Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uber Pay Gap
Uber Pay Gap
Long but interesting read:
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-can...r-pay-gap/

In short, a study found that male Uber drivers earn about 7% more per hour than females.

The Uber algorithm doesn't even know the gender of drivers, so that's not a cause. 
The researchers looked at selection by riders and found no discrimination against women there either.

The main explanations were:
1. Men drive a little faster and so complete more rides per hour.
2. Men stick with Uber longer than women, and so gain experience and better know profitable practices, like when and where to drive.

Since discrimination has been ruled out, is the difference in outcomes a problem?

Should Uber volunteer - or be forced - to bump women's pay 7% so that outcomes are the same?
RE: Uber Pay Gap
Is anyone insisting that they should?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 7, 2018 at 1:52 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Is anyone insisting that they should?

No. I'm asking a question. This is a specific case with good research. The general issue is equality of outcomes opportunity* vs. equality of results.

*Tx Rye
I don't think anyone is claiming that all pay gap instances are cases of gender discrimination. Similarly, it would be disingenuous to attempt to point to cases that aren't as evidence that gender-based pay discrimination doesn't exist. 

The answer to your question is 'no'. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 7, 2018 at 1:52 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Is anyone insisting that they should?

I thought Uber drivers gets paid a percent of their fare, so they personally earn less if they generate less fare.

What alpha baboon is really after, is to make sacrosanct the right of private employers to discriminate based on sex without having to demonstrate individual differences in performances. So he seeks to insinuate that because evidence for aggregate differences exist somewhere, women individually everywhere should shut up.

He thinks he is pretty clever in this approach. Hence his generally repulsive smarmy air.  I admit it is actually not a bad level of tactical sophistication for a lobotomized baboon such as him.  But the fact that he is not amongst his fellow baboons seem to escape him.
(February 7, 2018 at 2:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I don't think anyone is claiming that all pay gap instances are cases of gender discrimination. Similarly, it would be disingenuous to attempt to point to cases that aren't as evidence that gender-based pay discrimination doesn't exist. 

The answer to your question is 'no'. 

Boru

Thanks for actually answering the question.
/thread?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Well then... I thought it was an interesting thing to talk about.

You always hear about hardcore feminists yelling sexism and such at titles such as this but to discuss how we as genders are different enough to naturally get gaps is a good point.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(February 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm)alpha male Wrote:

No. I'm asking a question. This is a specific case with good research. The general issue is equality of outcomes vs. equality of results.
You sure you don’t mean equality of OPPORTUNITY vs. results? Because outcomes and results are synonymous and opportunity matches the general discrimination arguments.

Really, that said, in most jobs, women don’t even have the same opportunities as men, and, as a result, the pay gap is larger overall than it is for Uber. And it seems the more opportunities women get, the closer it comes to being closed.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...gap-facts/

Maybe Uber has reached a point where we can talk about opportunity vs. results, but most jobs still haven’t.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 7, 2018 at 2:11 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: What alpha baboon is really after

Yes, the implications you note (absent the derogatory wording) are part of the purpose, but I really do want to see if anyone favors equality of outcomes. It wouldn't surprise me if some people (Tizheruk comes to mind) support that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7419 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Can Japan Ever Truly Pay for it' s Sins? onlinebiker 29 1189 December 7, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4857 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Jersey Voters Did Pay Attention Minimalist 2 527 November 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Four presidents come together to pay tribute Foxaèr 15 2796 April 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  House Repugnicunts take a swipe at overtime pay. Ravenshire 9 3719 May 4, 2017 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4733 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Get ready to pay taxes to fund religious schools! Hurray! Aroura 8 1329 November 26, 2016 at 12:01 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Despot Donald brags about pay to play Brian37 7 1481 August 25, 2016 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Poor Shaming Doesn't Pay Minimalist 23 3525 July 29, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist