Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope?
Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope?
What's so special about cardinals than other Catholics? Are they better Christians/ Catholics than others Catholics? How can they be better?

Why can't few Catholic women get together at a restaurant and decide who will be the Pope? And if they did what would make their Pope less valid than one chosen by cardinals?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope?
(March 13, 2019 at 12:51 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: What's so special about cardinals than other Catholics? Are they better Christians/ Catholics than others Catholics? How can they be better?

Why can't few Catholic women get together at a restaurant and decide who will be the Pope? And if they did what would make their Pope less valid than one chosen by cardinals?

I hate the word "elect" in regards to any religious club. This is not a public election like we have outside religion. It is an appointment, not a real election where the public has a say. It is more like a boardroom in business where the chairpeople select a CEO. That is not the same as the general public voting for a city council member, state Governor or federal congressperson. 

Religion of all labels worldwide stem from an age of patriarchal mentality. There are no female Imams in Iran, or female Dali Lamas in Buddhism.

Fortunately for western society, despite the historical sexist roots of antiquity, at least outside religion, women have been able to gain more rights. Women gained rights in spite of religion, not because of it.
Because they traditionally commanded economically and demographically important chunks of the body of the faith. Ultimately, the same reason that the pope, the man they elect, is the bishop of rome. Politics.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The tradition dates to the Middle Ages.  Historically, ALL the Catholics of a given area would get to vote for local priests, deacons, bishops and so on.  Sometime in the 11th century, it was decided that the best way to keep secular influences out of the church matters would be to restrict voting for Pope to the cardinals.  The idea was to prevent emperors, kings, and other assorted nasties from controlling the church by influencing the election (didn't work).

And, Brian, it IS an election, whether you're uncomfortable with the term or not. Throughout human history, the majority of elections have never been open to the general public.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 13, 2019 at 1:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The tradition dates to the Middle Ages.  Historically, ALL the Catholics of a given area would get to vote for local priests, deacons, bishops and so on.  Sometime in the 11th century, it was decided that the best way to keep secular influences out of the church matters would be to restrict voting for Pope to the cardinals.  The idea was to prevent emperors, kings, and other assorted nasties from controlling the church by influencing the election (didn't work).

And, Brian, it IS an election, whether you're uncomfortable with the term or not.

Boru

Um no, it was more to the point that the Pope was the top dog over the kings. It was not a real separation of Church and state. The kings under the Church always had to be anointed by the Church. It was still a form of theocracy.

Real secular separation didn't take hold until the age enlightenment. Even after that, even after the founders, there have been constant attempts to interject religion into common law. The Church did not come up with the concept of common law. 

"Secular" to the theist back then meant, merely means anyone who does not ascribe to their specific sect. "Secular" in the modern world means neutral, neither for or against.

Even with England, the only reason the Queen cant become a dictator is because long ago the parliament beheaded a king. But it still remains in antiquity the real power was religion. Royalty back then, saw itself as under the favor of divine power. The queen today has to ask permission to enter one of the chambers. I forgot which one. 

Certainly you can find individual rulers whom persecuted religious dissent, but ultimately long term, royal families in antiquity saw their powers as being divinely anointed.

It still has no reflection on modern western pluralism.
Because if it was up to us there would be fewer kiddie fiddlers in high office.
Dying to live, living to die.
Popes certainly wished for this to be so, that they were the undisputed "top dog"....but they kept getting rolled by kings throughout history.  Yes, the anointing was politically useful to them, pageantry provides legitimacy....but what a king would then do with that legitimacy was another thing entirely.  Yes, during that time many kings believed themselves to be appointed by god, but they didn't stop believing so when their interests and actions ran counter to those of rome.  Popes often found themselves begging the fuckers for money (or depending on a specific ruler as a patron to get into the funny hat club in the first place.)

Attempts to reform this incestuous relationship, as unfruitful as they ended up being, were still attempts at reformation. When Boru employed the term secular he wasn't referring to modern western pluralism or anything like that, only that in the relationship between the leader of a faith and the leader of a country, the latter is the secular authority.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Um no, it was more to the point that the Pope was the top dog over the kings. It was not a real separation of Church and state. The kings under the Church always had to be anointed by the Church. It was still a form of theocracy.

You need to read up on this a bit more.

Quote:Real secular separation didn't take hold until the age enlightenment. Even after that, even after the founders, there have been constant attempts to interject religion into common law. The Church did not come up with the concept of common law. 

This has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:"Secular" to the theist back then meant, merely means anyone who does not ascribe to their specific sect. "Secular" in the modern world means neutral, neither for or against.

Both of these definitions of secular are wrong.

Quote:Even with England, the only reason the Queen cant become a dictator is because long ago the parliament beheaded a king.

This has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:But it still remains in antiquity the real power was religion. Royalty back then, saw itself as under the favor of divine power.

But we aren't talking about antiquity.  What is wrong with you?

Quote:The queen today has to ask permission to enter one of the chambers. I forgot which one. 

Commons.  But that has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:Certainly you can find individual rulers whom persecuted religious dissent, but ultimately long term, royal families in antiquity saw their powers as being divinely anointed.

Why antiquity again?

Quote:It still has no reflection on modern western pluralism.

What does this have to do with the election of Popes?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
-finishing up my thought above...you have to give the funny hat club credit on this one because it was absolutely the case that secular authorities represented an erosion of the church on practical and ideological grounds.  They never managed to get rid of the problem because the corruption was also calling from inside the house, and for the secular rulers of the time, a good position within the church was a great place to house their siblings (potential rivals for their authority) and if those people thn rose through the ranks they would gain the very position of power that the church had manufactured to limit those family's influence...only, now, the power was increased because fewer people could dilute the vote.

(I'm being very general and brief, above, as well as covering a wide breadth of time and change inside and outside of the church)
(March 13, 2019 at 1:52 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: -finishing up my thought above...you have to give the funny hat club credit on this one because it was absolutely the case that secular authorities represented an erosion of the church on practical and ideological grounds.  They never managed to get rid of the problem because the corruption was also calling from inside the house, and for the secular rulers of the time, a good position within the church was a great place to house their siblings (potential rivals for their authority) and if those people thn rose through the ranks they would gain the very position of power that the church had manufactured to limit those family's influence...only, now, the power was increased because fewer people could dilute the vote.

In a minute, Brian37 will be along to tell you that's not true because of Oliver Cromwell.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1294 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3376 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2136 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2262 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3591 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9768 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4807 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172
  Catholics warring against the Pope? Fake Messiah 29 7514 November 27, 2017 at 6:52 am
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5504 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Pope Takes A Crack At Fucking Over The WLB Minimalist 29 4481 August 5, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus