Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secular Spirituality in Public Schools
Secular Spirituality in Public Schools
Meeting of the Addled Minds discuss the need for "Secular Spirituality" in public schools:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/01/...-education

This is fucking bullshit. If it was secular, why embellish it with the word "spirituality"? Why not call attentiveness and consciousness what they are : brain states? Why label awe, wonder, mystery, purpose other than human emotions and needs? This is a foot in the door for religious bullshit and sets a precedent for further incursions of religion into the public sector. Spirituality is milquetoast religion.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Secular Spirituality in Public Schools
Smoke and mirrors.
The article defines it thus:

Quote: is a “deep way of being, through which we feel connected to all life, with awe and reverence for the mystery of being,” Miller says.

Sounds a little on the woo side, but not particularly insidious.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Jesus started with twelve Jews.
There are plenty of secular religions, and it's a mistake to assume that just because the dominant religions in a country or time are rife with superstitious drivel, that religion requires it.

As it happens, the question you asked was answered in the article you linked. They -do- describe the sense of awe, wonder, mystery and purpose -spirituality- as human emotions and needs. It's because of this fact that spirituality is capable of effecting people, and people are capable of effecting children through it. There's no reason that it has to effect them for the worse.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Lisa Miller spends a lot of time talking about what I consider magic.

http://skepdic.com/skeptimedia/skeptimedia17.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 21, 2020 at 8:28 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Jesus started with twelve Jews.

And a centuries-old culture of disaffected people actively looking for a messiah.  The cases aren't really parallel.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 22, 2020 at 6:56 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 21, 2020 at 8:28 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Jesus started with twelve Jews.

And a centuries-old culture of disaffected people actively looking for a messiah.  The cases aren't really parallel.

Boru

If you say so.
I think people have a tendency to equate spirituality with religion.  While this certainly can be true, it isn't necessarily true.

There's a very real sense in which 'spiritual' can refer to being in a state of awe regarding the natural world (Einstein and Sagan were both proponents of this).  It can also refer to a sense of being, or belonging, or an awareness of the inner Self.  It's really one of those nebulous terms that can mean whatever a particular proponent needs it to mean. 

That being said, the term has also become a buzzword among segments of the non-religious population who reject it in toto.  As described in the article, I really don't think there's anything to get in a twist over.

Boru
"Jesus" started with 7 million romans and two million dead bodies - or so the story goes.

Anywho, I know I pimp this book alot - but consider something like crosby's religion of nature.

Quote:nature itself as the focus of religion, conceived without God, gods, or animating spirits of any kind, and argues that nature is metaphysically ultimate. He explores the concept of nature, the place of humans in nature, the responsibilities of humans to one another and to their natural environments, and offers a religious vision that grants to nature the kind of reverence, awe, love, and devotion formerly reserved for God.

It's not exactly difficult to see how this sort of religion, while fulfilling a very real emotional need in human beings, could generate positive consequences in our world.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Face coverings in public banned Foxaèr 10 714 March 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Florida humanist gives first secular invocation at Brevard County brewer 4 278 February 1, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The unvaccinated banned from public. brewer 4 446 March 26, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Harassment of Public Figures Acceptable: Your Sincere Opinion Neo-Scholastic 294 35302 September 28, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Iowa bill for bible class in public school brewer 20 3154 January 27, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Damned Schools Minimalist 0 389 November 4, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Taxpayer funding seems to be a GO for religious schools Foxaèr 7 1382 May 19, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Jewish Cemetaries Vandalized, Jewish Schools Receive Bomb Threats Secular Elf 5 991 February 28, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Return of 100% Faith Schools in the UK SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 13 2393 September 27, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck
  Another Kentucky Public Official Who Doesn't Know the Law Crossless2.0 11 2322 July 15, 2016 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Little lunch