Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PTSD caused by religion
PTSD caused by religion
Do you know a case of someone suffering of PTSD because of religion, even after leaving said religion and having no doubt that there is no Hell or that any other bullshit is bullshit? What if the simple view of a cross or a burqa are triggers? How do they handle it?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: PTSD caused by religion
(January 28, 2019 at 1:45 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Do you know a case of someone suffering of PTSD because of religion, even after leaving said religion and having no doubt that there is no Hell or that any other bullshit is bullshit? What if the simple view of a cross or a burqa are triggers? How do they handle it?

PTSD is a natural psychological disorder, but yea if the person who suffers from it has been deeply indoctrinated in religion, religion can certainly make the PTSD worse.
(January 28, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 28, 2019 at 1:45 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Do you know a case of someone suffering of PTSD because of religion, even after leaving said religion and having no doubt that there is no Hell or that any other bullshit is bullshit? What if the simple view of a cross or a burqa are triggers? How do they handle it?

PTSD is a natural psychological disorder, but yea if the person who suffers from it has been deeply indoctrinated in religion, religion can certainly make the PTSD worse.

PTSD stands for posttraumatic stress disorder, which is caused by a trauma.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 28, 2019 at 1:58 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 28, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote: PTSD is a natural psychological disorder, but yea if the person who suffers from it has been deeply indoctrinated in religion, religion can certainly make the PTSD worse.

Yes, I know that.

But if the person who suffers from it, is not educated in in the causes of it, the psychology or neurology of it, and all they are feed prior to suffering that trauma leading to it, are old mythology, fictional demons, fictional hells, devils, Satan, ect ect, that lack of knowledge of reality and acceptance of fiction can lead them to horrible conclusions and even destructive actions based on those beliefs.

Andrea Yates is a perfect example of mental illness, in her case it was postpartum depression, that lead her to murder her kids. Prior to her murdering her kids, all she was ever feed was the idea that hell existed, and if your kids acted out and you could not control them, you failed as a parent, and evil were possessing them, and the only way you could save them was to kill them.  Theism unfortunately can lead the mentally ill to commit horrible acts, just like theism can lead humans to justify bigotry and oppression. Mental illness combined with religion can be just as harmful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

Now in theory if you want me to be fair.

Lets say for example, two atheist parents raise their kid to say religion should be outlawed, and every theist arrested, and at the same time they abuse that kid, that kid is very likely if they have mental illness, bi polar, or PTSD, if triggered by a theist, could as easily get violent with a theist.

The point is education of mental illness is the key. Mental illness knows no label, and effects everyone of every class, race, nationality, religion and political view.

The natural sciences in psychiatry and psychology and neurology are the way to properly diagnose mental illness, regardless of label.
(January 28, 2019 at 2:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 28, 2019 at 1:58 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: PTSD stands for posttraumatic stress disorder, which is caused by a trauma.

Yes, I know that.

But if the person who suffers from it, is not educated in in the causes of it, the psychology or neurology of it, and all they are feed prior to suffering that trauma leading to it, are old mythology, fictional demons, fictional hells, devils, Satan, ect ect, that lack of knowledge of reality and acceptance of fiction can lead them to horrible conclusions and even destructive actions based on those beliefs.

Andrea Yates is a perfect example of mental illness, in her case it was postpartum depression, that lead her to murder her kids. Prior to her murdering her kids, all she was ever feed was the idea that hell existed, and if your kids acted out and you could not control them, you failed as a parent, and evil were possessing them, and the only way you could save them was to kill them.  Theism unfortunately can lead the mentally ill to commit horrible acts, just like theism can lead humans to justify bigotry and oppression. Mental illness combined with religion can be just as harmful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

Now in theory if you want me to be fair.

Lets say for example, two atheist parents raise their kid to say religion should be outlawed, and every theist arrested, and at the same time they abuse that kid, that kid is very likely if they have mental illness, bi polar, or PTSD, if triggered by a theist, could as easily get violent with a theist.

The point is education of mental illness is the key. Mental illness knows no label, and effects everyone of every class, race, nationality, religion and political view.

The natural sciences in psychiatry and psychology and neurology are the way to properly diagnose mental illness, regardless of label.

Thank you for your answer. And I also agree that atheists can be extremists as well, Is just that it happens a lot less often and causes terrorism even more rarely. Also, I am well aware that if you have PTSD prior, religion might make it worse, but I was referring to situations in which the disorder is directly caused by religion.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 28, 2019 at 1:58 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 28, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote: PTSD is a natural psychological disorder, but yea if the person who suffers from it has been deeply indoctrinated in religion, religion can certainly make the PTSD worse.

Google "Complex PTSD". It does not take a major trauma to manifest PTSD. I can be from a pervasive pattern of psychological or emotional abuse, amongst other things.
PTSD??

not really.

Stockholm Syndrome?

Quite possible.
(January 28, 2019 at 3:41 pm)Cathooloo Wrote:
(January 28, 2019 at 1:58 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: PTSD stands for posttraumatic stress disorder, which is caused by a trauma.

Google "Complex PTSD".  It does not take a major trauma to manifest PTSD.  I can be from a pervasive pattern of psychological or emotional abuse, amongst other things.

Good point. While many in the public often think of PTSD as solely being seeing violence, be it war or crime, it can also be from verbal/emotional  abuse too.
I don't know if you could call it PTSD, but during my Catholic upbringing I was subjected to an almost continual existence of fear, anxiety, depression and guilt. I did not feel truly liberated until I was in my early 30's and realized I was an atheist. Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Ironically there are a lot of ptsd support offer for those leaving the lgbtq community inside and outside the church.

I also know Mormons and Scientologists also have a large support system for people leaving them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19757 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49198 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5177 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused