Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feelings towards religion
Feelings towards religion
Many religious claim they have a religion because it makes them feel happy, but if someone tells them: "I am unable to feel comfort from religion.", they'll respond is something like: "You're wrong", "You shouldn't feel this way" or "Religion doesn't give you comfort only because you choose so.".
So it's alright to have a religion based on your feelings, but it's wrong not to have one based on feelings.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Feelings towards religion
Their is a sense of peace in remembering God that is unlike any other peace or tranquility a person can feel.
Back so soon, MK? That was a quick study. 😝
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(April 8, 2018 at 8:40 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Back so soon, MK?  That was a quick study. 😝

lol, we am almost done the group project. So.. it's fine, only code monkey stuff left, nothing hard to figure out.
It's more the community and support than the god belief. Belonging to a group helps us as social creatures, regardless of which god the groups believe in, if any. Correlation does not equal causation.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 8, 2018 at 7:43 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Many religious claim they have a religion because it makes them feel happy, but if someone tells them: "I am unable to feel comfort from religion.", they'll respond is something like: "You're wrong", "You shouldn't feel this way" or "Religion doesn't give you comfort only because you choose so.".
So it's alright to have a religion based on your feelings, but it's wrong not to have one based on feelings.

"Feelings" ultimately have nothing to do with the ability to demonstrate the credibility of what one claims, on any subject.

I didn't ditch my former religion because of feelings. I left that position over time because of deep reflection and questioning it became clear that there was no evidence for a super natural power, nor the fantastic claims of that book of mythology.

But the same can be said for every religion in the world. Nobody worldwide back in antiquity had any clue as to our modern scientific understanding of nature and reality.

It certainly is ok for atheists to have feelings. Humans regardless of label have feelings because of evolution. BUT if you are going to hold any position, it should be based on facts, evidence and should be subject to testing, falsification and independent peer review.

I've seen plenty of atheists over the years that stop at "that doesn't make sense", but really don't do any work to know why they think that. I'd say if you don't do the work to understand your own position, you're setting yourself up to fall for a slick apologist and or your own emotions and potentially fall back into theism.
(April 8, 2018 at 7:43 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Many religious claim they have a religion because it makes them feel happy, but if someone tells them: "I am unable to feel comfort from religion.", they'll respond is something like: "You're wrong", "You shouldn't feel this way" or "Religion doesn't give you comfort only because you choose so.".

Around here we're often told first you have to really, really, really believe it and then eventually it will work.  Right. Dodgy

(April 8, 2018 at 8:34 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Their is a sense of peace in remembering God that is unlike any other peace or tranquility a person can feel.

How many alternative approaches to peace and tranquility have you devoted yourself to with equal time and diligence as you have with Islam?
(April 8, 2018 at 8:34 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Their is a sense of peace in remembering God that is unlike any other peace or tranquility a person can feel.
Speak for yourself, not others.  Please.
(April 8, 2018 at 10:06 am)Brian37 Wrote: "Feelings" ultimately have nothing to do with the ability to demonstrate the credibility of what one claims, on any subject.

I didn't ditch my former religion because of feelings. I left that position over time because of deep reflection and questioning it became clear that there was no evidence for a super natural power, nor the fantastic claims of that book of mythology.

But the same can be said for every religion in the world. Nobody worldwide back in antiquity had any clue as to our modern scientific understanding of nature and reality.

It certainly is ok for atheists to have feelings. Humans regardless of label have feelings because of evolution. BUT if you are going to hold any position, it should be based on facts, evidence and should be subject to testing, falsification and independent peer review.

I've seen plenty of atheists over the years that stop at "that doesn't make sense", but really don't do any work to know why they think that. I'd say if you don't do the work to understand your own position, you're setting yourself up to fall for a slick apologist and or your own emotions and potentially fall back into theism.

I also didn't became an atheist because of emotions. I just wanted to point out that the argument that you should follow religion out of comfort, doesn't hold up if a person is happy as an atheist. I totally agree that we should base our opinions on thinking, not emotions, but I wanted to write a different argument.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1299 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Feelings vs data. I_am_not_mafia 13 1469 June 14, 2018 at 2:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do leftists tends to be more sympathetic towards lack of humanism in islamic world Runi93 7 981 May 19, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10601 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19601 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Tribal loyalty towards your former religion Aaran 27 6153 July 13, 2015 at 6:20 am
Last Post: Metis
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48976 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Ban all discrimination towards athiests xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 11 3535 March 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5161 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused