Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If it wasn't for religion
If it wasn't for religion
I see quite a lot more people quitting life after seeing the misery of it if it wasn't for religion . Being born in post collapse ex soviet state(Imagine the collapse of UK or US), I think a lot of poor people getting disappointed in life would just quit it if it wasn't for invisible happy land and painful land waiting for them.
RE: If it wasn't for religion
(January 20, 2019 at 1:50 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: I see quite a lot more people quitting life after seeing the misery of it if it wasn't for religion . Being born in post collapse ex soviet state(Imagine the collapse of UK or US), I think a lot of poor people getting disappointed in life would just quit it if it wasn't for invisible happy land and painful land waiting for them.

Belief isn't a class issue. Most humans worldwide have a religion, even the powerful.

I would say however, the more economically stable a country is in the west, the less religious the population tends to be.
(January 20, 2019 at 1:50 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: I see quite a lot more people quitting life after seeing the misery of it if it wasn't for religion . Being born in post collapse ex soviet state(Imagine the collapse of UK or US), I think a lot of poor people getting disappointed in life would just quit it if it wasn't for invisible happy land and painful land waiting for them.

I have a good friend who acknowledges that, logically, God's existence seems unlikely. But on an emotional level, she makes a conscious choice to believe because she's been through some truly traumatic and awful events and she can't live in a world where those things happened to her without reason. So I see some truth to your statement.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(January 20, 2019 at 4:37 pm)Aegon Wrote: But on an emotional level, she makes a conscious choice to believe because she's been through some truly traumatic and awful events and she can't live in a world where those things happened to her without reason.

I prefer to think that my bad experiences happened for no good reasons at all -- that things didn't have to go that way. If such occurrences were caused by me or other people, it was usually because we weren't being honest enough.
It's not so much relegion in and of itself, as it is the cunning, unprincipiled swine who will twist and manipulate the guarded beliefs of the masses to further their own nefarious gains.
Religion is poison.
A poison of the mind that leads only to delusion.

When faced with a life that contains horrible circumstances, the human mind copes with it as best it can or it breaks.

Religion tries to tell you that a god created the horrible circumstances in your life and if you don't worship him, then he'll make it worse for you after you die.

When you actually need help, it is a human being that helps you.
It's not a religion that comes to your aid. It's the empathy and compassion of the evolved man & woman.

If it wasn't for religion, this world would be a much better place.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result

I think this is probably true, especially since many of the Western religions characterize suicide as a mortal sin.  This has the net effect of forcing people to wallow in unimaginable misery in the hope of heaven, as they are prevented from easing their own suffering by the fear of hell (the Hindu caste system does much the same thing).

Thank you, religion.  Thank you so bloody much.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 20, 2019 at 6:45 pm)Rahn127 Wrote: Religion is poison.

When faced with a life that contains horrible circumstances, the human mind copes with it as best it can or it breaks.

Religion tries to tell you that a god created the horrible circumstances in your life and if you don't worship him, then he'll make it worse for you after you die.

It's not a religion that comes to your aid. It's the empathy and compassion of the evolved man & woman.

If the horrible circumstances in your life were directly caused by the actions of other human beings, to tell someone who believes that others will help them, an expected answer is: "Yeah, they did a whole lot to help back then..." There are times where nobody can help you but yourself. And in those times, you need to be mentally strong. If believing in God allows somebody to help themselves out of a situation or a mindset, then it doesn't sound like poison to me...
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(January 20, 2019 at 7:01 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(January 20, 2019 at 6:45 pm)Rahn127 Wrote: Religion is poison.

If the horrible circumstances in your life were directly caused by the actions of other human beings, to tell someone who believes that others will help them, an expected answer is: "Yeah, they did a whole lot to help back then..." There are times where nobody can help you but yourself. And in those times, you need to be mentally strong. If believing in God allows somebody to help themselves out of a situation or a mindset, then it doesn't sound like poison to me...

So which part of this isn't poison ?

Believing that a god watched you as those other humans directly caused you pain and did NOTHING
Believing that those humans who directly caused you pain did it as part of god's plan. Meaning god sent them to hurt you INTENTIONALLY as part of a plan.

Given those two, your mind thinks the BEST option is to turn to this god for help ?

Really ?
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
If it weren't for religion..then humanity would lose a competent organizational tool.  Beyond that, I don't know what can or could be said on the subject of the question.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4198 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16545 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Even the bible says Jesus wasn't the savior! Jextin 7 2830 March 25, 2013 at 1:57 am
Last Post: NomenMihiNon
  Would you be an atheist if science and reason wasn't supportive of atheism? Vincenzo Vinny G. 151 62567 December 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Samson1
  [split] Hitler had ulterior motives and really wasn't a Christian after all twocompulsive 44 16664 June 28, 2011 at 11:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger