Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Do You Hear
Which Do You Hear
Which do you hear. Yanny or Laurel? 

"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Which Do You Hear
It's been on the ABC the last few mornings driving people nuts with it.

Most men here hear Laurel (me too)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 17, 2018 at 7:40 am)ignoramus Wrote: It's been on the ABC the last few mornings driving people nuts with it.

Most men here hear Laurel (me too)

I heard Laurel last night but I heard Yanny this morning. Some expert of something said it depends on where a person puts their focus. Try focusing on Yanny and see if what you heard the first time changes.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Can only ever hear Laurel in an American accent. I did also read that your own accent can help determine what you hear.
A waste of time.
It sounds exactly like "Laurel" and nothing like "Yanny" whatsoever.
I heard Yanny. Found a video explaining the phenomenon.

How can you hear Yanny?!?!?! Those two words are completely different.

WHATTTTTTT 47% hear Yanny? WTF but again, those words sound nothing like each other wtf.

So 47% of people always thought Laurel and Hardy were Yanny and Hardy? WTF lol. It makes no sense at all the pronunciation is completely different!

Why do we never get people talking of the famous comedy duo Yanny and Hardy then?

EDIT: LOL in that video he said the soundwaves were similar when they looked very different lol. They sound different and look different. Makes no sense. Some people may be primed to hear Yanny but the actual sound is clearly Laurel and those two words are both spelled and pronounced completely differently.

It's like saying "Do you hear Yogurt or cabbage?" lol.

One starts and ends in a "y" sound the other starts and ends in an "l" sound. One has a strong "n" sound in it the other does not. It's not even close to being similar in pronunciation. What a joke.

EDIT 2: WTF the pitch being brought down thing is weird because this suggests he's not really saying Yanny or Laurel. If he's really saying Laurel then that sounds nothing like Yanny. This is why it's Laurel and Hardy and not Yanny and Hardy.

EDIT 3: Oh my ears are accurate then. It's Laurel.
(May 17, 2018 at 8:40 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I heard Yanny. Found a video explaining the phenomenon.

I heard Laurel in the OP's video but Yanny in yours.

Yanny and Hardy, lol
Depending on what I focus on I hear "Laurel", or "Yuri" (or perhaps "Yeri"). I don't see what the big deal is - clearly there are two different modulations applied to the sound, at different frequencies, so different interpretations are obviously possible, especially, that it doesn't sound like a natural human voice. 

Besides, a great deal of what we hear is dependent on visual information - it's called McGurk effect.  Sounds as different as "b" and "f", for example, can be easily confused by our brain, even when dealing with actual human speech.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 726 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which famous clone would you adopt? Fake Messiah 10 907 January 24, 2023 at 7:49 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 803 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Which is worse? Foxaèr 13 590 February 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1779 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 555 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2388 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
Question Which of the seven dwarfs are you? (Quiz) Angrboda 33 2292 September 21, 2018 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Which Banned AF Member Are You? Edwardo Piet 54 7443 May 1, 2018 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which bible character are you? 2.0 Losty 26 1896 April 30, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: KevinM1