Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Sabotaging Behavior
Self Sabotaging Behavior
Ever experienced it?

I think I've experienced it for years........ I look at my real life problems I consider impossible to solve or pointless solving, and I instead just create my own problems to work on because I like solving things and I get extremely bored if I don't have any challenging ( and solvable) problems to work on...

Another thing that goes hand in hand may be learned helplessness....

Anyway, any of this sound familiar, to anyone?
RE: Self Sabotaging Behavior
I've always had a problem with homework when I was in school and now.
Even when it's something I enjoy doing while I'm doing it, I always seem to shy away from being productive - for example, when I have an important project or the book I'm writing, it's immensely difficult for me to get myself to start working on it like I have some deep-seated aversion to it.

I'm not even sure why this happens - it's like I have 'productivity ADD'. I'm trying to write a book right now, for example, but it's difficult to sit down and begin work on it without allowing myself to become distracted. This has caused me to allow my own grades to suffer regardless of how much I may want or even need to get things done.

I've tried everything to counter this and it doesn't seem to matter if it's something I'm interested in doing or not.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I can relate to that too.
DoubtVsFaith Wrote:Ever experienced it?

I think I've experienced it for years........ I look at my real life problems I consider impossible to solve or pointless solving, and I instead just create my own problems to work on because I like solving things and I get extremely bored if I don't have any challenging ( and solvable) problems to work on...

Another thing that goes hand in hand may be learned helplessness....

Anyway, any of this sound familiar, to anyone?

I have been, on the odd occasion, my own worst enemy

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I have experienced self-sabotaging behavior through someone with whom I am closely associated who suffers from PTSD. In short, I haven't really caught myself doing it, but he does it like crazy. It's really common for combat vets to do that. Anyway, at least you recognize it, so you may have some control over it in the future. Good luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 754 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 9073 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32953 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1969 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The-Boring-Self-Absorbed-Rambely-Bullshit-Thread Edwardo Piet 38 5432 April 19, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Your self in real life vs on AF Catholic_Lady 94 12776 February 5, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"? Edwardo Piet 42 3079 October 13, 2015 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Self-racism? Dystopia 69 12080 February 9, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior Jenny A 8 1995 December 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: abaris
  What advice would you give to your younger self? Rayaan 87 14365 July 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat