Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Free-Thought a Mental Disease?
Is Free-Thought a Mental Disease?
Sorry I just had to make another Post as I came upon this link.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2010/10/08...l-illness/
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
RE: Is Free-Thought a mental disease.
I could go into how many ways this article is just flat-out wrong and ignorant of the DSM-IV especially in regards to freethinking [especially in that the usual expressions of free thought do not match even half the symptoms described for ODD] but it would take far too long. I'll just sum it up with "People should research what the fuck they're talking about before they begin reporting on it."
RE: Is Free-Thought a Mental Disease?
(July 11, 2013 at 3:21 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I could go into how many ways this article is just flat-out wrong and ignorant of the DSM-IV especially in regards to freethinking [especially in that the usual expressions of free thought do not match even half the symptoms described for ODD] but it would take far too long. I'll just sum it up with "People should research what the fuck they're talking about before they begin reporting on it."
ROFLOL
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
No. Great
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(July 11, 2013 at 3:21 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I could go into how many ways this article is just flat-out wrong and ignorant of the DSM-IV especially in regards to freethinking [especially in that the usual expressions of free thought do not match even half the symptoms described for ODD] but it would take far too long. I'll just sum it up with "People should research what the fuck they're talking about before they begin reporting on it."

Yeah, only a retard would think that ODD implies that anyone that isn't a complete conformist is mentally ill.

Then again, if you scroll down to the bottom you find this with a link...
Quote:If you liked this article you may be interested in this product from our sponsor.
http://www.theonlywayback.com/

...which contains such gems as...

Quote:Right this minute, we are seeing an acceleration of tyranny unprecedented in the history of the United States. And it’s happening because most Christians no longer believe in God’s Word as the basis of justice.

...and...

Quote:Why Atheists in America Love Death!

This point is one of the most shocking of all. Because underneath a humanist’s claim to love freedom is actually a person who is in love with death!

Like I said, only a retard...
Quote:The manual identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD. Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.

Anyone who thinks these symptoms are the basis of free thought is an idiot. Free thinkers only get this way when they're confronted by idiots with dogmatic beliefs who insist that others also share those beliefs.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I don't really believe in mental disease or illness for that very reason.

The brain simply adapts to it's surroundings, for example, if you are born in North Korea, if you are healthy, you will think irrationally as your own self defence, because the punishment for rational thinking is a gulag. In many societies, logic is punished, especially in the past and in back water countries. Irrationality starts at childhood, in a violent and crazy environment, the child has to become irrational otherwise he would receive more beatings and abuse for asking questions that reveals the parents irrational thinking. So the child naturally adapts and learns the language of irrationality, which becomes very hard to shake in adult life. Once you learn a language, it is hard to unlearn.
The only freedom, is freedom from illusion.
We'll just chalk that up to another subject you don't know shit about.
(July 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm)Faith No More Wrote: We'll just chalk that up to another subject you don't know shit about.

Ummm, nuh-uh....

It simply explains a lot... Undecided
Those in power, of course, would think that being defiant is an illness. After all, the perfect citizen is one who keeps his head down, never questions anything, and works like a mule for very little money. Of course, powerful individuals are also defined as ill, for they possess many traits that define them as psychopaths.

Quote:“Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” – Think Different, narrated by Steve Jobs
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2621 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mental torture purplepurpose 45 12854 January 21, 2018 at 6:17 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1300 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  An alternative to atheist thought BlindedWantsToSee 125 24339 September 28, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Caught in deep thought dyresand 9 3871 June 21, 2017 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8605 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15093 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman
  Thought id share this dyresand 16 4413 January 10, 2015 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Exian
  I thought about something that bothered me dyresand 11 2668 December 7, 2014 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Darkstar
  id thought i would share this. dyresand 2 1176 November 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: dyresand