Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with death?
How do you deal with death?
I'm not talking about the religious crap but about how do you personally deal with death? What do you do to distract yourselves from thinking about death? I tried playing games and it worked for a while but not for long enough. I tried watching some of my favorite tv shows but that didn't help at all. And whatever I look at, I see and remember her.

Some of you or may be all of you will laugh but right now I don't care. Today my female cat died on the table and it's hard to hold my tears back. I tell myself "men don't cry" but that thought doesn't help at all.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: How do you deal with death?
(August 29, 2015 at 3:38 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: I'm not talking about the religious crap but about how do you personally deal with death? What do you do to distract yourselves from thinking about death? I tried playing games and it worked for a while but not for long enough. I tried watching some of my favorite tv shows but that didn't help at all. And whatever I look at, I see and remember her.

Some of you or may be all of you will laugh but right now I don't care. Today my female cat died on the table and it's hard to hold my tears back. I tell myself "men don't cry" but that thought doesn't help at all.

Sorry to hear you lost your good friend, it's hard I know I've buried several and have one who has cancer and probably want be with us by the end of the year. I've cried over each one and don't see that changing, losing one you love be it human or animal is hard and crying is a therapy, it allows you to release painful emotions that only do harm bottled up, so cry all you need to, I know it's helped me.

Hang in there, time will heal and always remember your friend,

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I'm sorry to hear it ABG. That's awful Undecided
I honestly don't know.
I am sorry for your loss.

Perhaps it will help to remember that your cat is not suffering now.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(August 29, 2015 at 3:51 pm)Godschild Wrote: Sorry to hear you lost your good friend, it's hard I know I've buried several and have one who has cancer and probably want be with us by the end of the year. I've cried over each one and don't see that changing, losing one you love be it human or animal is hard and crying is a therapy, it allows you to release painful emotions that only do harm bottled up, so cry all you need to, I know it's helped me.

Hang in there, time will heal and always remember your friend,

GC
Several? How do you endure that? 10 years ago when our Doberman died it was hard and now it's even harder than ever. I couldn't stand another loss whether it's 10 years from now or much later.
My four-legged friend had a monstrous 4 inch tumor which the vets removed from her stomach but her organism didn't endure the operation. [Image: icon_cry.gif]

I wish I could wish recovery for your friend but I know cancer doesn't forgive, so take my advice and enjoy every minute and every second with him/her. I didn't do that with my pet because she was in pain and I didn't want to bother her but now I see it was a mistake and I regret I didn't hug her for one last time. Now, looking at her body I wish I could turn back time and spend with her every possible second.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(August 29, 2015 at 3:38 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: I'm not talking about the religious crap but about how do you personally deal with death? What do you do to distract yourselves from thinking about death? I tried playing games and it worked for a while but not for long enough. I tried watching some of my favorite tv shows but that didn't help at all. And whatever I look at, I see and remember her.

I'm sorry about your loss. I do cry when death touches my family and friends, and there's no shame in it.

Pet death > Human death

I feel you brother.Just cry it out. *hug*
[Image: JYPDGmUjkAKze.gif]
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(August 29, 2015 at 3:38 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: What do you do to distract yourselves from thinking about death?

I think of the boredom that would come with eternal life.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
The way I look at someone's life, if they are dreading being dead, they must be having a pretty good time in general. It's when you get more scared of living that you have to worry. I wish I was was dreading it like I used to.

The loss of loved ones is much harder. There is no easy way, and crying is perfectly natural. I bawl my eyes out every time we lose a pet. I allow the grief to overcome me, I don't stifle it. I let it all out. I think of the wonderful times I've had with the pet, and it's a combination of fond love and hopeless loss. But in time, my emotions stablisise. I still miss them like crazy, but instead I think of them living on in our memory. I talk about them like they are still with us in spirit, because metaphorically they are. I rejoice in the lovely times we had, and if I get overcome again (which does happen) I have a cry and let it all out once more. Trying to stifle the grief is very unhealthy I think. Cry, and talk to people. Focus on the happy memories Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deal alert -- just bought The God Delusion for $3.73 Jehanne 5 729 March 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Peterkin
  How to deal with crooked people onlinebiker 54 7426 January 22, 2019 at 3:19 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  a New Way to Deal with an Old Problem Rhondazvous 9 1333 June 13, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How would you deal with an annoying person? Axis 29 2898 February 23, 2018 at 2:21 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  How to deal with a crack head TaraJo 37 5731 August 16, 2017 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5642 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  How do you deal with anger? Macoleco 30 7219 June 25, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  How to deal with a difficult sister who thinks the world revolves around her NuclearEnergy 16 4778 June 6, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Seriously, here's my deal. Foxaèr 30 4101 May 9, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How do you feel about the death penalty? Joods 50 5069 February 12, 2016 at 7:00 am
Last Post: Eclipse