Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillip Roth Dead!
Phillip Roth Dead!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/philip...smsnnews11

No complaining! Wave goodbye Columbus!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Phillip Roth Dead!
And here I am in the middle of a big Roth kick!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
A giant has passed. What a career!

Funny, but just the other day I was thinking about re-reading "The Ghost Writer". That is how I will spend this evening.
Who???
(May 23, 2018 at 10:43 am)Kit Wrote: Who???

Who? I thought you were a writer.
(May 23, 2018 at 10:46 am)Crossless2.0 Wrote:

Dodgy

My favorite authors are Dean Koontz and Anne Rice; that should tell you something.
(May 23, 2018 at 10:53 am)Kit Wrote:
(May 23, 2018 at 10:46 am)Crossless2.0 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/philip...smsnnews11

Dodgy

My favorite authors are Dean Koontz and Anne Rice; that should tell you something.

Lol

You might like Roth. He's often wickedly funny.

Here's a list of his best works to get you started:

1. Portnoy's Complaint
2. American Pastoral
3. The Human Stain
4. Plot Against America
5. Zuckerman Bound

Also, his novella Indignation involves, as a crucial subplot, the narrator being persecuted (by his college) for refusing to go to church (which ends up getting him expelled, sent to Korea, and apparently killed there).

I'm going to my therapist today and there's a Half-Price Books close to her. When I'll drive there, I'll go there, and if there are any hardcover editions of Roth's books I haven't already bought, I'll get them. My reading queue has been getting thin anyway, and my copy of The Book of Disquiet hasn't come yet (even a week and a half after I ordered it!)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Well at least he had some fun in his life. I remember in one of his books he describes being in a whorehouse getting a hand job from a ho and how he couldn't cum so he had to imagine jerking himself off; or when how his dad couldn't shit so he had to eat oats and even then it was just crumbs of poo; or how his Jewish mother threats him like he's zero years old and I think he patented situation in which he meets his g/f parents at their house and they're watching him like he's this strange orthodox Jew.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Clint Walker just snuffed it as well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Phillip Hughes Death Aractus 9 2223 December 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist