Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you celebrating Christmas?
Are you celebrating Christmas?
Hey there,

Well, I just came up with this question and I think this should become a quite funny thread full of trolls and cynism. No, seriously - as most of the useres here are atheists I would presume that you are not celebrating Christmas, however it has become a tradition among atheists as well. Just for the hell of it. I personally like the presents (as anyone does), the awesome dinner and that most of my family meets together. We don't pray or anything, neither do we talk about religion in general, however everybody knows that we are basically celebrating Jesus' birthday.
I think it's ok to celebrate Christmas, even if you are an atheist. What do you think?
FSM Grin <-- HE thinks it's ok.

peace
RE: Are you celebrating Christmas?
Christmas means nothing to me apart from spending time with family members to be honest.
undefined
I live in Bangalore (80%+ Hindu), they celebrate Christmas, Halloween, Easter as well as the Hindu, Muslim and local south Indian festivals. Any excuse for a Biryani! When Christians exclaim the real meaning of Christmas, I'm never sure what that really means. The real meaning is rooted in a pagan festival from Northern Europe where people do things to excess becuase they are so miserable at not getting enough Sunlight. Sure I'm up for that who doesn't like presents and turkey anyway?
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
I do celebrate Christmas. Christmas has always meant time for family and lots and lots of presents. Big Grin
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Celebrate "christmas?" Not really. While hanging out with family and friends I never waste a minute thinking about the jesus bullshit story.
I celebrate Christmas by roasting chestnuts on a bonfire built from nativity scenes.
I celebrate Christmas as an excuse to spend time with my family and drink and eat to excess. It's a social tradition more than a religious one as far as I can see in England. The same way plenty of people still go to churches for weddings and funerals....it's a social tradition, not religious for most people.
I celebrate 'christmas' but it has no religious meaning for me, its just that this time of year is miserable and 'christmas' cheers it up.
It may as well be called winterval, saturnalia the winter sostice or one of the many other festivals that have always been celebrated at this time of year.
The seperation of religion from christmas is something that the puritans recognised which was why Cromwell, a religious nut, banned it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I have not celebrated Christmas since I was like 10 years old. I have never been much for holidays of any sort and so xmas comes and goes to me just like any other day.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I definitely celebrate christmas with my family and I love it. I make absolutely zero religious observances, nor do most of my family members. We just hang out, eat, get drunk (excluding myself) and give each other shit. It's awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relic to return to Bethlehem in time for Christmas zebo-the-fat 18 2188 December 8, 2019 at 7:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Christmas again! zebo-the-fat 14 1489 December 2, 2019 at 6:50 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 4044 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3246 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5254 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Keep Santa in Christmas Doubting Thomas 28 2937 December 7, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pope Francis backs peace efforts in Christmas Day message zebo-the-fat 63 14984 December 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Merry Christmas One and all! TrueChristian 21 4169 December 27, 2015 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  10 best things about being an atheist on Christmas Minimalist 26 5821 December 23, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Kirk Cameron-Don't drink the koolaid and think Christmas had pagan origins. downbeatplumb 122 18252 December 8, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Tonus