Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life is worth losing...
Life is worth losing...
Does this comment by Carlin strike you as Anti AMerican and reframed as a mercenary but actually anti military without actually saying it and thinking like a terrorist and praising them? How do you explain this?   " Human beings will do anything, anything. I am convinced. That's why when all those beheadings started in Iraq, it didn't bother me. A lot of people here were horrified, 'Whaaaa, beheadings! Beheadings!' What, are you fvcking surprised? Just one more form of extreme human behavior. Besides, who cares about some mercenary civilian contractor from Oklahoma who gets his head cut off? Fvck 'em. Hey Jack, you don't want to get your head cut off? Stay the fvck in Oklahoma. They ain't cuttin' off heads in Oklahoma, far as I know. But I do know this: you strap on a gun and go struttin' around some other man's country, you'd better be ready for some action, Jack. People are touchy about that sort of thing. And let me ask you this... this is a moral question, not rhetorical, I'm looking for the answer: what is the moral difference between cuttin' off one guy's head, or two, or three, or five, or ten - and dropping a big bomb on a hospital and killing a whole bunch of sick kids? Has anybody in authority given you an explanation of the difference?" - George Carlin <3
RE: Life is worth losing...
To me, no. I’ve always thought that life was worth losing. It’s part of why I signed up.

I could talk your ear off praising the opposition ( regardless of what they are or anyone wants to label them). I got that from interaction with them. I do think that anyone who wants to stand between them and their targets better be equally committed.

I sometimes crack serious jokes about how shitheads shouldn’t be allowed to fall into the mistake of thinking that they’re the only motherfuckers that would cut someone’s head off.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So you don't think Carlin is praising the terrorists at all? And what about when he said you strap on a gun and such? That is from his comic bit Life Is Worth Losing from 2005 on HBO
It wouldn’t bother me if he were. I have respect for fellow combatants on grounds that go beyond our respective ideologies.

In a better world, we’d be best friends. We have a lot in common with each other and little in common with the people who’s bidding we do.

Yes, if you strap on a gun, you probably should be ready to see the guy standing across from you doing the same. Ultimately, You’re there to shoot at him, to kill him. He has similar ideas.

Carlin may have been “anti american” or “anti troop”.....I disagree there, but the statements aren’t necessarily so.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am sure Carlin is in hell, baking pies without an oven. I will bring fresh beer soon. (Like in the next 60 years or so.)
I don't see Carlin's comment as praising terrorists. I'm sure he's just saying this is Human behavior. All groups will do horrible things if they're allowed to. Guantanamo is a good example of the evil stuff America has done.

I never really understood why beheading is supposed to be so horrific anyway. It's one of the quickest ways to die. Christians have a history of setting people on fire. I think I'd pick being beheaded over that, if I had to make that choice.

We have people in power right now, debating whether or not to nuke countries, while they scream about other countries making nukes. If there's any country that doesn't deserve to have nukes, it's the one who actually launched them. Not the ones trying to make some as a deterrent to keep their regime from getting changed by a hostile foreign government.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yes, quite a lot of what Carlin had to say was anti-American.  One of the reasons I like him.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome back Emil.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(August 6, 2019 at 2:55 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Welcome back Emil.

You sure?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 6, 2019 at 3:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 6, 2019 at 2:55 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Welcome back Emil.

You sure?

Boru

150%
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the suffering worth it Ahriman 99 3621 August 21, 2023 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  William Lane Craig worth $2 million. Jehanne 24 1251 July 25, 2021 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Why the hell do I have the urge to eat an entire days worth of food by noon? EruptedCarcassBloat 81 7930 October 18, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2088 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Am I losing my mind? max-greece 4 1370 October 20, 2013 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Polaris
  How much is a man's virginity worth? Justtristo 17 4585 October 10, 2012 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Losing your virginity. searchingforanswers 129 24999 October 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen