Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you agree?
Would you agree?
Would you agree with the quote below? Why or why not? I pulled it from Conservapedia.org incase you're wondering.

“Humanity is purposeless. You have no value. You’re a meaningless product of a random evolutionary process that initially developed from the spawn of a single-celled organism. The relationships you derive are also meaningless. Everything that you do in this life has no objective value. You’re living day-to-day only to accomplish the goal of mere survival.”
RE: Would you agree?
I would not, as the author of the quote doesn't understand the evolution is not a random process.

Boru

addendum:  I would strongly recommend that you not try to get factual information from Conservapedia.  Doing so is the equivalent of having brain surgery performed by a howler monkey with a hardon and a hacksaw.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
At work.

I disagree since it's opening premise is a poor/primitive straw-man of the development of life on the planet.

The rest is little more than some facless opinion.

Hope that helps. Big Grin
I would shorten that statement and add a couple of sentences:

Humanity is purposeless. Everything that you do in this life has no objective value. Meaning is arrived at through your subjective valuation based on your life experiences. Life is what you make it.
Humans have all the meaning they want - as we invented the concept.

Meaning doesn' t exist in a vacuum.
(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: You have no value.
Wrong. We value each other, most of us at least.

(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: You’re a meaningless product of a random evolutionary process that initially developed from the spawn of a single-celled organism.
Wrong, evolution is not random.

(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: The relationships you derive are also meaningless.
Not to me and not to the people i have relationships with.

(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: Everything that you do in this life has no objective value.
So what?! It has subjective value tho.

(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: You’re living day-to-day only to accomplish the goal of mere survival.”
Exactly, like every other life form that has ever evolved on this planet.
So?
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
No. That's dumb. Also can you say that about all other living organisms?

That Conservapedia article on Evolution gave me cancer.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: Would you agree with the quote below? Why or why not? I pulled it from Conservapedia.org incase you're wondering.

“Humanity is purposeless.

What would humanity having a purpose mean?

I am a useful member of society, a loving father and contribute to the overall good of humanity and try not to harm the world too much.
But what would "humanities" purpose be?

Quote: You have no value.

Again I am a fulling functioning member of society so I do have value.
I think the implication is that I must be assigned value by a higher being, sod that , I give myself my own value.

Quote:You’re a meaningless product of a random evolutionary process that initially developed from the spawn of a single-celled organism.

This person forgot the by natural selection part of evolution and just focused on the random side. Its almost as though they had an agenda.

Quote: The relationships you derive are also meaningless. Everything that you do in this life has no objective value. You’re living day-to-day only to accomplish the goal of mere survival.

Well fuck the dude that wrote that. My relationships have the meaning that I give them, my life has the values that I set and I live my life the best I can to be the best husband father and member of society that I can be. Not living to try to please some fictional character that apparently hates gays and women.

In short, I am better than the god character as portrayed in the bible. I am also better than Darth Vader, who is my opinion a more fully fleshed out character than god.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 7, 2019 at 9:08 am)joe90 Wrote: Would you agree with the quote below? Why or why not? I pulled it from Conservapedia.org incase you're wondering.

“Humanity is purposeless. You have no value. You’re a meaningless product of a random evolutionary process that initially developed from the spawn of a single-celled organism. The relationships you derive are also meaningless. Everything that you do in this life has no objective value. You’re living day-to-day only to accomplish the goal of mere survival.”

A man dies and enters Heaven. He asks God about the purpose of his life to which God replies: "Do you remember that evening at a restaurant forty years ago when a gentleman asked you to pass the salt?"

But seriously, why wouldn't you just set your own goals? It looks good enough for me.
Why would I agree with something so absurd?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3100 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11028 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6374 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion? Salacious B. Crumb 79 11700 May 8, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
Question Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Mudhammam 29 5386 August 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  If you lived in Jesus' day, how would you of responded? Revelation777 169 22312 April 9, 2014 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: siryezser
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12320 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Would you go to church just to prove it won't change anything about you? MilesTailsPrower 66 17020 August 25, 2011 at 2:01 am
Last Post: tavarish