Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it true that the brain is fully at 25-30
is it true that the brain is fully at 25-30
i thought the brain was developed at 18.
RE: is it true that the brain is fully at 25-30
Yes, the prefrontal cortex (decision-making, impulse-control, higher-level reasoning, etc.) doesn't fully mature until about age 25.

Being a teenager can be confusing and frustrating... but it gets better. Wink
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
I think the brain is finished growing to capacity around then, but the mind never stops growing and changing. Smile
(February 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm)joshgold17 Wrote: i thought the brain was developed at 18.

Well, human body development of any kind is rarely perfectly uniform, but this source seems to indicate that it stops developing, generally speaking, a little later than 18 - like around 19-21 years.
Again though, your results may vary.

If you like, I can link other sources also.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(February 2, 2011 at 6:41 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote: Yes, the prefrontal cortex (decision-making, impulse-control, higher-level reasoning, etc.) doesn't fully mature until about age 25.

Better? Really? All I noticed was a more severe kind of problem. However,I've been far less confused since I realised humans are a virus from which the planet will recover sooner rather than later.4 Horsemen
(February 2, 2011 at 6:55 pm)padraic Wrote:
(February 2, 2011 at 6:41 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote: Yes, the prefrontal cortex (decision-making, impulse-control, higher-level reasoning, etc.) doesn't fully mature until about age 25.

Better? Really? All I noticed was a more severe kind of problem. However,I've been far less confused since I realised humans are a virus from which the planet will recover sooner rather than later

Well, I guess I meant the angst and emotional turmoil and identity confusion so often characteristic of adolescence. I know personally I'm extremely happy to be out of my teens... that was a rough period. When you grow up, you understand things a lot better, but you're right, that comes with it's own challenges.

I also hope the planet recovers from our widespread destruction one day. The human species won't last forever, I just wish we'd do a better job of maximizing the time on Earth that we have, by using our supposedly intelligent brains.
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
Only Natural Wrote:Being a teenager can be confusing and frustrating... but it gets better.

It doesn't get better... but it gets a little safer... in some ways.

Watson Wrote:I think the brain is finished growing to capacity around then, but the mind never stops growing and changing.

At some point i'm told it starts deteriorating Big Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Haven't found that point YET.....but us 'oldies are working on it' will get back to you! Great
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It happens in some earlier than others. Or rather, some brains never develop in the first place... Dodgy
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(February 3, 2011 at 10:01 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: It happens in some earlier than others. Or rather, some brains never develop in the first place... Dodgy

ROFLOL

Thanks!! I'm on it!!

ROFLOL
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1060 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 996 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 761 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17425 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 515 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1800 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1055 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  It must be true, because it's a Catholic study Foxaèr 15 1870 January 14, 2018 at 6:38 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  True Facts About... chimp3 0 448 June 17, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11434 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold