feel good then I feel sorry for them, nothing more.

Quote:'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is arrogant, nasty, and not what I consider to be an appropriate message from an atheist site that intends to take itself seriously.

Does god exist? No
Can we offend a non-existent entity? No

What's the problem?

Quote:Do not think for one second that your 'more accurate' POV of the world makes you any more right or important than anyone else.

More right? Yes, by definition.

More important? No.
(November 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm)ScienceIsTheOnlyLord Wrote: i agree they are arrogant much of the time. so are you. i'd rather live in a world with neither. and also in a world where flying pigs set sail from my asshole. you think too much of humans, scarlett, and not enough of the existence.

How long do you intend to keep up the 'I'm an athest' sharade?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disasters, war, crime, ect ... and Survival. Brian37 19 1602 July 19, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Blasphemy law in the United States Interaktive 37 3485 February 2, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Yongy50
  International Blasphemy Rights Day! chimp3 29 3345 September 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  International Blasphemy Day 2017 chimp3 84 20363 September 14, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  International Blasphemy Day chimp3 153 19122 October 9, 2016 at 4:35 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think political correctness is a new cover for blasphemy? TheMessiah 20 5054 June 10, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Blasphemy Day Fromper 42 6978 October 1, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Indonesian man faces 11 years in prison for blasphemy Ziploc Surprise 2 2057 May 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Chaostheosis
  Employee Lounge Blasphemy: Tales of a Coffee Cup thesummerqueen 4 2058 September 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  is blasphemy blasphemy? yuriythebest 6 3626 September 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: krazedkat