Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness
Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness
From a psychiatrist's perspective, religion can be considered a delusion or illness (The God Delusion). This is why many religions are anti-psychiatry (Scientology is very anti-psychiatry). Hearing voices (God, angels, or demons) is a symptom of psychosis in mental illness. Speaking in tongues? Exorcisms? Religious delusions are common among the mentally ill and as we know the "sane" too. There is a book called the Three Christs of Ypsilanti about three schizophrenic patients that thought they were Jesus. Prayer is trying to talk to "God." Anyone that talks to God needs an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer. I should know, part of my bipolar when I am manic is religiosity and obsession over existence of God, religion, the meaning of life and death. When I am stable, I am more rational and atheist in my thinking.

http://www.bible.ca/psychiatry/psychiatr...hrenic.htm
RE: Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness
Scientology is mainly against psychiatry because Hubbard was pissed that the psychiatrists weren't impressed by his ideas in Dianetics.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hubbard was nuts.
Mental Illness is proof there is NO god

How in the FUCK does a loving gawd allow you to hear voices that want you to kill yourself and others?

Lets get real
I don't know about that but it seems a little over the top to conclude religion is mental illness. I know plenty of people who are theist and entirely rational. I doubt it.
(May 8, 2015 at 7:54 pm)whateverist Wrote: I know plenty of people who are theist and entirely rational.

Theist+rational=oxymoron
Bill+Moyers=counter-example.
Also plenty of irrational atheists. :-)
Yeah those who believe in god don't have an advantage. Those who don't believe in gods don't have an advantage. At the end of the day we're all individuals.

https://youtu.be/jVygqjyS4CA?t=30s
(May 8, 2015 at 8:04 pm)mbk734 Wrote:
(May 8, 2015 at 7:54 pm)whateverist Wrote: I know plenty of people who are theist and entirely rational.

Theist+rational=oxymoron

Bad stereotype. Most religious people are perfectly rational in all areas of their lives except religion. And even then, the majority of religious folk are moderate about it. Your generalization is unjustified.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 562 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4195 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5535 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 9720 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Mental torture purplepurpose 45 12834 January 21, 2018 at 6:17 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1296 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4318 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  The human brain is under a delusion that it is a mind Blackrook 45 7981 September 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The God Delusion Documentary CindysRain 29 4864 July 24, 2014 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  Nigeria atheist sent to a mental institute Nine 15 3323 June 26, 2014 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0