Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should you ever get revenge through abuse?
Should you ever get revenge through abuse?
Is it ever justifiable to abuse someone who has wronged you?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Should you ever get revenge through abuse?
No. But that was too short of an answer to post
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(March 21, 2019 at 7:36 pm)tackattack Wrote: No. But that was too short of an answer to post

What if a person can't help, but want to abuse someone who has wronged them?

Charlie Chaplin
Then hopefully their personal morality would suggest that

A. I was abused and it was wrong
B. Abuse is wrong
C. People ( including myself) should abuse others.

Btw, feeling and doing are two different things.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(March 21, 2019 at 7:44 pm)tackattack Wrote: Then hopefully their personal morality would suggest that

A. I was abused and it was wrong
B. Abuse is wrong
C. People ( including myself) should abuse others.

Btw, feeling and doing are two different things.

Should you cut off contact with someone you want to abuse? Maybe then it will be easier to control yourself not to harm them. Should you tell that person: "You're actions were so bad that I feel tempted to harm you, but I won't, because it won't solve anything.", but in a more polite way?

Charlie Chaplin
Separating yourself is not abuse, that is fine and probably healthier than revenge, IMO. I’d be fine saying “You're actions were so bad that I feel tempted to harm you, but I won't, because that is wrong too.”

(March 21, 2019 at 7:33 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Is it ever justifiable to abuse someone who has wronged you?

Define 'abuse'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Should you cut off contact with someone you want to abuse?"

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm hoping you mean some one you want to belt over the left ear with a maggoty possum whenever you see them.

Cut off all contact? Absolutely ! Until such time as you are confident you can control the base desire. to inflict some kind of damage. EG It's getting on for 30 years since my divorce. I've almost reached the point where I don't think I would say withering things to my erstwhile spouse..

I have two people here on ignore because they push my buttons. I have another look every couple of weeks. So far no changes.

I'm embarrassed to admit, there are couple of fundies here who are just too easy, and I can't resit saying unkind things to them. They seem only to only open their mouths to change feet. My bad.

As Frankie Howerd used to say: "it's wicked to mock the afflicted"

On forgiving those who have wounded you: I do try, really. Not for any moral reason, simply because to forgive another is a psychologically healthy.
When you hate, you're the real victim; they don't feel your feelings, and may in fact not think about you at all.

So ,I try to forgive. If i can't forgive, I try to become indifferent, because I think indifference is the greatest possible insult to another person. In not caring if they live or die is to deny their humanity.

A couple of years ago, I learned of the death of a loathed school teacher . I was pleased to discover that I simply didn't care. Same thing with a guy I worked with who was a complete prick. He died a few months ago. my reaction was: "meh"

I guess I sound callous. That's too bad; I am answerable only to my conscience which is alive and well, with far too much Catholic influence..

"Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.”

― Aristotle, The Philosophy of Aristotle

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Depending on the situation, sure. So long as the revenge isn't going to have negative consequences for me and it will feel good to get revenge... why not? However, someone would have to have done some seriously messed up shit to me for me to want to seek revenge. One thing I've learned in my few years here on Earth is that some battles are simply not worth fighting. Some people will never learn, no matter how much you try to 'teach them a lesson.' When I was younger I would sometimes take it upon myself to teach people these lessons, hoping to be the one that put them in their place, once and for all. Save for a few exceptions, it almost never worked. I would get my personal revenge, the situation would be absolved. But then those people would go on doing the same shit, just to other people.

Unfortunately, revenge rarely teaches anyone a lesson. However, some situations do call for revenge. Sometimes, regardless of the consequences. If you hurt someone in my family, especially in a fatal way, I can't say any cost of revenge would be too high for me. Then again, maybe cooler heads would prevail. Who knows? It really depends on the context.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(March 21, 2019 at 7:33 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Is it ever justifiable to abuse someone who has wronged you?

That depends on the type/extent of the offense and abuse. If ignoring some people is abuse, then I'm guilty. If chewing them out is abuse, guilty again.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the world supply of bagels a good social measurement of sexual abuse worldwide or BananaFlambe 11 898 December 4, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] What Is The Hardest Thing You’ve Ever Done? BrianSoddingBoru4 23 1630 July 17, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Have you ever met a stranger? Gawdzilla Sama 11 946 June 24, 2023 at 10:54 am
  Have you ever "ghosted" someone? Why? EgoDeath 30 3850 June 29, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Have you ever been ghosted? Dundee 15 1558 May 6, 2020 at 4:28 pm
  When someone wishes to abuse cuts the contact Der/die AtheistIn 8 959 April 2, 2019 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] You should FEEL BAD because you disagree with me Belacqua 29 2734 March 14, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Should you end the relationship with a person for one big mistake? Der/die AtheistIn 21 1484 March 12, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet