Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stick a Fork Into the Ground 2 Miles outside Lebanon KS
Stick a Fork Into the Ground 2 Miles outside Lebanon KS
Stick a fork in the geographical center of the United States - two miles outside of Lebanon, KS because the US is done!

72 super PACs spent $83.7 million on election, financial disclosure reports show

By T.W. Farnam
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 3, 2010; 10:22 PM

The newly created independent political groups known as super PACs, which raised and spent millions of dollars on last month's elections, drew much of their funding from private-equity partners and others in the financial industry, according to new financial disclosure reports.
This Story

The 72 super PACs, all formed this year, together spent $83.7 million on the election. The figures provide the best indication yet of the impact of recent Supreme Court decisions that opened the door for wealthy individuals and corporations to give unlimited contributions.

The financial disclosure reports also underscore the extent to which the flow of corporate money will be tied to political goals. Private-equity partners and hedge fund managers, for example, have a substantial stake in several issues before Congress, primarily the taxes they pay on their earnings.

"Super PACs provide a means for the super wealthy to have even more influence and an even greater voice in the political process," said Meredith McGehee, a lobbyist for the Campaign Legal Center, which advocates for tighter regulation of money in politics.

American Crossroads, a conservative super PAC that outspent its peers, pulled in six- and seven-figure donations from the financial industry. That included $500,000 from Anne Dias-Griffin, founder of the Aragon Global Management hedge fund, and her husband, Kenneth Griffin, founder of the Citadel Investment Group hedge fund.
ad_icon

Crossroads, which was founded with the support of Bush administration adviser Karl Rove, raised $70 million, much of it used to support 10 Republican Senate candidates and 30 Republican House candidates.

John Childs, founder of Boston-based J.W. Childs Associates, gave $650,000 to the Club for Growth, an anti-tax group. Dalea Partners, a private-equity firm based in Oklahoma City, gave $250,000 to the First Amendment Alliance, which spent money opposing five Democratic Senate candidates, including incumbents Harry M. Reid (Nev.) and Michael Bennet (Colo.).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...id=topnews

The Geographic Center of the US

[Image: 08geographiccenter3.JPG]
The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
RE: Stick a Fork Into the Ground 2 Miles outside Lebanon KS
The unions are jealous.
This is why this is illegal in some/most/all countries of europe, and i also think it's forbidden to have stocks or seats in the private sector, and run for public office it's considered a "conflict of interests" and is also forbidden if your immediate family is part of the private sector management too
(December 4, 2010 at 4:07 pm)Ashendant Wrote: This is why this is illegal in some/most/all countries of europe, and i also think it's forbidden to have stocks or seats in the private sector, and run for public office it's considered a "conflict of interests" and is also forbidden if your immediate family is part of the private sector management too

Now that is what I call well grounded common sense! Unfortunately, too many Americans have become obedient to the Orwellian discourse, as presented courtesy of FAUX News and right wing bloggers, that discourse being, that the truth is lies and the lies are truth, further they've accepted and hold righteous the Animal Farm rules, especially inclusive of the overall acknowledgment, that some animals are more equal than others. Further they are more than willing to serve the corporate state and defend the inequity til their dying breath. Sadly they have no idea that they are well trained and behaving as Pavlov's Dogs!

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
You're babbling as usual. You said nothing in 2 strung out sentences.
There were 3 sentences. Tongue
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(December 5, 2010 at 7:11 am)Dotard Wrote: There were 3 sentences. Tongue

Those were big words, you can't expect it to count too!
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
It's nothing but the super wealthy buying elections. I don't think there we're even a republic or democracy any more.
(December 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm)lrh9 Wrote: It's nothing but the super wealthy buying elections. I don't think there we're even a republic or democracy any more.

What's your alternative?
(December 5, 2010 at 9:28 pm)Mishka Wrote:
(December 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm)lrh9 Wrote: It's nothing but the super wealthy buying elections. I don't think there we're even a republic or democracy any more.

What's your alternative?

Apparently the Tea Party wants a Authoritarian Timocracy, maybe you should go for that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are conservatives in this country trying to turn 'Murica into Nazi Germany? Foxaèr 11 1442 May 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 570 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Are Christians trying to turn US into a theocracy? Fake Messiah 11 783 October 8, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2555 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 251 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Why is it Politics has no turned into an us verses them? Why? GODZILLA 29 2547 July 11, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  NFL owners admit Trump pressured them into banning player protests Foxaèr 27 2831 May 24, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space Coveny 16 1527 February 10, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  This is why outside this forum i don't debate Politics Amarok 27 4273 January 31, 2018 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Pussy Grabbers of a Feather Have to Stick Together! Minimalist 4 431 April 7, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13