Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I take 45s comments Press personally OP/ED
I take 45s comments Press personally OP/ED
I have interned in TV and worked in radio. While I did not make a career of it, I was briefly for a few years involved in it during and after college.

45 isn't in any calm manner saying, "This individual reporter is inaccurate and here is why." or "This particular individual story is inaccurate and here is why."

He has carpet bombed the entire institution say minus 1 network. This isn't "telling it like it is". This is an attack on a check on power, and is not the behavior of a leader of an open society.

It is one thing for example, for Fox to go after CNN or MSNBC and vice versa. It is also one thing as viewers to blaspheme the press. But it is toxic and treasonous for a politician to attack the First Amendment which is a protection of every reporter whom are all individuals whom act as that check on power.

He is not a private citizen. He is in an office we all live under. No other president has repeatedly attacked the press to his volume at his level. This isn't about party or economics now. This is about the dangerous attack by a politician on a very vital check on power. 

This should scare even republican voters. He isn't standing  up for you either. He is merely trying to undermine our system and consolidate power. He is not politics as normal.
RE: I take 45s comments Press personally OP/ED
The media is part of the game. If they were just reporting the news, and he was attacking them, it'd be one thing. But at the national level, most of these organizations are operating with a political or economic agenda that needs to be called out, and deserves to be trashed.

And it's not just Trump. Jon Stewart trashed CNN, and people loved him for it. Michelle Wolf took it to the media at the WHCD and people applauded.

We rely on reporters/journalism to get us impartial information, and they are failing us across the board.
T.rump deserves every hot coal handed to him.
(June 30, 2018 at 12:23 pm)henryp Wrote: The media is part of the game.  If they were just reporting the news, and he was attacking them, it'd be one thing.  But at the national level, most of these organizations are operating with a political or economic agenda that needs to be called out, and deserves to be trashed.

And it's not just Trump.  Jon Stewart trashed CNN, and people loved him for it.  Michelle Wolf took it to the media at the WHCD and people applauded.  

We rely on reporters/journalism to get us impartial information, and they are failing us across the board.

Did you not read a thing I typed?

Corporate news are run by CEOs, like any other business they are out to sell adds and like most CEOs most are economic conservatives. So yea, they do have an agenda, BOTH left and right. Not my point.

It is OUR job as consumers to police each other. It is the individual journalists job to police each other. When it comes to a politician, especially in that high seat of power, they cannot nor should not vilify a check on power.

If a politician wants to address a journalist or story, they should address that individual person or story in a civil manor. 

45 is not Rush Limbaugh on the right or Bill Mahar on the left. He is not in the same role. 

Vilifying the institution of the free press is what leads to closed states neither you or I would want to live in.

The press can do a better job? Sure, but you don't advocate that through political scapegoating. But 45 isn't even trying to get the press to do a better job, he is undermining the institution for his own selfish reasons.

Imagine if Obama or Hillary had called the press the enemy of the public. I doubt his supporters would like that.

But again, I take this personally because I have worked in that field. But he attacks even war heros and his own republican intel.

He isn't trying to change things for the better, he is trying to silence any challenge to his power.
(June 30, 2018 at 11:58 am)Brian37 Wrote: I have interned in TV and worked in radio. While I did not make a career of it, I was briefly for a few years involved in it during and after college.

45 isn't in any calm manner saying, "This individual reporter is inaccurate and here is why." or "This particular individual story is inaccurate and here is why."

He has carpet bombed the entire institution say minus 1 network. This isn't "telling it like it is". This is an attack on a check on power, and is not the behavior of a leader of an open society.

It is one thing for example, for Fox to go after CNN or MSNBC and vice versa. It is also one thing as viewers to blaspheme the press. But it is toxic and treasonous for a politician to attack the First Amendment which is a protection of every reporter whom are all individuals whom act as that check on power.

He is not a private citizen. He is in an office we all live under. No other president has repeatedly attacked the press to his volume at his level. This isn't about party or economics now. This is about the dangerous attack by a politician on a very vital check on power. 

This should scare even republican voters. He isn't standing  up for you either. He is merely trying to undermine our system and consolidate power. He is not politics as normal.

There's only two ways to dump a politician while he's in office.  No one seems to be interested in either option so it seems that Trump will continue to do as he pleases.  So why worry?
(June 30, 2018 at 3:23 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: There's only two ways to dump a politician while he's in office.  No one seems to be interested in either option so it seems that Trump will continue to do as he pleases.  So why worry?

I assume the two ways you're talking about are assassination (which no one in their right mind will bring up, especially on a web forum), and impeachment (which a lot of people have been clamoring for since the election PRE-INAUGURATION; however, that doesn't mean a fucking thing when his party dominates all three houses and A) by and large, don't care, and B) has demonstrated multiple times throughout the Obama administration that they'd rather try and drive America into literal bankruptcy than do anything bipartisan).

Why worry? I could ask the same question about any number of dictators, up to and including Hitler and Stalin. Then again, since you act like a 4chan alt-right troll, I bet you think that's a feature, not a bug.

And speaking of Stalin, here's something someone in his own party said about Trump's remarks about the press:

Jeff Flake (R-AZ) Wrote:it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies. It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase "enemy of the people," that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of "annihilating such individuals" who disagreed with the supreme leader.

This alone should be a source of great shame for us in this body, especially for those of us in the president's party. For they are shameful, repulsive statements. And, of course, the president has it precisely backward -- despotism is the enemy of the people. The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him "fake news," it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press.

This was on TVTropes "Reason You Suck Speech/Real Life" page, at least until the mods decided that Trump is too big a source of flame bait to keep in examples pages unless actually necessary.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(June 30, 2018 at 3:23 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: There's only two ways to dump a politician while he's in office.  No one seems to be interested in either option so it seems that Trump will continue to do as he pleases.  So why worry?

I assume the two ways you're talking about are assassination (which no one in their right mind will bring up, especially on a web forum), and impeachment (which a lot of people have been clamoring for since the election PRE-INAUGURATION; however, that doesn't mean a fucking thing when his party dominates all three houses and A) by and large, don't care, and B) has demonstrated multiple times throughout the Obama administration that they'd rather try and drive America into literal bankruptcy than do anything bipartisan).

Why worry? I could ask the same question about any number of dictators, up to and including Hitler and Stalin. Then again, since you act like a 4chan alt-right troll, I bet you think that's a feature, not a bug.

And speaking of Stalin, here's something someone in his own party said about Trump's remarks about the press:

Jeff Flake (R-AZ) Wrote:it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies. It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase "enemy of the people," that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of "annihilating such individuals" who disagreed with the supreme leader.

This alone should be a source of great shame for us in this body, especially for those of us in the president's party. For they are shameful, repulsive statements. And, of course, the president has it precisely backward -- despotism is the enemy of the people. The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him "fake news," it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press.

This was on TVTropes "Reason You Suck Speech/Real Life" page, at least until the mods decided that Trump is too big a source of flame bait to keep in examples pages unless actually necessary.
Who cares if he's condemned, he sure doesn't care.  So the whole thing is a non-issue.  If Flake was really concerned he would have started a movement to impeach him.  Or he could have changed to a Dem.  Instead he quit.

“Talk without the support of action means nothing.” 
― DaShanne Stokes
I am looking forward to the day when rational investigative journalists expose enough criminal shit to bring Trump to the point of impeachment, shame, whatever! Trump is a tragedy! 

Oops!Already found the shame, tragedy, and whatever!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(June 30, 2018 at 7:20 pm)chimp3 Wrote: I am looking forward to the day when rational investigative journalists expose enough criminal shit to bring Trump to the point of impeachment, shame, whatever! Trump is a tragedy! 

Oops!Already found the shame, tragedy, and whatever!

Then again, at this point, I highly doubt anything short of eviscerating and sodomizing (in that order) Vince Neil on live television will mobilize enough Republicans to impeach him.

(June 30, 2018 at 6:45 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Who cares if he's condemned, he sure doesn't care.  So the whole thing is a non-issue.  If Flake was really concerned he would have started a movement to impeach him.  Or he could have changed to a Dem.  Instead he quit.

“Talk without the support of action means nothing.” 
― DaShanne Stokes
Yes, the situation is hopeless, but with your apparent line of thought being that "the people with the power to impeach him are either unable (in the Dems' case) or unwilling (in the Republicans' case) to do so, therefore, it's all good" reminds me of someone. In an interview with Truman Capote, he said "Good and bad? It’s allgood. If it happens, it’s got to be good. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be happening.It’s just the way life flows. Moves together. I move with it. I don’t question it." That man? Bobby Beausoleil of the Manson Family.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 30, 2018 at 12:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 30, 2018 at 12:23 pm)henryp Wrote: The media is part of the game.  If they were just reporting the news, and he was attacking them, it'd be one thing.  But at the national level, most of these organizations are operating with a political or economic agenda that needs to be called out, and deserves to be trashed.

And it's not just Trump.  Jon Stewart trashed CNN, and people loved him for it.  Michelle Wolf took it to the media at the WHCD and people applauded.  

Did you not read a thing I typed?

Corporate news are run by CEOs, like any other business they are out to sell adds and like most CEOs most are economic conservatives. So yea, they do have an agenda, BOTH left and right. Not my point.

It is OUR job as consumers to police each other. It is the individual journalists job to police each other. When it comes to a politician, especially in that high seat of power, they cannot nor should not vilify a check on power.
The current media is a political tool, it's not a check on power.  There's no difference between Fox News and Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  Everyone agrees with that.  But there's also no difference between MSNBC/CNN than James Carville or Paul Begala.  
There are certainly people in the industry doing good work.  But they aren't the one's we're hearing from on the national level.  

If you play politics (or play to an audience), which is what the media is doing, then you're forfeiting your 'protected' status.  It's funny Trump calls the media the biggest enemy of the American people, because how the media covered Trump is a big part of why he's president.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many voices will it take? Brian37 20 1174 July 15, 2021 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2176 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Take them to Detroit,,,,,, Or prison... Brian37 70 3226 October 15, 2020 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Spicoli "Take that Mr Hand". Brian37 0 327 October 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  And The Fascists Take One More Step Forward Minimalist 8 1195 May 21, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Any thoughts on SE Cupp's take on Hillary and Melania? brewer 8 985 March 28, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Adoption Not Abortion Crowd Should Take Notice Minimalist 46 3724 February 23, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I Think The World Would Take Us Much More Seriously On Iran Minimalist 3 598 February 1, 2018 at 5:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  This Is Why We Need A Free Press Minimalist 3 485 February 1, 2018 at 5:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Matt Lauer fired from NBC, take a guess. Brian37 8 1641 November 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie