Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] You should FEEL BAD because you disagree with me
You should FEEL BAD because you disagree with me
Suppose you're talking about some philosophical point. Maybe the definition of a word, or the quality of some piece of evidence. 

I can understand debating that more or less endlessly. People disagree, and this is good, because our thinking can only progress through discussion and dialectic. 

However, some people join those discussions solely trying to make other people feel bad. They type things without arguments, for the sole purpose of hurting someone else's feelings. 

I have never understood this.

For those on the receiving end: has this ever changed your mind? 

For those who do it: what is your goal?
RE: You should FEEL BAD because you disagree with me
Are you the one who decides what is, and is not, a viable argument?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Some points of view are so ridiculous that they don't deserve any type of serious attention.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
If my opinion hurts your feelings, try thicker skin.

Maybe take a ride on the waaambulance to the doctor. Ask your doctor about Fukitol.
(March 2, 2019 at 10:58 pm)wyzas Wrote: Are you the one who decides what is, and is not, a viable argument?

I'm not talking about arguments. I'm talking about non-arguments.

For example, in August of 2014 typhoon rains caused mudslides in my area. 73 people were killed overnight and a rescue worker died the next day. A friend of mine was trapped and traumatized and has never been the same since.

A young woman who disagreed with me about the value of religion took this as an opportunity to joke. She said, among other things, that the god I believe in [though I don't believe in god] was incompetent because he should have killed me as well.

Do you think this is a viable argument?
(March 3, 2019 at 12:26 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(March 2, 2019 at 10:58 pm)wyzas Wrote: Are you the one who decides what is, and is not, a viable argument?

I'm not talking about arguments. I'm talking about non-arguments.

For example, in August of 2014 typhoon rains caused mudslides in my area. 73 people were killed overnight and a rescue worker died the next day. A friend of mine was trapped and traumatized and has never been the same since.

A young woman who disagreed with me about the value of religion took this as an opportunity to joke. She said, among other things, that the god I believe in [though I don't believe in god] was incompetent because he should have killed me as well.

Do you think this is a viable argument?

I don't think anyone would suggest telling someone they should've died is a viable argument.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(March 3, 2019 at 4:31 am)PRJA93 Wrote: I don't think anyone would suggest telling someone they should've died is a viable argument.

I'm sorry this seems not to have been clear.

I am not saying that anyone thought it was a viable argument. The person who wrote it did not think it was a viable argument.

I am not talking about arguments. 

The person who wrote that wanted to hurt someone. They wanted to make another person feel bad, because of a disagreement about sociology. 

There are people on this site who do similar things. Why?
(March 3, 2019 at 4:53 am)Belaqua Wrote: I'm sorry this seems not to have been clear.

I am not saying that anyone thought it was a viable argument. The person who wrote it did not think it was a viable argument.

But you literally just asked, "Do you think this is a viable argument?"

So, you are talking about arguments, or you are not?

(March 3, 2019 at 4:53 am)Belaqua Wrote: The person who wrote that wanted to hurt someone. They wanted to make another person feel bad, because of a disagreement about sociology. 

I won't pretend to know the intentions of the person who said such a thing, but if they weren't trying to hurt someone they were at the very least very insensitive. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone on here wish death on someone, but I suppose some arguments/disagreements do get heated.
(March 3, 2019 at 4:53 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(March 3, 2019 at 4:31 am)PRJA93 Wrote: I don't think anyone would suggest telling someone they should've died is a viable argument.

I'm sorry this seems not to have been clear.

The person who wrote that wanted to hurt someone. They wanted to make another person feel bad, because of a disagreement about sociology. 

Ask them.
Eg, That's not a viable argument. It seems like you're just saying that to make me feel bad and I don't understand why.

If they reply with another hurtful and nonviable statement, then you will look like an honest person and they will look like an arsehole.
To be honest, starting a thread like this makes you seem like a whiner, whether you're right or wrong.

Of course, a better option would be to ignore them, even pity them and to have more of a sense of your own worth.
I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but it's the realisation I came to after feeling the same way myself. :-)

(March 3, 2019 at 5:27 am)Little lunch Wrote: To be honest, starting a thread like this makes you seem like a whiner, whether you're right or wrong.

It's just very common for people to want to be hurtful. I don't understand why, and I thought it was a reasonable topic. 

I was born in America but I haven't lived there for a very long time. Since I have been gone, I have noticed that vulgarity has come to be associated with sincerity, and a "fuck those assholes" attitude has become pretty much the norm. It isn't like that in Japan.

Trump, for one, has ridden the wave, but those who oppose him also think it's all normal. And everybody has guns now.

But talking about it is deemed bad for some reason, so I'll stop.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how does it feel to be born in saudi arabia hourglass 7 560 October 7, 2020 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do I feel so awkward when someone refuses a present from me? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2092 March 30, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  i feel so angry and disapointed I believe in Harry Potter 34 3406 November 5, 2019 at 3:46 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I feel kind of uncomfortable going to counseling Der/die AtheistIn 23 2141 April 11, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I feel like my father is too severe Der/die AtheistIn 10 1044 November 7, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker