Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Veracity Existence
Veracity Existence
Quote:Most people are products of today’s society; living under illusions of emotion, and perspectives on ourselves fabricated by opinionated beliefs from the surrounding majority. Very few mentally capable have gained progressive contemplation and observation by shifting their state of mind to venture past the common belief of what we accept as actuality to recognize that absolute truth of reality is non-existent or incomprehensible.

I wrote this last year. Feedback, opinions, reactions?
RE: Veracity Existence
I like it.
It reminds me of something my dad said to me a long time ago when we were discussing my atheism

"6 billion people (the population of the world) can't be wrong"

I said, "Of course they can. What about when the whole world thought the earth was flat?"

I think most believers are afraid to do research.
Oh and welcome to the forum Big Grin
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
[Most] People believe what is tolerated by their society, regardless of logic, rationality, or evidence (or lack of).

I live in the US. For a country so prided on tolerance of others, Atheists are sure discriminated against.
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." - George Bush, US President.

I wish I could talk to my parents about my beliefs. Back when I was more agnostic, I told my parents I didn't fully support the church. They reacted completely irrational and I ended up being grounded. Perhaps that was a good thing, because it opened my eyes to the mentality of religious 'Godly' people and led me to being an Atheist.
That's like me. I live in the U.S. too where atheists are looked at as devil worshipers, which or course is ridiculous because we don't believe there is a devil either. So, my parents strongly disapprove of my beliefs.

If you read my thread, why religion is corrupt(on a personal note), it kind of explains the gist of my relationship with my parents when it comes to religion.

Sometimes I wish I had waited until I was older to tell them I don't believe.
What is your parents religion?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
I'm Canadian and even I'm glad that fool is gone (Bush). Let's hope Obama wasn't just saying whatever in his speeches, he was talking about some good stuff.
I too many times wish I waited to tell them. Once they knew, I instantly lost respect, trust, even love. My dad's sometimes near violent fits with me over religion caused me a lot of desensitisation.

My parents are Christian (non-denominational). They even attest to not being 'religious', but instead having only 'faith'. This is partly why I expected them to have a tolerant reaction. Faith could be believing in a higher power, however, once you tack on messiahs, miracles, virgin births, talking snakes, and all the other bells and whistles as being mandatory for the acceptance into heaven, it becomes religion.

I believe one of the reasons religion is corrupt is: people pray and believe God is telling them to do something, but because there is no God, it only leaves your own thoughts to account for. Because the only reason these people are good in the first place is to save themselves from burning in hell for all eternity, they are naturally selfish people. Selfish people hearing their own selfish subconscious bidding them to do their own selfish deeds.
I like his social views but not his views on taxes and such.

You have to give Bush some credit though. 9/11 happened just 9 months after he took office. I say he handled it pretty well. But his view on atheists disgusts me. This country is supposed to have freedom of religion, and that means we can choose to have no religion. To say atheists shouldn't be citizens is just plain unconstitutional.
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
It seems to me this country is against people who don't believe in a god. But they are tolerant of any religion, including Buddhism, which has no god.
If Atheism had something supernatural or unprovable at its core, we would be completely tolerated.
I know how you feel matt.

And you make a good point. To me religious people are selfish in another way too.

It's like they think they are so special that the only explanation for the human race is an all-powerful, supernatural being created them in his own self image. That, to me, shows selfishness
religion is overrated
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
Exactly. Everyone wants to think they are special so they invent or adopt the belief that there is an imaginary being who created the world just for them.
Although this is a paradox, because if everyone is a super hero and can fly, then nobody is a super hero. "If everyone is special, no one is."

[Image: atheism_motivational_poster_2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9942 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6177 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 48408 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15608 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 24141 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 17194 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78156 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4613 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 8120 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Evidence for the existence of God Yadayadayada 145 19209 January 21, 2017 at 9:03 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb