Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The monopoly manual and holy books.
The monopoly manual and holy books.
Let me ask this. Have you seen 2 people read a monopoly manual and come up with entirely contradictory ways to play monopoly?No? Me neither.
But then we have holy books. Namely the qur'an and the bible. How come two people can read the qur'an and one turns to be a peaceful and accepting person that thinks his favorite book promotes love and another is making bombs to fulfill gods will? I man god is supposed to be all-knowing, and this was his crucial message to humanity right? Then come a monopoly manual has more clarity?

PS Plato is clearer too, made more complex then the bible.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: The monopoly manual and holy books.
Well, the monopoly manual isn't a collection of 60 books, written over the course of centuries. That tends to help things remain consistent.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Let me ask this. Have you seen 2 people read a monopoly manual and come up with entirely contradictory ways to play monopoly?No? Me neither.
But then we have holy books. Namely the qur'an and the bible. How come two people can read the qur'an and one turns to be a peaceful and accepting person that thinks his favorite book promotes love and another is making bombs to fulfill gods will? I man god is supposed to be all-knowing, and this was his crucial message to humanity right? Then come a monopoly manual has more clarity?

. But this works to explain the absurdity too. Seems a bit convoluted and inefficient and cruel to write something people argue over and murder over.

Funny you should mention Plato. He used to be my hero until I read the preface to Dawkins "Greatest Show on Earth". Dawkins blames him for how screwed up logic is today and all the political and religious utopia idealism that followed since Plato.

Plato got the "question everything" idea right. But he also postulated the idea of through that mere questioning you could come up with the "essence" of something. He had no way of understanding the importance of control groups and testing and falsification. Religious and political philosophies took that idea of "essence" and ran with it.
Wait. Wait. What about "context?"
(November 16, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Let me ask this. Have you seen 2 people read a monopoly manual and come up with entirely contradictory ways to play monopoly?No? Me neither.

. But this works to explain the absurdity too. Seems a bit convoluted and inefficient and cruel to write something people argue over and murder over.

Funny you should mention Plato. He used to be my hero until I read the preface to Dawkins "Greatest Show on Earth". Dawkins blames him for how screwed up logic is today and all the political and religious utopia idealism that followed since Plato.

Plato got the "question everything" idea right. But he also postulated the idea of through that mere questioning you could come up with the "essence" of something. He had no way of understanding the importance of control groups and testing and falsification. Religious and political philosophies took that idea of "essence" and ran with it.

Plato i think intended for his ideas to be questioned and remade and advanced and debated by others. Not tuaght as absolute authority like the church did.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
This idea also reminds me of the Bible vs. Harry Potter. Both contain magical tales, scientific impossibilities, fantastic characters, passages about good vs. evil, and commentary on morality in general. The difference is that Harry Potter unarguably points towards the power of love; the value in doing right in all situations; the moral fortitude of treating those different from you with respect and dignity; and the condemnation of murder (in all situations) and slavery. No one can read HP and come to the conclusion that JK Rowling thinks its ok to own slaves (or House Elves). Harry Potter contains an unequivocal condemnation owning other sentient, intelligent beings.

This is just one example, but there are many fictional books that contain much more meaningful moral commentaries than the bible does. Hell, even Harry's sacrifice would have been more meaningful than Jesus' Sacrifice; Harry didn't require that everyone tell him what an awesome guy he was in order to lay down his life for them. He was willing to die in order to save the lives of his enemies as well as his friends with no promises or guarantees or even a thank you.

I've learned a lot more from fictional books like this about morality than I ever did from reading scripture, and these books have the benefit of actually being fun to read.
10/10 would read again.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(November 16, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Plato got the "question everything" idea right. But he also postulated the idea of through that mere questioning you could come up with the "essence" of something. He had no way of understanding the importance of control groups and testing and falsification. Religious and political philosophies took that idea of "essence" and ran with it.
Kinda....he had -some- way of understanding the importance of those things (*though not nearly so much as we do now) in that the pre-socratics (many of which include those luminaries that we now see as the "fathers of science") both predated him and were, at the back end, contemporaneous with him and they -did- advance those points. Thales for example, put forward many a hypothesis and Democritus was so hated by Plato that he wished all his works burned, so the legend goes. Plato, it seems, was familiar with the embryo of science and simply thought that he had a better way of determining truth.

Now, as to why culture gravitated toward Plato for so long...it;s a hell of alot more convenient to think about shit than it is to run experiments or advance a hypothesis. And since, when thinking about shit, you can set the initial conditions- you can make your statement lead wherever you want it to. The political utility is to obvious to miss.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Well, that's because the writer of the monopoly manual would have been immediately fired if he was as contradictory as the writers of the holy books. The problem is, they didn't know the first thing about story telling. They created Mary Sues by the numbers and didn't even check what the others had to say about certain issues. The absence of a lead writer is very clear in the creation of the holy books. Also they mostly fail in creating suspense. Take Noah's ark for example. There's never a moment where the reader feels like, oh, will he make it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Have you actually looked at Monopoly rules lately?
http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/00009.pdf
There are numerous significant contradictions between the Speed Die Rules and the Classic Rules.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem with "Holy Places". onlinebiker 28 2346 March 8, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Best books on religion? EgoDeath 15 1752 August 29, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Gender of Holy Spirit TwoKnives99 31 4687 November 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7747 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2052 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Nobody reads science books metaphorically! ignoramus 55 13591 June 11, 2018 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  First Holy Communion (reflections) vulcanlogician 39 5713 May 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Finding the holy grail ignoramus 3 1023 May 4, 2018 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10870 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  What new books would you like in the Bible? Fake Messiah 13 2162 February 6, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: KevinM1