Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethnographic Research (Help please!)
Ethnographic Research (Help please!)
Greetings! 

I'm a master's seminary student currently writing an ethnography focusing on the worldviews of atheists and agnostics in the 18-26 age range. I must interview a number of atheists and agnostics to complete this assignment, so I would be extremely grateful to anyone who would be willing to answer some questions for me. 

If you are interested, please respond to the following list of questions (or as many as you can!) in a single post. Thank you in advance for your time and willingness to help me out with this project! 

Preliminary Background:
What is your age?

What is your current academic status (student, former student, alumnus, etc.)?

(If applicable) How far along in your studies are you?

What is (was) your major?

Why are (were) you in college?

What are your future plans/goals?

Briefly describe your family background.

Social Structures
Describe your current relationship with your family.

Describe your social life.

Are close relationships with friends/family important? Why or why not?

Which is more important: the personal life or the professional life?

Ontological

What is the source of power and success?

What is the origin of the universe?

What is the origin and destiny of humanity?

Is there any form of spiritual dimension of reality? If so, briefly describe it.

Do incorporeal beings exist?

How do you define ‘God’?

How do you define ‘truth’?

Epistemological
How do you know what is true?

Is there an objective standard by virtue of which one can distinguish truth and falsity, and if so, why is it a reliable standard?

Assuming no objective truth exists, how can you correctly form and evaluate truth claims?

Axiology
Are morals and ethics subjective or objective?

How do you know right from wrong?

Can science explain the origin of moral values and concerns? How so?

How would you describe a “good person”? A “bad person”?

What would an “ideal society” look like?

Do people act purely out of self-interest?

What is the most important moral attribute (i.e. love, justice, equality, selflessness, etc.)? How do you define it?

What is mankind’s single biggest problem?

Is there a solution to this problem, and if so, what is it?
RE: Ethnographic Research (Help please!)
Why do we always end up as homework?!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
People doing real research usually give real names, credentials, and the name of the institution they are working for.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Maybe we should just compile an FAQ of sorts with links to the previous threads since the questions are pretty much the same every time, and are being posted quite frequently these days?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Do you want a pee sample, too?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(February 28, 2018 at 11:45 pm)Jenny A Wrote: People doing real research usually give real names, credentials,  and the name of the institution they are working for.

This is not going to be published. It is simply a "practice" project required by my program at Columbia International University.
(February 28, 2018 at 11:45 pm)Jenny A Wrote: People doing real research usually give real names, credentials, and the name of the institution they are working for.

Lol I doubt a seminary is teaching them academic rigor... Big Grin
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Practice research is research. And you sure want a lot of info.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Just make shit up! That would be easier than trying to get a group of atheists to cooperate.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(February 28, 2018 at 11:59 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Just make shit up! That would be easier than trying to get a group of atheists to cooperate.

Ha, it was tempting, but I'd really rather learn from the source. Already talked to all the people I know and still have a lot more to go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trying to leave Christianity permanently, please help DoubtingHerFaith 45 5803 January 7, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Please accept me here! Keintucky 22 4608 July 4, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  I need a lttle help with a few questions please Guesto123 16 1981 January 20, 2015 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Nope
  Please let this be better then the other af. Indiveren 46 10341 December 5, 2014 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Hello, please allow me to introduce me Owlix 61 9261 October 29, 2013 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Hello... please don't kill me... Garuda 41 5732 April 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Brayton.l
  please forgive me,i am sorry for that. nomercy 15 3986 March 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Loading... Please Wait. Loading Please Wait 11 3628 August 31, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  I Aim To Please Deus non est 11 3333 April 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused