Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cardinal George Pell.
Cardinal George Pell.
Yesterday came the news that Australia's most senior Cathoilc  cleric, Cardinal George Pell, has been convicted of child sex abuse.

IN my family, he has long been known as "that slimy George Pell".

He has been convicted for his own crimes, not for any responsibility in covering up the abuse in Australia, in which he was involved up to his neck.

Seems he is only 77. I thought he was  in his 80's. Perhaps he may spend some time in prison. Couldn't careless how long; his life in the Church is over. I expect him to be defrocked as a cardinal, but not as a priest..He will be tucked away some place quiet.

MY satisfaction is the precedent. I hope he is only one of many to come.

I doubt non Catholics  are aware the amount of damage the child sex scandal has caused the Church. It seems thousands have left already. Church numbers have been in decline for decades, except in some developing nations, where numbers have actually increased.

The growth of Catholicism and other Christian  religions in South America and sub Saharan Africa give a false impression of world wide christianity, imo.

FROM THE NEWS:

A high-ranking Catholic official has been convicted of child sex abuse and is due to be sentenced Wednesday. Australian Cardinal George Pell, a top adviser to Pope Francis who was in charge of Vatican finances until he was accused, was found guilty of five charges of "historical child sexual offenses" that go back decades.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/25/698023578...-sex-abuse
RE: Cardinal George Pell.
And people say there's nothing good reported in the news.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Interesting, isn't it? Was the High Sparrow's Pope's summit to deal with child abuse or Pell's conviction?
To be somewhat fair, It is a myth that only Catholic institution's powers have a patent on bad behavior. Hiding things like child abuse, and rape are unfortunately worldwide in every nation to grater or lesser degrees. 

Humans in general look to religion for a source of leadership and those respective groups form social structures, and long term nobody wants to think of those above them as wrong or bad. 

The truth is with all crimes, is that there is no magic book, or holy person that causes an individual to do good or bad. 

But it can take a false belief that those above you can't do anything wrong, to cause the group to want to ignore or hide the behavior.

But it certainly is good news, regardless of label, when someone like this is taken off the streets.
(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: To be somewhat fair, It is a myth that only Catholic institution's powers have a patent on bad behavior. Hiding things like child abuse, and rape are unfortunately worldwide in every nation to grater or lesser degrees.

What are you talking about? You mean because Trump is accused of raping children?

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Humans in general look to religion for a source of leadership and those respective groups form social structures, and long term nobody wants to think of those above them as wrong or bad.

Problem is that those same Catholic assholes are also railing against gay people, calling them filthy and not allowing them basic human rights because they see themselves as some sort of moral authority.

People like Oliver Sacks and Alan Turing who have done so much good for this world, far more than any Pope, are deemed as monsters by these assholes.

While also Pope defended this asshole till the end.

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The truth is with all crimes, is that there is no magic book, or holy person that causes an individual to do good or bad.

There are actually magic books like Bible and Koran that order people to do bad things like kill people of other religions, kill gays etc. and people have been known to act on them.

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But it can take a false belief that those above you can't do anything wrong, to cause the group to want to ignore or hide the behavior.

Yes one of the reasons this still goes on is because people are thought to see priests as some sort of humans that are better and holier than themselves, and if they do bad the accusers must be working with communists because this can't never be true.

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But it certainly is good news, regardless of label, when someone like this is taken off the streets.

Actually he's not taken off the streets. George Pell, walked free from court after being convicted of pedophilia. Anyone else would be jailed immediately.

We've all known about this for months and yet, Pell walked out of court, got into a car & drove away.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I'm wondering what the evidence against George Pell actually was.
Surely he couldn't be convicted on one man's testimony alone after thirty years.
I'm not on George Pell's side, if there was irrefutable evidence I would be all for him getting a bullet to the head straight after the guilty verdict.
But what if he's innocent?
I've mixed with the lower end of humanity and met many people who would convincingly tell lies for money or pity or just to make excuses for the fuckups in their life.

(March 1, 2019 at 5:22 am)Little lunch Wrote: I'm wondering what the evidence against George Pell actually was.
Surely he couldn't be convicted on one man's testimony alone after thirty years.
I'm not on George Pell's side, if there was irrefutable evidence I would be all for him getting a bullet to the head straight after the guilty verdict.
I've mixed with the lower end of humanity and met many people who would convincingly tell lies for money or pity or just to make excuses for the fuckups in their life.

I was wondering the same thing, only one person has actually claimed Pell ever abused him, and I'm not aware of any evidence beyond this persons testimony. 

I'm curious everyone else knows what other evidence was used in the case, because I couldn't find any.
(March 1, 2019 at 6:50 am)Acrobat Wrote:
(March 1, 2019 at 5:22 am)Little lunch Wrote: I'm wondering what the evidence against George Pell actually was.

I was wondering the same thing, only one person has actually claimed Pell ever abused him, and I'm not aware of any evidence beyond this persons testimony. 

I'm curious everyone else knows what other evidence was used in the case, because I couldn't find any.

There were two accusers but one died.

You wont find much of any other evidence because whatever evidence was laid before the jury is not public yet.
(March 1, 2019 at 7:20 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(March 1, 2019 at 6:50 am)Acrobat Wrote: I was wondering the same thing, only one person has actually claimed Pell ever abused him, and I'm not aware of any evidence beyond this persons testimony. 

You wont find much of any other evidence because whatever evidence was laid before the jury is not public yet.

It seems the second accuser passed a way a few years ago, and his own mother indicated that he had denied ever being absused in two occasions.

It’s also hard to imagine what sort actual evidence they could possibly have from an incident that happened so long ago, beyond the single testimony of one living supposed victim.

(March 1, 2019 at 7:20 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(March 1, 2019 at 6:50 am)Acrobat Wrote: I was wondering the same thing, only one person has actually claimed Pell ever abused him, and I'm not aware of any evidence beyond this persons testimony. 

It seems the second accuser passed a way a few years ago, and his own mother indicated that he had denied ever being absused in two occasions.

It’s also hard to imagine what sort actual evidence they could possibly have from an incident that happened so long ago, beyond the single testimony of one living supposed victim.
(February 27, 2019 at 2:03 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: To be somewhat fair, It is a myth that only Catholic institution's powers have a patent on bad behavior. Hiding things like child abuse, and rape are unfortunately worldwide in every nation to grater or lesser degrees.

What are you talking about? You mean because Trump is accused of raping children?

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Humans in general look to religion for a source of leadership and those respective groups form social structures, and long term nobody wants to think of those above them as wrong or bad.

Problem is that those same Catholic assholes are also railing against gay people, calling them filthy and not allowing them basic human rights because they see themselves as some sort of moral authority.

People like Oliver Sacks and Alan Turing who have done so much good for this world, far more than any Pope, are deemed as monsters by these assholes.

While also Pope defended this asshole till the end.

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The truth is with all crimes, is that there is no magic book, or holy person that causes an individual to do good or bad.

There are actually magic books like Bible and Koran that order people to do bad things like kill people of other religions, kill gays etc. and people have been known to act on them.

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But it can take a false belief that those above you can't do anything wrong, to cause the group to want to ignore or hide the behavior.

Yes one of the reasons this still goes on is because people are thought to see priests as some sort of humans that are better and holier than themselves, and if they do bad the accusers must be working with communists because this can't never be true.

(February 26, 2019 at 6:14 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But it certainly is good news, regardless of label, when someone like this is taken off the streets.

Actually he's not taken off the streets. George Pell, walked free from court after being convicted of pedophilia. Anyone else would be jailed immediately.

We've all known about this for months and yet, Pell walked out of court, got into a car & drove away.

Ok, I stand corrected. The fucker should be in prison.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cardinal George Pell has conviction overturned Agnostico 70 4353 May 9, 2020 at 8:24 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Amazing interview with Richard Dawkins and George Coyne Freedom of thought 2 1781 April 21, 2014 at 4:56 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Pope candidate Cardinal Turkson: Pedophilia is a white thing Ziploc Surprise 28 10684 March 24, 2013 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  George Michael slams 'bastard' Christian group orogenicman 11 6116 January 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Video George Carlin - Religion Is Bullshit Judas BentHer 20 6670 August 5, 2011 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Cardinal Pell;my irony meter broke Oldandeasilyconfused 11 3630 May 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Cardinal Murphy O'Connor DaveP 0 1221 March 6, 2009 at 7:31 am
Last Post: DaveP
  George Carlin quote in TGD. Edwardo Piet 0 2257 October 29, 2008 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet