Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God of War
God of War
Currently one of the highest rated games on Metacritic ever: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/god-of-war

Anyone else getting this game?

I don't want to get caught up on the hype but god damn it's being raved about.
RE: God of War
I may be too old for a PS.
Hmmm. If it's that high rated did they change the gameplay a lot from the others? I've tried out 1, 2 and 3 and they seemed like repetitive action games but more linear than and without the options you'd get from Diablo or World of Warcraft style repetitiveness.

I've never been able to stay interested in a totally linear game anyhow. No matter how good it is it needs replayability, for me.

Or did they change the gameplay a bunch and allow for more replayability?
WTAF! NAPA?

How's the IT going? How long has it been? How many kids you got now, 6?

funnily enough, I was also reading about that game too. Lots of hype ... Not getting that excited until it's ported for pc though.

Stick around mofo.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I might give it a shot.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I managed to complete the story on Monday night. I'd guess it took around 30 hours ish?

Jesus christ, I can tell you the hype is worth it. Best game I've played in a looooong time.

@Hammy, the way I would describe it is it's semi-open world. You have a sort of main hub area and can go off and explore other areas pretty much whenever you feel like. In fact the game actively encourages you to explore. Whenever you have to go back to the same place it's so cleverly done you're effectively discovering it for the first time again.

Gameplay is a lot more nuanced than the previous games. It's God of War for sure, but not as you know it. It starts off where you can just mash buttons but as you progress and upgrade you get new moves there's a whole lot more to it. Which brings me onto something else, there's a surprising amount of RPG elements which I was really glad about. It plays a lot like the old PS2 games in a rather strange way, where the game just feels like a complete package for once. Personally I'm sick of the open world tropes like 'collecting cups' or trying to shoehorn in lame ass multiplayer for the sake of it. This game just delivers a fantastic story, fantastic gameplay and you feel a real sense of accomplishment playing through it.

Honestly, I'm sad that I can't continue with the story and experience more. I don't want to spoil what happens but I'll say, rarely in games am I playing it and am I having serious jaw dropping moments. In this game there were too many to count. There's also a fair amount of side stuff to do and a couple of 'grinding' areas where you can do stuff to level up and craft new gear, but I won't say much more than that.

Anyone wondering if they should buy it? Just do yourself a favour and get it.
I bought it and I love it.

I get the souls like vybe obviously, but I love the game play and the narrative. Never really played much of the previous games but I know this is a departure from the previous DMC genre that GOW used to have.

I love the Nordic mythology and the the map designs are just top class. The score, the narrative and the style is just lightning in a bottle. It all comes together nicely and I’d agree with you Napo, one of the best I’ve played in a long time. The farther son stuff really worked for me, and thankfully there was no touchy feely ‘everyone is special’ bullshit which I could easily see being shoehorned into this type of story.

Along with this and Nier, I’m thankful that studios realise they single player experiences, for me, > ‘live services’ which I’m reluctant to ever get into again after being burned by destiny.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(April 25, 2018 at 11:33 am)Napoléon Wrote: @Hammy, the way I would describe it is it's semi-open world. You have a sort of main hub area and can go off and explore other areas pretty much whenever you feel like. In fact the game actively encourages you to explore. Whenever you have to go back to the same place it's so cleverly done you're effectively discovering it for the first time again.

Oh wow that does sound awesome. Many of my favorite games are hub based.

I'm generally trying to avoid playing games that are like the 2010 image here:

[Image: B-PaiSVIUAA0l-P.png]

Quote:Gameplay is a lot more nuanced than the previous games. It's God of War for sure, but not as you know it. It starts off where you can just mash buttons but as you progress and upgrade you get new moves there's a whole lot more to it. Which brings me onto something else, there's a surprising amount of RPG elements which I was really glad about.

Heh! It sounds like God of War meets Diablo open world style or something!

Quote: It plays a lot like the old PS2 games in a rather strange way, where the game just feels like a complete package for once. Personally I'm sick of the open world tropes like 'collecting cups' or trying to shoehorn in lame ass multiplayer for the sake of it. This game just delivers a fantastic story, fantastic gameplay and you feel a real sense of accomplishment playing through it.

Yeah I can't be bothered with that acheivements lark. I just like good level design and replayability.

Although my favorite games of all tend to have generated worlds (we're not talking Minecraft though... I kept trying to get into that but it's too slow going).

Quote:Honestly, I'm sad that I can't continue with the story and experience more. I don't want to spoil what happens but I'll say, rarely in games am I playing it and am I having serious jaw dropping moments. In this game there were too many to count. There's also a fair amount of side stuff to do and a couple of 'grinding' areas where you can do stuff to level up and craft new gear, but I won't say much more than that.

Anyone wondering if they should buy it? Just do yourself a favour and get it.

Haha I would but I have no console or TV!

I only play PC games. I take it it's console only?
(April 25, 2018 at 8:01 pm)Hammy Wrote: Haha I would but I have no console or TV!

don't feel too bad a PS4 emulator is being developed.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(April 26, 2018 at 12:02 am)dyresand Wrote:
(April 25, 2018 at 8:01 pm)Hammy Wrote: Haha I would but I have no console or TV!

don't feel too bad a PS4 emulator is being developed.

Of course, another point is that I'm too busy playing AoE2 to play anything else Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rota <3 : God of War spoiler WinterHold 3 317 August 8, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dawn of War Edwardo Piet 14 2149 August 25, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  War Thunder anyone? dyresand 0 667 June 2, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Gears of War Duke Guilmon 10 2443 May 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Total War: Rome II Tobie 20 5146 October 31, 2013 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rome 2 Total War Something completely different 30 10665 June 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Total war series Ethan1581 4 1448 January 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Ethan1581
  The War Z Reforged 4 2658 September 24, 2012 at 7:11 am
Last Post: Reforged
  Rome Total War Napoléon 33 11653 July 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Battlefield/Halo/Resistance/Gears of War/etc gaming clan Creed of Heresy 0 1340 July 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy