Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to deal with crooked people
How to deal with crooked people
I am looking for a car - a body, actually -- to replace the one my SO has been driving the past few winters. It' s beginning to rust out - but the drive train is awesome. The engine goes 6000 miles between oil changes, and uses no oil.

So, I found a suitable candidate on Craigslist - and texted back and forth with the owner several times. According to this person, the undercarriage is in good condition.

Liar.

I go to check it out ( owner not present) and I use an inspection mirror to check out the underbody. The first place I look - the trailing limit arm mounts - are not even connected to the body - as the rust has eaten the whole section of the body.

On these cars - when this happens, it allows the rear wheel to arc on the end of the suspension arms. This will destroy a tire in a shockingly short distance. At BEST you might go 50 miles before the tire is torn from the rim.

There is no fix. The labor costs would far exceed the worth of the car.

I know they lied. It had a different brand tire on that wheel. They might have changed it more than once. 

This person KNOWS the vehicle is junk. They KNOW it can't be fixed - but the ad says it needs the brakes bled, and exhaust fixed --- as if this thing will ever be driven again. They' re hoping to off it on a sucker who doesn't know any better.

How would you deal with this sort of human garbage?
RE: How to deal with crooked people
publicly comment on their adds with a review, otherwise, on to the next one.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I usually stake them to an anthill or feed them to Brian's cat.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Definitely don't elect them to the presidency.
Would recommend staying away from Craigslist as much as possible. I use it on a very rare occasion, and mostly if I want to give something away. Too many people on that site just looking to exploit someone/something. About a year ago I was giving away a dog kennel since I put in a fence and didn't need it anymore. Within about an hour, I had at least 70 people volunteer to take it. Of course there were various scenarios people came up with as well to get it Like wanting me to hold it 30 days until they could get it, or some other silliness. With all those people, one guy bothered to tell me about his dog, why he needed it, and even shared a photo of his doggy. Invited him over the next day and gave it to him. Point is, gotta sort through too many crooks/scam artists to get to the people who are sincere.

IMO, the best way to go about getting a decent car is to check the auto trader sites that include the Carfax. You can usually view the accident history and service records right online. No accidents and regular service, then worth checking out the car. I know you said you just want a body, but may be more cost effective just to trade up. Also, prime season for buying used cars will be in about another month or two because of taxes, so lots will usually be more willing to deal. Also good to hit them at the end of the month. Car dealer associates usually have quotas, so if the month is about over you many have someone desperate to sell so they can get a bonus.

If all else fells, GTA. Big Grin
I' ve done very well on Craigslist - in exactly the same way I do well at garage sales ---

I sort through the shit to find the gems.

I just sold a mint condition 93 Saturn wagon for $2500. I paid $400 - and spent under $100 fixing the problem ( no oil pressure)

My buddy who bought it is giddy like a schoolgirl driving it. It drives like a new car.

But - I know these cars inside out - so I know the good from the bad.
(January 18, 2019 at 2:00 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: I' ve done very well on Craigslist - in exactly the same way I do well at garage sales ---

I sort through the shit to find the gems.

I just sold a mint condition 93 Saturn wagon for $2500. I paid $400 - and spent under $100 fixing the problem ( no oil pressure)

My buddy who bought it is giddy like a schoolgirl driving it. It drives like a new car.

But - I know these cars inside out - so I know the good from the bad.

Of course, but the whole sorting through the nuts is just part of Craigslist.
The best way to deal with crooked people is to not deal with crooked people.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 18, 2019 at 8:40 am)onlinebiker Wrote: How would you deal with this sort of human garbage?

Beyond being an atheist, I remain a humanist. Human garbage? What the fuck you are talking about?
(January 18, 2019 at 4:28 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(January 18, 2019 at 8:40 am)onlinebiker Wrote: How would you deal with this sort of human garbage?

Beyond being an atheist, I remain a humanist. Human garbage? What the fuck you are talking about?

Human garbage = those that wiillfully screw other people for profiit - aka lowlife thieves....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deal alert -- just bought The God Delusion for $3.73 Jehanne 5 741 March 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Peterkin
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1007 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  a New Way to Deal with an Old Problem Rhondazvous 9 1342 June 13, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How would you deal with an annoying person? Axis 29 2904 February 23, 2018 at 2:21 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  How to deal with a crack head TaraJo 37 5759 August 16, 2017 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5652 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  How do you deal with anger? Macoleco 30 7257 June 25, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  How to deal with a difficult sister who thinks the world revolves around her NuclearEnergy 16 4793 June 6, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Seriously, here's my deal. Foxaèr 30 4124 May 9, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How do you deal with death? rado84 9 2133 August 30, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: robvalue